What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so are we all trying to help him figure out what it is or is this another game like guess what this is.

Is this a rare vintage piece of nostalgia or an unknown piece of ??? :huh:
I was told it was an Isley's ice cream scoop.
I am trying to confirm or deny this.

Thanks, Marty

Marty...I think this is a special scoop used by Isley to produce their Skyscraper Cones....Hope it helps!
Edit; The small spoon was a tasting spoon.

That is what I thought.
I remember seeing that pointed scoop on a Pittsburgh Places show but was not able to find one on internet.

I wonder if it could of been used to fill the bottom of a cone?

I paid $1 for it at an estate sale and they said it was an ice cream scoop from Isley's

That is what I thought.
I remember seeing that pointed scoop on a Pittsburgh Places show but was not able to find one on internet.

I wonder if it could of been used to fill the bottom of a cone?

I paid $1 for it at an estate sale and they said it was an ice cream scoop from Isley's

I don't know, but doubt it. The special patented spoon above was probably the only tool used to make the Skyscraper Cones...

it`s Not medical (surgical).
there are far to many inclusions and and nooks and crannys that would serve as breeding ground for all manner of nasties that wouldn`t get targeted by sterilising, Autoclave, Ultrasound, MW etc...

just look at the plain steel spring for instance!
I have medical kit here incl Specula that date back to the 1800`s and even they are far more medically suited than this instrument, yes even the ones that are Banned now for medical usage.

this is either food or Vet related, or some strange country where humanity is not of prime concern! :)

thinking of Humanity Not being of concern, maybe it`s Dental!!!!!! :shock:

Last edited:
You've heard of sand castles. Well this instrument is used to make the sand cones for Chinese rockets used to defend the sand castles. And to make it even more interesting, you take crawfish and insert them into the device before packing it with wet sand, so when the little critter breaks free, you can scare you little sister. Mwaaahahahahaha;)

But really folks, I would think this a food tool, mabe a mold to help shape dough, or a batter around a hot dog, something like that. You could use it to make corn dogs, or pigs-in-the-blanket. Once the food was deep fried, you would just release the handles to release the food from the mold.

I could be way off base, but that's probably what I'd use it for, or maybe for an ice-cream scoop.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A few things that ran through my head are that it could be some kind of crucible holder. That is, it’s designed to hold a vessel like a beaker, test rube, smelting pot, etc that gets hot.

Of perhaps its use to hold a torpedo bottle, or used in the shaping and making of a torpedo bottle.

Or maybe it’s a candy mold of some kind where you pour the hot liquid candy into it, then insert a stick and then open the mold for an instant lollipop.

Some how, I doubt it’s any of those,.....but they did cross my mind.

:)It still looks to me as a medical device quite old maby a dental tool or a vet tool.Looks like you can take it apart to sanitize.It does not look like a cooking tool if it was we should be able to identify it.

It could be a scoop. Look at this antique split scoop found on this site.

scoop_2splt.jpg

I agree GB.....Not related to food, or used to shape something, but rather a tool to pick something up. Something hot maybe......:ermm:

I'm agree with u uncle bob.. I also think the same thing
maybe it be can use to pick up something hot like when we want to move boiled potato/chicken/meet/carcoal maybe??!? :)

I contacted the folks who run the site Keltin just referred to. Sent them a photo. Here's their reply:

Hi, I don believe this is a scoop. As far as I know it is a croquette maker or mold for dumplings or something like that.

Larry Meeker

Last edited:
I contacted the folks who run the site Keltin just referred to. Sent them a photo. Here's their reply:

Hi, I don believe this is a scoop. As far as I know it is a croquette maker or mold for dumplings or something like that.

Larry Meeker

Awesome Buck! Never even thought to do that. You Da Man.....Uh, I mean....You Da Kitty!:LOL:

This thing has been driving me crazy - what the heck is it??? At a friend's house yesterday, she showed me her new pecan sheller. I instantly thought of this - it really looks very similar. However, hers has a series of ridges inside that seem to be for the purpose of gripping the nut securely and the item you have doesn't have that. (BTW, hers really is the best nutcracker I've ever used - I've never shelled pecans so easily.) Maybe you could try putting some different nuts in there and see if it functions as a nutcracker? Here are pics of one like my friend has:

I was hoping that I found some rare item that would make me a fortune on ebay. :mrgreen::w00t:

The people at the estate sale suggested that it was an Isley's ice cream scoop but that is very unlikely. :censored:

I can not think of anything that I have ever cooked that I could of used this on but some type of mold or scoop is most likely.
Guess it is just another item to loose in a drawer or closet.:unsure:

Thanks to all that helped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I subscribe to a magazine called Reminisce. They have a section where you can ask for help with this kind of thing. Most people get an answer and many senior citizens (70's-90's) read the magazine. Some one from that generation may know what it is since it was part of an estate sale. They do have a website Reminisce Magazine – Good Memories of the 20’s, 30's, 40's and 50's where you can see about submitting your object.

I just found this in a box of stuff that I did not know what to do with

While cleaning out a closet today I found this ........ again
I remembered this posting and looked at it again for recommendations of what it might be.
Will be listing it on ebay as a press for a croquet or quinelle

Know it is something that I will never use

Any new ideas of what it might be??????????

Thanks, Marty

Now that I can see the picture, I'd say check with some older gynocologist about this thing before listing in the cooking section.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom