Worms in Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just had this experience a few days ago.
Spent the afternoon cooking a dew Indian dishes.
Just about to prepare the rice.
I unzipped the burlap bag of basmati rice, took out the sealed inner plastic bag containing the rice, and sure enough, saw a maggot- like worm sealed in with the rice.
My wife had to make a quick 'down the block' rice -run so dinner wouldn't be ruined.
S%$T happend, just wish it didnt happen 15 minutes before dinner was ready.

Guess I gotta precheck the rice in advance.

Just had this experience a few days ago.
Spent the afternoon cooking a dew Indian dishes.
Just about to prepare the rice.
I unzipped the burlap bag of basmati rice, took out the sealed inner plastic bag containing the rice, and sure enough, saw a maggot- like worm sealed in with the rice.
My wife had to make a quick 'down the block' rice -run so dinner wouldn't be ruined.
S%$T happend, just wish it didnt happen 15 minutes before dinner was ready.

Guess I gotta precheck the rice in advance.
Iv never seen them in rice, but they come in flour all the time. Manufacturers can't entirely remove insect eggs from grains. I put my flours in the freezer for a few days to kill them.

Thanks for the tip on freezing GG.

I opened a screw top jar where I had stored some extra brown rice. The top 1/3 was completely solid with the webbings of the larva and moths. So disgusting... and what a waste.

Farmer's Almanac gave me a hint on an herb to place in cupboards to discourage the moths. Think it was lavender.

I've never found them in pure flour, mixed ones yes. White rice, no, just the brown. Wonder if that is an indication of how healthy those foods are :LOL::LOL:.

The one I found didn't bother me, its all the ones I didn't find that kinda gross me out a bit.

The worst incident I had of something like this, was my wife made me a fresh salad, picked from the gardener when I got home from work. I put the dressing on, and was just about to dig in, as I saw a slug creeping up the side of the bowl. Took me a few weeks before I was able to eat salad again.

larry, that reminds me of the beef soup my great aunt made. It was winter, Dad had made a cold frame to keep the parsley going all winter, and Nana liked using the parsley. That night at dinner I said to my Mom "why are there little flies in the soup?" First, Mom said it was black pepper. "Um, Mom, pepper doesn't have wings...". :ermm: After that soup, Mom made she she picked and rinsed the parsley when Nana wanted it.

T...Farmer's Almanac gave me a hint on an herb to place in cupboards to discourage the moths. Think it was lavender...
Lavender rice? :huh: Nope, it's bay leaf. I've done the bay leaf in the flour tub before. At least it doesn't flavor the rice or flour like lavender would!

Tips: Bay Leaves in the Pantry

Ahhh, thank you Goddess! You're right - Bay Leaves. But Lavender in rice sort of sounds good. :LOL:

But they didn't say to put it "in" with the food - just into the cupboard. I also imagine fresh bay leaves would be better than dry although they didn't specify.

Ahhh, thank you Goddess! You're right - Bay Leaves. But Lavender in rice sort of sounds good. [emoji38]

But they didn't say to put it "in" with the food - just into the cupboard. I also imagine fresh bay leaves would be better than dry although they didn't specify.
Since I have a bay tree (actually now a shrub) and I haven't bought bay leaves in years, I tried this one time. I cut several sprigs with 5-10 leaves each and put a couple on each shelf of my cupboards that contain dry goods. It didn't help. Since the insect eggs are in the dry goods when you buy them, bay leaves in the cupboard have no effect. Freezing works.

...But they didn't say to put it "in" with the food - just into the cupboard...
"The leaves can be placed in containers of flour, rice, and other dry goods, or taped inside cupboards and shelves."

"Although we cannot offer scientific proof, we can confirm that our grains have been virtually pest-free ever since we started slipping bay leaves into canisters, cupboards, and boxes."

I take it reading comprehension wasn't a strong suit for you in school...:-p FWIW, I've put the bay leaf into the canister, not on a shelf.

"The leaves can be placed in containers of flour, rice, and other dry goods, or taped inside cupboards and shelves."

"Although we cannot offer scientific proof, we can confirm that our grains have been virtually pest-free ever since we started slipping bay leaves into canisters, cupboards, and boxes."

I take it reading comprehension wasn't a strong suit for you in school...:-p FWIW, I've put the bay leaf into the canister, not on a shelf.

The Kitchn doesn't have scientific proof that this works because there isn't any ;)

From http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/insects/find/insect-pests-of-stored-food/

There is no evidence that proves that placing bay leaves or sticks of spearmint gum in a cupboard will prevent or deter stored food insect pests.
If you have older food products and you are not sure if they are infested, you can place these products in the freezer at 0 degrees for at least 4 days or in shallow cookie sheets or pans in an oven at 130 degrees for at least 30 minutes. These temperatures will kill any eggs or insects that may be present.

I have no idea. I've never had an issue with bugs in any dry goods. I must have been living a charmed life. Of course, I've now jinxed myself.

I used to buy regular rice. With four mouths to fill, it was the least expensive way to go. Always checked for bugs and other little goodies. Now I buy the Success Rice Boil A Bag. The small packages. More than enough for just the two of us. According to the box, this rice is partially cooked. Is it possible that little creatures could still develop?

I also have a small bag of barley. I don't know why, but I have always kept barley in the freezer.

I do believe I have become paranoid. I just went out to the kitchen and placed the little bit of regular rice and my barley in zippy bags and put them in the freezer.

This happened to me too. I had purchased a bag of rice from a Korean market. A few weeks later bugs had developed. I took it back to the store and they balked, I asked to see the manager and he took care of it. I forget if I got an exchange or refund.

But the bag was clearly sealed. It's a certainty that they were in the rice when it was packaged. I think the rice is shipped to US in mass quantities and individually packed at a local packing company. A lot of Asian ingredients reach our shores that way, mass --> local packaging.

Bugs and worms are big no-no in kosher so I have to be careful. Had to through rice, noodles and flour more than once.

Only time it happened to us was with whole wheat flour (and once in brown rice) when we lived in the Bahamas - better incubating environment than Colorado I guess. Always had to keep that stuff in the freezer, which was a hassle because we only had the freezer in the fridge, and that stuff takes up room needed for other frozen goods.

I learned long ago that rice and flour in particular have insect eggs that are always harvested with the product. In the case of flour, you get all sorts of ground up bugs after processing. It's impossible to completely remove all such hitchhikers, so you either accept it or don't any grains. When processed the eggs may or may not be killed depending on the level of processing, but alive or dead, whatever remains of the material is still in the product.

This is a good article on the topic: Insects and rodent contamination

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom