How do you say "pecan"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you pronounce "Pecan"?

• puh-con

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • pee-can

Votes: 26 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been thinking about this, and I do believe I say it differently depending on what follows it.

It is a pee-CAN pie, but I probably would buy a bag of p'cons to make it.

Sorry. Pittsburgh dad, Missouri mom, lived all over the country, and have the accent(s) to prove it.

I like the puh can but most of the time I just sat the nuts I have in my back yard. I really
don`t care either is fine for me as long as I can understand what the person is saying.
I just love Paula Dean, I wished I knew her personally.

Can I vote all three?
I'm with BuckyT
Pee-can is how I started, I was born in NYC and learned to talk there
Puh-cahn is how I say it now or I get laughed at
Peh-cahn is how it turns out, because I am now "bi-lingual"

i've heard a number of southerners complain about paula's overdone accent, but hey, it's showbiz.

for me, it's pe-con. not so much puh-con. the "e' is slightly pronounced.

I'm with buckytom on this one... I only started saying pee-can when I saw that movie When Harry Met Sally. I could not get pee-can out of my mind after that! :LOL:

I can't go with either pronunciation listed. Phonetically, I pronounce it pee-con, with long e and short o sounds. And what I really know is that they taste great.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm with buckytom on this one... I only started saying pee-can when I saw that movie When Harry Met Sally. I could not get pee-can out of my mind after that! :LOL:

A pee-can is what I use when I'm fishin' on a boat and can't get to the shore in a reasonable amount of time.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Pee-can.

Which is weird.

I'm thinking about the word 'research' which is the word I use to test whether I'm pronoucing something in UK English or American English, Autrailasian English or West Indian English (oh the joys of crossculturalism!).

In American English it tends to be the stress on the first syllable, like REsearch, where as in English-English its re SEARCH. So weird that this nut thing flips it.

One day I'll say everything correctly in some country somewhere, rofl.

In the U.S., the pronunciation of the word "research", depends on how it's used. If you use "research" as a noun, like in the sentence "I have much research to do before the semester's end.", then the first syllable is emphasized. If on the other hand, the word is used as a verb - "I need to research the subject further.", then the last syllable is emphasized.

At least that's how it is among the people I know.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I grew up saying "pe-con" and have heard the many others already mentioned (I read the thread thru) but the most interesting pronunciation was from one of my little first graders who was happy to inform me that he had a "pay-cahn" (with HEAVY accent on "cahn" and said quickly. He proudly pointed pointed to his pants pocket. I asked him 3 times to repeat the word and finally exasperated with my ignorance he pulled out a pecan. How cute! Thank goodness he had brought the evidence. Oh, did I mention that he was born and raised in the heart of Cajun Land.......

Just saw the poll. I can't vote, I say pee-con

edited to say: as I guess a lot of others do, too :)

Back
Top Bottom