OK....fess up!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bread crumbs? Really? I don't make my own, because I use all my bread. I don't consider using then semi. And I do use canned tomatoes; puree, paste, stewed & sauce and still consider that homemade too. I don't make/grow all my own spices either. To me that's the same as the breadcrumbs.
The only boxed thing I think I use is Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes, with homemade meat and veggies. So 1/3 bought, 2/3 homemade. I use them in place of noodles, rice or potatoes when the meat I make doesn't have enough juice for gravy. Like breaded, fried fish or porkchops or chicken cutlets. Everyone loves them and makes mealtime short prep.

My interpretation of Semi-Homemade would be . . . . . . actually is suddenly being reconsidered. I was going to say using things like Campbell's cream of ________ soup, but then I realized IMHO that is a legit ingredient. So, in light of that, I would think things like prepackaged stuffing, bread crumbs, or boxed items like Rice A Roni as part of the meal or dish would make it semi-home made. Things commonly and readily made from scratch yet instead pre-prepared items are used. It would seem to be based largely on one's culinary ability; people have different levels of skill/ability/education/time and money. I know how but never have made my own stock/broth, so my using canned or boxed is IMHO "semi". That said, someone not knowing how to make stock/broth ought to use canned or boxed and it not be considered "semi". I realize that is a very simplistic metaphor (or is it analogy, I can't remember!).

fixed:chef:

Back
Top Bottom