Salad in a tomato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, but if it's a macaroni type salad, that consistancy, maybe an ice cream scoop?

I've used them for chicken salad too. My Mom used to put cottage cheese in a tomato.

I have a question - are you looking for something different to serve a salad in or is this question about the tomato, and what to fill it with?

Chef June, I know about the chicken / tuna salad. I am looking for something kind of one off.

Family dinner this weekend. I am thinking of this for a salad, Paella for a main course, for desert I am thinking of a tricolor parfait of fresh made fruited Yogurt (Blueberry, Mango and Raspberry). I think / hope the paella will stand alone as a main course, can't think of a veggie and the rice will be the starch. People that I have never had in the house before kind of want a shocker.

AC

Hi KE - Sorry that I was too late on the dishwasher for bread.

In the post above I put what I am thinking. No groceries have been bought yet. I am still scheeming. The occasion is my stepson's wife's birthday. Both stepsons, with the birthday girl's parrents there. and the girlfriend of the other stepson, who I think the world of. I was kind of kicking aroung some fresh mozarella, tomato chunks, cucumber and chopped fresh basil with a little olive oil, adobe and some salt & pepper. Trying to think of an interesting garnish.

BTW - Loved the thumb hole in the burgers another great idea that I never thought of.

AC

I like most anything in a tomato. Lobster salad, cottage cheese, tuna. Not shocking but good.

What about a pasta (orzo) salad made with pesto. Stick in a slice of toasted baguette.

Adillo,
if your main course is going to be paella, if it were me I"d stay away from any more starch in your tomato, ever think of maybe a gazpacho in your tomato? I'd just make it more chunky and less soupy..Adding some avocado would make it heaven for me. Or you could do the chopped tomato, bread, mozzerella dressed with a little balsamic and evoo and some shredded fresh basil...You could also do a veggie aspic using finely chopped cucumber, green onion, avocado, tomato, and a little crab...then top with a little chive mayo
kadesma

kadesma has an excellent idea with the gazpacho (and I think you already have a recipe???? **wink wink**). Yes, just chunkier!

Paella, huh? How about grilling some romaine and a few other veggies. Cut everything up after grilled to fit in the tomato cup. Toss with just a bit of olive oil and some of the herbs from the paella (garlic/thyme/rosemary/cumin?).

Depending on how much seafood is in your paella dish, you could stuff the tomato with crab meat au gratin (sprinkled with breadcrumbs). Let me know if you would like the recipe & I will pm it to you. Tomatoes stuffed with shrimp salad and baby peas. Have some recipes for Greek stuffed tomatoes, or tomatoes *cut in half lenghtwise, hollowed out & baked w feta etc or goat cheese.

*Cutting the tomatoes in half & hollowing out is easier to stuff. Another presentation/method is to cut the tomatoes in wedges, but not all the way through -- like a flower. Then place your filling in the center.

Combine chopped, marinated artichoke hearts, sliced black olives, & small chunks of cheese - marinated mozzarella, or crumbled feta cheese. Mix it all together & stuff your tomatoes. You might serve steamed baby artichokes on the side.

Maybe just tomato aspic, and slices of avacado, with a dressing...Something along the lines of a kicked up buttermilk ranch.

I wonder how it would work if this was served on grilled romaine...Hmmmmm

I think that I am down with either the Gazpacho or the aspic that Kadsemsa suggested. I have hever made and aspic and I have to figgure that out if anyone has directons.

AC

Ah, tomato aspic. Uncle Bob, you're after my own heart - lol!! My mom LOVED to make aspic sides, using everything from spicy tomato juice thru Clamato. Always fabulous. Wish my husband was willing to down it. Sigh.

I think that I am down with either the Gazpacho or the aspic that Kadsemsa suggested. I have hever made and aspic and I have to figgure that out if anyone has directons.

AC
Aspic as I recall is really dissoulving several envelopes of Knox gelatin in water...then adding some tomato juice and your chopped veggies putting it in the mold and letting it set up..I bet Breezy cooking could help you as she mentioned her mom use to make aspic.. think she mentioned v-8 juice which I love so give her an ask:) Gazpacho is easy as well..I'll try to help either way.
kades

Back
Top Bottom