ISO Unique Hors d'oeuvres

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah--after all the great suggestions, too. Which ones did you pitch (that were too expensive for the budget)?
Alot of the options are labor intensive which raises cost as well as using salmon & crabmeat.

I should not be hanging around the 'puter in Gala week, but I saw the inquiry and couldn't resist chiming in.

We are in the midst of apps taste trials for the Gala. The menu has been set for a month, but turning the menu into recipes is another matter. LOL. Apps you might use do come to mind from what we are doing.

The boursin stuffed cukes are turning out well. 1 1/2 cuke slices (skin scored), with a 1 inch melon baller center cut out and filled with boursin cheese. Oddly enough the stuffed celery sticks are amazingly good. They went on the menu almost in protest because of the "something normal" request from our pastor, LOL. Thus far we have a really good Asiago/parm/mozz/roasted pepper with a cream cheese binder topped with basil, a jap/pineapple/bell/cream cheese and a kalamata hummus going on. We plan to use a few pieces on each tray almost as a garnish. We will line up the whole trimmed celery sticks on a half sheet, covered with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap, put the fillings in zip locks, and at the right time cut a corner from the bags, fill the sticks, and cut the stuffed sticks into 1 inch bites.

This isn't a TNT true yet, but the trials have been yummy, quirky, and satisfying.

Last year for the same party I am working on now, we did a riff on "shrimp and grits" for an app. We made up the grits, spread them thin, chilled them, then fried whole sheets(as big as we could flip on the flat top), cut out 1 1/2" circles and topped with hot cajun seasoned shrimp. We stuck the shrimp to the cake with a dollop of fresh mayo, but to the life of me I don't remember what flavor we used, though we stared with a generally available cajun seasoning and fiddled - best guess more thyme or sage - those are our "go to" flavor solutions. I do know that for 350 folks, we served just over a thousand.

I should not be hanging around the 'puter in Gala week, but I saw the inquiry and couldn't resist chiming in.

We are in the midst of apps taste trials for the Gala. The menu has been set for a month, but turning the menu into recipes is another matter. LOL. Apps you might use do come to mind from what we are doing.

The boursin stuffed cukes are turning out well. 1 1/2 cuke slices (skin scored), with a 1 inch melon baller center cut out and filled with boursin cheese. Oddly enough the stuffed celery sticks are amazingly good. They went on the menu almost in protest because of the "something normal" request from our pastor, LOL. Thus far we have a really good Asiago/parm/mozz/roasted pepper with a cream cheese binder topped with basil, a jap/pineapple/bell/cream cheese and a kalamata hummus going on. We plan to use a few pieces on each tray almost as a garnish. We will line up the whole trimmed celery sticks on a half sheet, covered with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap, put the fillings in zip locks, and at the right time cut a corner from the bags, fill the sticks, and cut the stuffed sticks into 1 inch bites.

This isn't a TNT true yet, but the trials have been yummy, quirky, and satisfying.

Last year for the same party I am working on now, we did a riff on "shrimp and grits" for an app. We made up the grits, spread them thin, chilled them, then fried whole sheets(as big as we could flip on the flat top), cut out 1 1/2" circles and topped with hot cajun seasoned shrimp. We stuck the shrimp to the cake with a dollop of fresh mayo, but to the life of me I don't remember what flavor we used, though we stared with a generally available cajun seasoning and fiddled - best guess more thyme or sage - those are our "go to" flavor solutions. I do know that for 350 folks, we served just over a thousand.
What is boursin cheese?

What is boursin cheese?
I hadn't thought about how Southern that was. It is a spiced cream cheese spread. I make mine with cream cheese, lots of garlic, some marjoram, more oregano, capers always, anchovies or olives sometimes.

Google gives you tons of recipes, which surprised me, because around here we just make it , LOL

I hadn't thought about how Southern that was. It is a spiced cream cheese spread. I make mine with cream cheese, lots of garlic, some marjoram, more oregano, capers always, anchovies or olives sometimes.

Google gives you tons of recipes, which surprised me, because around here we just make it , LOL

What you make may be like Boursin, but Boursin is the trademark of a French cheese company. Real Boursin isn't made with cream cheese. Boursin (cheese) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom