Cold water thawing turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A 4k bird. Four kilograms is almost 9 pounds. That bird should thaw easily in time for Christmas dinner or even for tonight if that's the plan.

I don't think it's close to 40F. It seems as cold as ice water. I've tried in the past - a glass of ice water and winter tap water and they feel the same. If I had thermometer that measured in the right temperature range and was immersible, I would go measure it now.

An instant-read thermometer for meat should work for water, too. Do you have one of those?

An instant-read thermometer for meat should work for water, too. Do you have one of those?
Nope. I have a couple of old meat thermometers and a candy thermometer that works better than any previous thermometer that I have had and is fairly instant, but its lower limit is 100 F. I went to check on the candy thermometer and found that I still have an old "instant" read thermometer. It's not as instant as that candy thermometer, so we don't use it anymore and I forgot about it. I put it in a cup and ran the cold water until it stabilized. It said 32F. I won't swear to its accuracy. The face is tiny and it's marked in 2 degree increments.

Back
Top Bottom