Change of plans, Jungle Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
The other day I asked for quasi Mediterranean appetizer ideas for my daughter's first birthday party. I got tons of great suggestions & have saved many of them for later use, but last night I realized that Mediterranean themed food just didn't make that much sense at a Jungle-themed birthday party. I had only chosen the food because it sounded like it would taste good and frankly, those are the flavors I work most with. I hadn't gone shopping yet, so I decided to change the direction the food was going in to make it fit better with the rest of the party. I'm keeping some of the old ideas & adjusting a couple ingredients/adding creative names and presentation, and added a couple more. Here's what I've got now:

Animal Crackers
"Monkey treats" (tike treats, Merstar’s suggestion from the previous thread)
Knox Blox cut out with animal shapes
"Hum-vee"Hummus
flatbread cut into animal shapes
Fresh veggies
Fruit skewers
Chicken skewers
Popcorn
So, if anyone's willing to grant me their patience, now I'm looking for a new marinade for the chicken and a tasty seasoning to toss popcorn in (I have an absurd amount of microwave popcorn, light butter flavor & light salt & would like to use some of it up). Also, I'm going to try to make the flatbread at home. I think cutting shapes out of a larger sheet will be more efficient than out of the smaller pieces you get at stores. Any opinions on unleavened vs. soda vs. yeast? especially with hummus? I don't have a large griddle so I've been looking at baked recipes, but there are so many types!. I'm still open to another appetizer or 2 if anyone has something fun & tasty in mind. Thanks!

I know someone mentioned cream cheese,crackers and pepper jelly.

You could make a cream cheese volcanoe that spewed the jelly.
spread the crackers around the base and have some small plastic animals or broccoli rabe for trees.

Jungle juice! (punch)

Veggie Animals. (Google it-lots of ideas)

Sausage snake.

I have all kind of dips,appy's I'd be more than happy to help. Are the dips for adults? How about for kids mine loe to dunk dunk:LOL:Ok one that I do is easy, take a sheet of puff pastry, flaten a little cut small strips, take one strip wrap it around a stuffed green olive with pimento, bake in 350 oven til golden yiummy abd that's all you do..
I have more just let me know, but right now I've been ordeed to bed for my neck and shoulders. Will be back later to check.
kades

Could you use two vocanoes? If so, an Amazon Jungle Volcano made from soft metloaf shaped as a volcano with a spicy mole or enchilada sauce dripping from the volcanic cone, all down to a jungle seen made from refried beans with savory animal crackers and micro-greens for the vegetation. The river could be made with a brown sauce to represent the muddy Amazon. Throw in some goldfish crackers for a hoot.

The meatloaf is seasoned with cumin, cilantro, and peppers of your choice, salt and pepper, minced onions, and maybe a mixture of 70% ground beef, and 30% chorizo. Add some lime juice and a bit of guacamole to look like moss on the volcano.

I think you probably don't need this, but it was a fun though in my head, so I put it down.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Marinade...jungle theme screams Hawaii to me which means teriyaki. Brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, oil and a splash of white wine. That should do the trick.

Could you use two vocanoes? If so, an Amazon Jungle Volcano made from soft metloaf shaped as a volcano with a spicy mole or enchilada sauce dripping from the volcanic cone, all down to a jungle seen made from refried beans with savory animal crackers and micro-greens for the vegetation. The river could be made with a brown sauce to represent the muddy Amazon. Throw in some goldfish crackers for a hoot.

The meatloaf is seasoned with cumin, cilantro, and peppers of your choice, salt and pepper, minced onions, and maybe a mixture of 70% ground beef, and 30% chorizo. Add some lime juice and a bit of guacamole to look like moss on the volcano.

I think you probably don't need this, but it was a fun though in my head, so I put it down.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am so doing this for a work night food fest! I try to do something about once a month for our hungry crew at night! Thanks!!!:chef:

You all thought animals, I thought insects. How about Ants on a log. For those who don't know its celery spread with peanut butter and studded with raisins. Just a thought.

You all thought animals, I thought insects. How about Ants on a log. For those who don't know its celery spread with peanut butter and studded with raisins. Just a thought.

Would you believe I've eaten them within the last week & still didn't think of adding them to the party? They're now on the list. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom