Fussy eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for your lovely and well thought reply. I was not offended. I know there is a whole gambit of parenting style and if the kids grow up healthy and happy, we are all doing it right regardless of style.

Little guy vomited last night. Poor dude. I never force food (memories of YOU MUST CLEAN YOUR PLATE as a child fixed me of that one).
Best thing I think that he didn't eat last night. All he got from me is "Oh well, if you don't want that, you don't have to eat it but that is it until breakfast."

He seems perky this morning and is happily eating old fashioned oatmeal, or as my kids call it thanks to me, porridge. He just told me he wants to stay home. Actually he is a little queezy... I had better go.

He really doesn't sound all that picky to me for a 3 year old. It hasn't been that long ago that his main interest was formula or breast milk. I know adults that would not eat the variety that your 3 year old is eating. I would work with what he likes and add an item every now and then.

Oldvine said:
He really doesn't sound all that picky to me for a 3 year old. It hasn't been that long ago that his main interest was formula or breast milk. I know adults that would not eat the variety that your 3 year old is eating. I would work with what he likes and add an item every now and then.

Good, sensible advice, Oldvine.

A friend of mine always says to kids, "I want you to taste it so we know if you are old enough to like this yet."

Just about any kid will give the food an open-minded taste.

I am challenged as well with my 4 and 6 yr olds. I cook South Asian food mostly and they usually eat most that is served. However, feeding them protein is a task for me. Nothing besides store bought frozen breaded chicken nuggets or chicken strips works.

Getting them to eat potatoes and cheese, however, is easy. If its fries...I tend to bake them, with a drizzle of olive oil, as opposed to frying them. A good way to make potatoes tasty for the kids is to prepare potato cakes or patties with boiled, mashed potatoes, grated cheese (cottage or cheddar...or any other that would go well with potatoes) seasoning....and herbs of your choice. They may be optional, too. Cook the cakes/patties on a flat girdle, or shallow fry in a pan, till golden brown and crispy on either side. You can some other boiled veggies too..like beans, carrots or peas.

My kids love them with lots of ketchup!

Back
Top Bottom