2024 NFL Draft - Mock top 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr morbius

Senior Cook
Here's how I think the first ten picks in April's NFL draft will shake out. I am assuming no trades.

1. Chicago - Caleb Williams. As I've written before, I don't think any other team will be willing to give up what this pick is worth, so I predict the Bears will keep it. And while Marvin Harrison Jr. is the best prospect in 2024, no position has more value than quarterback, and the Bears will want to reset their cap space clock. I love Justin Fields, like many other Bears fans, but I think we're going to have to say goodbye.

2. Washington - Jayden Daniels. The current Commanders QB is Sam Howell, who went to North Carolina just like Drake Maye... and in fact preceded Maye as the Tarheels starter. They're best friends. I don't think drafting Maye, and forcing Howell to watch his best buddy take his job from the bench, is conducive to a harmonious locker room. Jayden Daniels has everything a team could want. Maye has prototype size, but hasn't been tested to the level Daniels saw at LSU. I may be wrong, but I think Washington will like Daniels over Maye.

3. New England - Drake Maye. He doesn't look as good as Williams but a lot of analysts think he's a better prospect than Daniels. He's 6'4" and about 230 lb, and that's important if you're going to be surrounded by offensive and defensive linemen, who tend to be enormous human beings. He has a good arm and makes good decisions. The Patriots have new coaching and this is a perfect time for them to admit they were wrong about Mac Jones.

4. Arizona - Marvin Harrison Jr. His father is in the NFL hall of fame. He's 6'4", 205 lb, runs a 4.3 40, and has 150 catches in 37 games. He's fast and he simply does not drop passes. He's a terrific route runner. His NFL comp is A.J. Green, who's been to the pro bowl 7 times. There's no such thing as a can't miss prospect, but... this guy is a football God. Whichever team takes him will be suddenly two or three wins better, if not more. Arizona still misses Larry Fitzgerald; Marvin Junior will make them forget about Fitzgerald.

5. Los Angeles Chargers - Joe Alt. Joe Alt is arguably a prototype left tackle: 6'8", 322 lb. He has allowed just four sacks in his college career, which spans three seasons. His father, John Alt, played for the Chiefs for a long career. It's a really good year for tackles, and Alt looks like the best. There's a possibility that the Chargers with new coach Jim Harbaugh will take the second best player in the draft, Brock Bowers, but it is very unlikely anyone will draft a tight end so high.

6. New York Giants - Malik Nabers. In any other year, Nabers would be the consensus #1 receiver in the draft. He's only 6'0", which is a little shorter than one would ultimately prefer, but he's lightning fast and runs good routes. He played in the SEC with Jayden Daniels, which means he has faced the best corners in college football, and caught 189 passes for over 3000 yards. The thing about Nabers is his burst; he goes from standing still to full speed in the blink of an eye. This means he will get separation on a regular basis against most corners. Daniel Jones is about to look a lot better.

7. Tennessee - Olu Fashanu. He is 6'6" and weighs 317 lb, with good speed for a man so large. Paired with Peter Skoronski, who they drafted last year, the Titans will be better able to protect Will Levis and importantly, will be a very good running team once again.

8. Atlanta - Rome Odunze. 188 receptions for 3060 yards in 36 games. 6'3", 215 lb, also 4.3 in the 40 yard dash. If not for Malik Nabers incredible burst, Odunze might rate higher. As the featured receiver in the Huskies wide-open passing attack, he has run every conceivable kind of route. He tends to win contested catches.

9. Chicago - Jared Verse. In 24 games at Florida State, he racked up 18 sacks and a stunning 29.5 tackles for loss. At 6'4", 260 lb, he's a little light for a defensive end, but he's fast and we know how to make food appealing in Chicago.

10. New York Jets - Taliese Fuaga. 6'6", 334 lb. Played for Oregon State and pushed people around for three years. Good quickness; able to adjust to outside pressure or inside. Absolutely necessary for a team with a 40 year old quarterback.

Whew! Now, it's only March 1, so this could change. I certainly hope one of those three receivers drops to the Bears at #9, but right now I don't see it.

I am going to be furious if the Bears cut Justin. It won't do to get Caleb as they still have not addressed the coaching problem nor does a new QB address the existing holes in the team. :angry:

Holy cow, Dr.! You are so informed, up on teams' strengths and weaknesses, and the draftees abilities. Amazing!
I was going to do an entire first round until I realized these prognosticators on the internet were actually doing their fair share of work on this. Mind you, I could be completely wrong, and I really, really hope I'm wrong about one of those three wonderful receiving prospects falling to #9.

The internet can be a great source of information or misinformation. One has to do a lot of double-checking, but one can find out plenty.

@Kathleen: the Bears will not cut Justin. He has value. I think they will trade him, most likely for a late 2nd round pick or an early 3rd. I don't want them to do this either, but I expect they will.

My head is still spinning from my Steelers trading all their QBs for Russel Wilson and Justin Fields. I haven't thought about the draft.

CD

My head is still spinning from my Steelers trading all their QBs for Russel Wilson and Justin Fields. I haven't thought about the draft.

CD
I think you have a franchise qb with Justin. The BEARS were fools to give him up. Perhaps Russell can show him so ropes. Goodness knows the kid got little coaching in Chicago.

Yep, I am furious with the BEARS.

I think you have a franchise qb with Justin. The BEARS were fools to give him up. Perhaps Russell can show him so ropes. Goodness knows the kid got little coaching in Chicago.

Yep, I am furious with the BEARS.

I'm thinking they expected too much from Justin too soon. It would be good for him to spend a season backing up a veteran QB. Same with Kenny Pickett, who was traded to the Eagles. Too much, too fast at Pittsburgh.

I hope I'm right about that.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom