Hatch Chile season!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef

Chef Extraordinaire
The hatch chiles are now being picked in New Mexico and being shipped all over, and this years crop are muy picante!

If you have access to Hatch chiles (try Whole Foods if all other sources are exhausted) here is a recipe for a hatch green chile enchilada sauce that will make your eyeballs sweat! If you've lived in New Mexico, you find out real fast that green sauce is hotter than red sauce.

Green Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:

· 2 Tbs light olive oil
· ½ cup chopped onion
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 2 Tbs cornstarch
· 4 Tbs water
· ¼ tsp cumin
· ¼ tsp black pepper
· 1½ cups vegetable broth
· 1 cup Hatch chiles, roasted, peeled and chopped
· ¼ tsp dried oregano
· ½ tsp salt
· 1 medium jalapeno, chopped (optional)
Instructions:

In a medium saucepan, heat the light olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until the onions are translucent, but not browned. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 to 45 seconds more, just until fragrant.
Mix the cornstarch and water together. Slowly pour in the broth, then add the cornstarch and water, whisking constantly so that is stays smooth.
Add all the remaining ingredients to the onion and broth mixture and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should be thickened just enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add more broth to thin it out if it is too thick.
Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Last edited:
I checked into getting some from an on line source. Nothing in stock yet, but they are taking pre-orders.

Just came back from the Green Grocer, who had a HUGE selection
of mild, medium and hot fresh Hatch chiles.
Here in Arizona, most places have a 'roasting station' set up
out back, so if you want yours toasty, it's free, and smells so good.
I like mine mild or medium (depends on the year) made up
as Chile Relleno with 'Christmas Sauce', both red and green on the plate.

Back
Top Bottom