How do you learn to cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would start off learning how to cook pasta and progress from there. Buy a digital meat thermometer that can be left inside the food while it's cooking in the oven. I think this single piece of equipment could have shortened the learning curve for me a lot. It's almost foolproof cooking. The important thing is cooking the food for the right amount of time and making sure it is done to your liking. Seasonings aren't as important as doneness. Then after you learn that then you can figure out how to make sauces, soups, rubs etc. Start off with the basics - salt and pepper. I know that sounds nuts to someone that doesn't cook, but after cooking for myself for 10 years my favorite steak is just salt and pepper. Hope this helps. Listen to what the others said about garlic too. Also olive oil is your best friend.

I learned by watching others. I now watch Food Network, even if you don't cook what they are cooking you will learn things.

Experiment and have fun. Don't stress about it!

We used to eat out a lot during the week. But now we're trying to save that money so I found a book for beginning cooks. Well, I just love it. It has hundreds of recipes in it and every one just uses like 5 things. And it's stuff I usually already have in my cabinet.
The best part is that my picky DDs will actually eat the stuff I cook! LOL (That is something new).

It's called:
500 Fast & Fabulous Five Star 5 Ingredient Recipes by Gwen McKee and Barbara Moseley, and I think it cost about $16. I have already saved probably $200 in a month since we quit driving through for dinner. So I'm happy with it.

Oh, I got it at Amazon.

This kind of book is so useful! I've seen a few like it and they're great for quick meals.

Hello,
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I will give what I use.... just the basics.
Cookware

-small, medium and large saucepans
-small, medium and large skillets (for frying eggs, making omelets, sauteeing vegies and browning/frying meat
-One large, heavy-duty skillet/sauce pan that can be used for soup, stews/frying onion rings, french fries or chicken wings
Dutch oven (can also be used for frying), roasting pan, Crock-pot... to make roasts, soups, stews. (the roasting pan for the beef/pork roasts or whole chickens/turkeys)

Untensils

wooden spoons (some people don't like using these, but they are great for -quick stirring. If you have an extra-long one, it's wonderful for mixing homemade lemonade and iced tea)
-slotted spoons (to drain off liquid from meats/vegies)
-spatulas (to lift off your grilled cheese to scraping off the excesss, when you mix a bowl of brownies)
-tongs are great to flip things over or to remove slices/pieces of meat from a pan, when they're in liquid....OR when you're frying chicken wings,onion rings, french fries, etc...easy to take out of the hot oil.
images

-Grater/microplane.... you'd use the grater if you wanted shred carrots, cabbage, cheese, etc. The microplane is more used for cheeses (hard cheeses, like parmesan or romano for a nice topper to topper to salads and pasta dishes) and to add lemon/orange zest to recipes
images
images

-a VERY good set of kitchen knives. I love Henkel knives... BUT, I have used inexpensive knives that do the trick..... to slicing meat or paring vegies. The key is that they are sharp. Henkel seems to stay sharp, very long.
-various sizes of mixing bowls. I love Pyrex. You can beat eggs (medium), stir/whisk dressings/sauces (small), mix batter for breads/brownies/cookies or put together salads (large).
whisk (for beating eggs!! Also, mixing a vast menagerie of sauces or soups)
-I, also set out 3-4 regular spoons, so I can taste-test, while I cook. That is so I don't have to rinse off the spoon all the time, while I'm cooking.

Small Appliances (a few are obvious)

-can opener
-toaster
-microwave ovens are great to thaw out meats, (BUT I tend to use the meat for soups, stews, salads--it's tends to partially cook the meat under DEFROST.) cook vegies in a snap, (BUT not on HIGH. Depending on the oven, Power Level 7 - three minutes, for two servings.) reheating, (When you want to reheat leftovers, start out at 2 minutes, Power Levl 7-8, stirring or turning over. They seems to cook very uneven), and boiling hot water for recipes or a cup o' tea.
-stick blender/immersion blender
images

This is great for mixing soups, while still in the pan. Also, good for pureeing vegies (potatoes for mashed or others for baby food). They are great for crushing ice and making smoothies, too. Mine came with an extra-large tumber for the task. Many have different attachments. If you choose to purhase one, look for what is practical for you.
-George Foreman indoor grill/sandwich maker.
images

You can various sizes. For two, I would get the larger one. You'll have the luxury of grilling, indoors! They make smaller ones that are great for melt/panini sandwiches, or a single chicken breast/fish filet. You don't have to get George Foreman as they have many off-brands. Make sure they don't have "wells."
images

Those are for pocket/filled sandwiches. Just look for the kind that have the grates, like on a normal grill.

Cutting boards

-small to large-sized boards are use for slicing bread or cooked meat. (I have separate Large ones for slicing raw meat as in chicken) The smaller-medium are for vegies or fruit.

Mixers

-a whisk is a good mixing tool, but there are other options. The immersion blender (mentioned above) is good for SOME things. Other than that, the hand-held mixer is great for beating eggs to batters... read the manual, and sometimes they come along with recipes. If you want to really to get professional, there is the counter-top mixer. They come with different attachments.
images

I think that is about it. Sorry, if I rambled on. I gained most of my experience from growing up in a cooking family, along with watching many cooking programs. In the early years; Julia Child, Martin Yan, Jeff Smith, Graham Kerr and Justin Wilson. I started watching the Food Network in 1995, even though they started in '93. Emeril Lagasse and Paula Deen really have the "enthusiasm" for cooking, which is important, I think. Robin Miller has taught me a lot when you work long hours during the week. If you like the Food Network, take notes! They also have some great cooking shows on PBS, depending on where you live.

Don't expect rainbows when making egg dishes. Julia Child couldn't get it right on the air!... it takes practice.

I also read cookbooks for tips and techniques.

I hope I helped.

-Vanilla Bean

I realize that my previous post probably won't be of much use to you, since you are just starting out, etc. When I reread your post again, i really feel like I probably confused you, than help. :ermm:

You should probaby start out with simple recipes... 5 ingredients or less.... that you have heard of. This site and a couple others are great for teaching you about different ingredients... everything from meat to lettuce!

For some reason, I got the impression that you wanted some basic tools to get started cooking and how we learned to cook. :neutral:

Good luck, and let us know what you try to make in the future!

Dang...I this got kinda long...I been busy studying and being lazy, sorry if I'm bumping this up from the dead. I just went through these posts real fast, but I'll definitely go back and reread when my eyes don't feel like closing on me D:

I just bought "Cook with Jamie, my guide to making you a better chief" and I kinda regret it =[ It talked about how he wanted to teach people how to cook real food cause of the way foods are right now and how people these days don't even know how to cook and he wants to help/change that. I like the idea, but when I look at the pictures of the recipes, theres only 1 or 2 out of all of them that I like. LOL!! I'll check of the other books in this thread in a month or something, I had to get new tires on my car cause they are all worn and smooth and the roads get kinda wet now...=[

I've been watching food network a bit more! I don't really like some of the shows like the sugar structure making competition and stuff that don't really teach you how to cook, but I do like some of the cooking shows like Giada at home or w/e. I think I get intimidated by the real meals that involve actual cooking with meat and stuff and gravitate toward the more desserty stuff. My goal is to learn to cook/eat more healthy though but I can't help it =/

I think I just have too high expectations when I start out with stuff...like watching iron chief where the cheifs get a secret ingredient and start making stuff from it without and previous planning or recipe written down. Thats what I wanna do!! Not just follow recipes and depend on them all the time. And then things like the plates they have on TV that are squares and nice looking, we have round ones :yuk:. See...expectations too high...Can't let this stop me though... :neutral:

And Vanilla Bean, thanks for all the info, it looks really well organized and with pictures too. Those equipments look really nice, better than what I have to work with at home D:. I need to learn basic everything right now so basic tools helps =]

Don't worry guys, I'll make something...one day. All your efforts will not go to waste!! :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned to cook from my Mom and Grandma first. Then I washed dishes in a kitchen and showed an interest in learning. Eventually I was running the place. These days I experiment at home a lot. I have a website devoted to teaching cooking meat howtocookmeat.com But I think you should start with something a little easier. Ask around for help from people you know. We can tell you all sorts of things but if some one could show you it would be easier for you.
Good luck

As a professional Chef who sometimes gets hired out to do cooking parties I have found one common thing among these people: They are SCARED of food. They have a passion and a good palate, they are adventurous with eating and dining out but are TERRIFIED to cook anything with the fear of messing up! My advice to everyone and anyone is this...it is only food. How can you let food dictate what you are going to do with it. Mess around, try something new, eat your mistakes in private and show of your accomplishments! I always feel that everyone should start with egg cookery before anything else. You make scrambled, omelettes, over easy, sunny sides, soufles, meringue. You can progress and understand a lot of fundamentals in cooking eggs. Every professional chef I know and talk to often, agree egg cookery is a VERY importat skill and is the building blocks to becoming a talented cook. Then read about quick breads, muffins, cookies, etc. Pastas next. basic protein, chicken, shrimp....etc. There is tons of literature out there, go with something pedestrian like the Joy of Cooking. It is cliche, but theres a reason its been selling so many copies for years and years. You also have an invaluable asset by joining this site. I have only been a member for a few days and all these people are great.

I agree with all of you.......Chef Paul, I was totally and utterly scared of bread dough and pie dough...........but I got my hands into it and finally got a feel for it....esp bread dough......when I realized I couldn't hurt the dough and it was more of afraid of me (you'd better rise-----now I make a yeast sponge first) I gained such confidence.......even my mother-in-law wouldn't attempt bread by hand.......now I make all kinds......a few pie doughs did go flying across the room at first but now I know what consistency works for me.......and it has to be with lard or shortening....butter or oil pie doughs I can't work with.......so you're absolutely right.....you have to get in there and go boldy forth and be not afraid

Just remember, when a recipe calls for a "clove" of garlic, that's one of the little pods inside the garlic bulb, not the whole bulb itself :)

Thanks for hearing me out on that one expatgirl, bread is another one people are terrified with! And it is so worth it once you complete your own bread recipe. So rewarding.

a bread machine is a handy gadget to mix up the yeast dough in but to experience it in your hands (yes, it makes a flurry of flour) but it's so aesthetic and appealing to the senses and to feel the gluten being formed as you pummel it and pound it (mad at someone? make some bread......and imagine their face in the dough........jest kidding) but it's a very unique feeling and then to smell the bread baking........my German gramma always kept bacon grease on top of the stove and that's what she rubbed her 6 loaves a weel with when we stayed with her........I just use butter.......it's worth throwing crud in the garbage if you are improving on your cooking skills......don't ever give up, like Chef Paul says

I learned to cook as I did not want to go hungry :)

By the time I was eight years old, I was typically left to my own devices (Siblings were never home, Mom was divorced and as a waitress, was out working 12 ~ 16 hours a day. Therefore, I am a self taught cook.

"The Joy of Cooking" cookbook, was my guide, and my taste buds, my judge. The cookbook I reference has tons of information about "how" to cook, as well as a number of tasty recipes.

I generally don't use recipes for other then ideas these days (except for baking), but they certainly got me started.

Bob

I think a very good way to learn is to pick one Cuisine or Chef that you like/admire and start with that.

It is sort of like learning a language. This girl who spoke 5 languages told me the trick was to only learn one at a time otherwise you will get confused.

I started with Chef Paul Prudhomme and got a real basic book that was promoted with tabasco sauce. but that taught me the vegetable medley as well as certain techniques for rice, soup, etc.

That I started watching Martin Yan and I got into that. And learned basic stir fry techniques, ingredients, spices, dishes etc.

Then I got into Mario Batali and Iron Chef Chen Kenichi and studied their stuff..

one is at such an advantage (both guys and ladies) if they can cook and or prepare at least 2-3 main dishes and sides as well.......the sides are easy........if you need pasta or seasoned rice you can use the packets...or rice is easy by itself cooked in a pot...if you know and will follow directions......salads are easy and everyone loves salads these days.....just invest in a good bottle of salad dressing....for me it's a good ranch or balsamic........veggies......for those starting out simplest is best just don't overcook......when they are almost fork tender (not fork tender) take them off the heat source and set them aside ......they will continue to cook.....adding a bit of sugar and butter doesn't hurt either....they can add their own salt to taste.......I love adding Mrs. Dash though........and now the main dishes for company......mine are beef stroganoff, seafood gumbo, chicken cacciatore, beef stew, knowing how to grill a few things is also a good skill to have or if you're on a tight budget invest in a hibachi............be prepared to make mistakes and learn to laugh at yourself and move on.......one mishap does not mark you as a bad cook for life.........

I agree with chefpaul, in that most people are scared to cook. There are some dishes that are easier to make than others, but there is nothing to be scared about. The worst that can happen is the dish does not turn out perfect and you learn from your mistake. Either way you are learning and that is the goal. Like one of the other posters said, whole foods does do some cooking classes every once and a while. There are also some high end kitchen equipment stores, that offer cooking classes.

Cookbooks are a great way to learn, as many have said. Food shows on tv are also a great way to learn like many have said.

When I first started cooking I followed recipes and learned a lot about ingredients. Knowing what ingredients are is very important. If you are cooking with an ingredient that you know nothing about, how can you expect to cook it right. The internet is a great way to find out information on any ingredient, this forum being one of the places online for great info.

Now that I am a much better cook, I just look at couple of different recipes for the same dish and make up my own variation of it. I also just make up stuff as I am cooking. If I think something might work well in the dish I put it in. Sometimes that extra ingredient makes the dish taste better, and sometimes it ruins the dish. Experimenting is one of the best ways to learn.

As for ingredients and where to buy them and what are some of the basic ingredients you should have on hand and almost all times, I will share what I think works. Meats can get pretty expensive, so pratice your basic cooking techinques on chicken or other inexpensive meat. Chicken can pretty much be bought at any grocery store and be good quality chicken. You will not always find free range and or organic chicken at all grocery stores, but you do not need to buy those more expensive chicken. As for more expensive meats, I tend to stay away from the cheapest grocery store. I am not saying all of those grocery stores have meat that does not taste very good, but I have found in most cases that is the case. No matter what store you buy meat from always inspect the meat and make sure it looks fresh.

Fish, I tend to buy almost anywhere. I always ask to smell the fish before I buy it to make sure it still smells fresh. If I am buying salmon, or some other basic fishes the quality seems to be good enough at most grocery stores. You can buy salmon and other basic fish at whole foods. The quality will almost always be better, but the price is way more expensive, and the quality is fine at the less expensive grocery stores. As for more expensive fish like sea bass, I shop at whole foods.

Vegetables and fruit are good quality at most stores. Always look to see if the fruit and vegetables you are going to buy are fresh. If you are curious about how to pick out fruits and vegetables that are fresh ask on this forum and we will be glad to help. I am sure the person in the produce department at the grocery store would aslo be glad to help you. As for organic fruits and vegetables, there is no need to buy them. They cost a lot more, and are not worth the money.

Now for the basic ingredients I think you should have on hand. Onions and garlic are something I use all the time. Yellow onions are what I buy most of the time. Red onions are also great, but since you are on a budget stick with just yellow onions for now. I use onions in scrambled eggs, pasta dishes, chinese dishes, and many other things I cook. Garlic is also one of those things I use in a lot of dishes. The only thing you have to wory about with garlic is burning it, because it will become bitter. Also try to never have huge chunks of garlic in a dish, because no one wants to eat huge chunks of garlic.

Pasta and rice are also great to have on hand. I would have spaghetti and penne pasta. Spaghetti is great with a simple tomato sauce, and penne is great in caseroles. Rice just stick with any medium or long grain rice will do.

Always have oil and butter on hand. You do not need ten different kinds of oils. Two kinds of oils will do. A neutral falvored oil with a high smoke point, canolia oil being the one I use, and extra virgin olive oil for making salad dressings or adding finishing touches to stuff. As with butter always buy unsalted butter. You always want to be able to control the ammount of salt that goes into a dish.

Canned tomatoes are also another thing I have at all times. Sure, it is much better quality if you use fresh tomatoes, but it is quicker and cheaper if you use canned. A can of diced tomatoes is great when making a quick easy tomato sauce.

As for spices and seasoning there are a lot out there so stick with the most common used ones. I am fortunate enough to have 30 to 40 different spices in my spice cabinet, but you do not need that many if you are just starting to learn to cook. Salt and pepper are of course something you always need. If you like spicy food I would buy a ground chili pepper. My favorite is ground cayenne pepper. If you are going to bake a lot ground cinnamon is a must, and adds so much to baked desserts. As for herbs, always go with fresh if you can find them and can afford them, but since you are on a budget buy some dried herbs. Dried rosemerry and thyme are the two I would have. Just remember dried herbs are a lot stronger, so don't use as much in a recipe if the recipe calls for fresh herbs.

Potatoes are also very cheap and great to have around. I mean simple mashed potatoes and so many other dishes can be made with potaotes, and few other ingredients.

If you want a more detailed list of what ingredients I have at all times I will tell you, but I realize you are on a budget so I just said the basic ones. I am fortunate enough to have lots of ingredients on hand at all times, but having this many ingrdients can get pricery sometimes. If you ever need any help with recipes that sound hard just ask and me or someone else here would be glad to help.

Where do you start? Cooking is so confusing.... :( I look at some recipes online and there's a whole bunch of ingredients I never heard of. Can I really find everything at Lucky or Safeway?

Imma be so screwed when I move out alone and don't know how to cook good food....SCREWED!!!!!! I can make eggs and instant noodles. (And I hear cooking gets the ladies :chef:)

Seriously...this whole thing is so unnatural...where do you begin to learn to start cooking?

When I got out of "home" I had a good job, some money and some clothes. I knew nothing of cooking and sewing and all those things that makes a girl a "woman". I eat out for quite sometime, if I do not get invited to some friend's house...but then, it get so boring and I was running out of money at times and have to make do with sandwiches. One time after dinner, I walked around the shopping centre and found a newsagent and saw a cooking book. My first book -- Encyclopedia of Cooking. Flipped through the pages, found some nice looking pictures of food and decided then and there that if I know how to read, I may be able to follow the instructions written on it. Wrong...

I know how to read all right...but the book that I bought assumed that I know some basics in the kitchen. NOT!! It did not tell me that a frozen chicken needed to be defrosted before you can do anything with it. I was used to having freshly killed chooks when I was living at home and we have maids doing our most basic and necessary chores...but that's a story for another day.

Anywhoooo....I was so excited about having to cook, so I invited a friend for dinner. I did the whole preparation according to the book. I liked the look of that baked chicken in the book. 'Followed the instructions to the letter, preheat the oven and timed my cooking. You can imagine the rest...two hours in the oven with a frozen chook, what do I expect? :ROFLMAO: And what do I know of "ovens"? As young children, we were shoooed out of the kitchen when the maids were doing their chores...It is funny now but not when when my visitor came and I served my chicken oozing with red fluid coming out of it as I tried to cut portions of it -- right in front of my visitor!!! --and being asked if I defrosted the chook first? :LOL: My reply? "Do I have to?"

I was 25 at the time...it seems decades ago now...Now I can look at my pantry, my freezer and my fridge and invent even something stylist for lunch or dinner in a jiffy. Most times I use a recipe but then I still have the habit of not following any of them to the letter...you'll learn...I did. As long as you wake up every morning to start a new day, you have time to learn something new each day. Age is only a number.

Cheers....
Tucker's Mum aka Cooper's Mom

That's too funny Cooper and Tucker's mom.........we had no maids but my mother could not cook unless you called the meat "charcoaled".......and her cheese sandwiches were made with mustard......most kids are not going to eat that.........as I've said before she was great in so many other things but cooking wasn't one of them........and we had two spices.....salt and pepper.........great to hear that you "evolutionized".......

cook with people you know can cook: friends relatives whatever. Start with learning a set of basics:
portion sizes, timings, methods of cooking, food pairings (what goes with what).
and some basic recipes from which you can build: a good pasta sauce, a good chili, a good stew for beef or chicken, and how to broil salmon, steam veggies etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom