Hush puppies question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Does anyone here make their own hush puppies?
I was wondering a couple things... I've got a recipe that says to drop them into the oil from the spoon, but the ones I have eaten in the past were uniform like meatballs. I was wondering if I can make the batter so that I can form them like a meatball? I would think that they would cook more uniformly if they were all the same size and placed into the oil, plus it would be less messy that trying to drop spoonfuls of the batter/dough into the oil. Which leads me to my next question; if I have a tray full of hush puppies, do I need to cook them all at the same time? Can I freeze some for later?

Do we have any hush puppies aficionados here? :chef:

Use a disher - or ice cream scoop. Just scoop & drop straight into the oil. You'll get nice evenly sized balls.

My ice cream scoop is a heavy spoon :(

I need to pick up some more peanut oil anyway. Maybe wally world will have a smallish ice cream scooper, or mellon baller. Good idea.

And great! I can freeze them for later.

Thanks for the info, ladies. :)

The beauty is, when they are frozen, you can fry them up easier. They hold their shape better. Take a little longer...

The beauty is, when they are frozen, you can fry them up easier. They hold their shape better. Take a little longer...

Interesting. You just put them in the oil frozen, huh? In that case I might as well make them ahead of time and freeze them all. Thanks.

I usually just drop them by the spoonful into the oil and it puffs into the balls.
You just have to make sure you have enough oil.

Thanks Nikki. I think I'm still going to pick up a scooper. I could have used one for something else a while ago, plus I think it would be quicker. Good to know the hush puppies are self-forming though. It tells me not to put so much thought into getting them perfectly round before they hit the oil.

Do the hush puppies balloon up?
If I only see a mellon baller and a large ice cream scoop, which should I buy?

If it were me doing this, I'd try using a spoon or two to drop portions into the oil. Then if that didn't work, I'd buy another tool. But I'm lazy and cheap.

Yeah, but the time to be wanting the right tool for the job (or at least an easier to use tool) isn't when your oil is at 360F ;^)
But it does borderline on gadget if I only use it once or twice a year.

Yeah, but the time to be wanting the right tool for the job (or at least an easier to use tool) isn't when your oil is at 360F ;^)
But it does borderline on gadget if I only use it once or twice a year.

I figure folks who have been making hush puppies for the past couple of hundred years didn't have special tools.

If it were me doing this, I'd try using a spoon or two to drop portions into the oil. Then if that didn't work, I'd buy another tool. But I'm lazy and cheap.

You may be cheap, but anyone who buys the whole dang turkey to cut it up for homemade stock ain't lazy, my friend. :yum:

You may be cheap, but anyone who buys the whole dang turkey to cut it up for homemade stock ain't lazy, my friend. :yum:

I really am both. Sometimes my cheapness is a stronger force than my laziness. Especially when I feel like someone is trying to take advantage of me.

I figure folks who have been making hush puppies for the past couple of hundred years didn't have special tools.

They very well could have started their fire by rubbing two sticks together, too ;)

That's pretty interesting how you can get them into the oil so many different ways and they still come out like balls.
No piping bag wither, AB. I'll keep that method in mind though.

If you have a piping bag with a large tip you could use that to pipe them into the hot oil.

Sort of a squeeze and flick.

I'm imagining hold the bag over the hot oil, dropping them in and the splash.:ohmy:

That's why I would freeze them first, less chance of burning yourself.

Back
Top Bottom