Pudding and stuffing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sam111

Cook
I am trying to make/fined a homemade recipe that doesn't use any fat to make pudding. I know the jell O pudding pre-mix boxes somehow do it with adding just skim milk. And on the jell O pudding packages I see they really are only using cornstarch + coloring + flavoring ...etc

I have tried 2 cups of skim milk , 1/2 cup of unrefined sugar , and about 3 tbsp of cornstarch.

What I did is heat the milk then gradually put in the cornstarch + sugar nothing happened to thicken so I put it in the refrigerator. Nothing so far and it has been in there for 30 minutes. The only thing I can think of is I heated the milk to high or stirred the cornstarch to much.

The second question is how from scratch using only natural products can you make stuffing with no or very low fat. I really want to know how to make great tasting homemade/from scratch stuffing that has zero fat and uses no unnatural/chemical product only organic or foods found in nature.

Is there any recipes you guys know of for this.
I mean I know bread , spice/herbs , 2 tbsp butter , veg , chicken or beef or turkey , cream / grave ...etc are the common recipe ingrediants if one was to do it homemade/from scratch is there any way to eliminate the butter ,cream...fat etc etc completely with out adding unnatural fat substitutes

for the stuffing, you can make a seriously low fat one like we do.

cubed stale bread, diced apples, diced onions, sliced cremini mushrooms, dried herbs, crumbled and browned 93/7 turkey sausage, and fat free turkey stock.

Last edited:
ok any reason why my pudding's won't come out.
I want make fat free organic/natural pudding I know once I get the technique that I am missing I will be able to make the different types like chocolate (cocoa), vanilla (vanilla bean or extract ) , raisberry ,...etc etc

And if I don't want to use cornstarch how much flour do I need in place?

cubed stale bread, diced apples, diced onions, sliced cremini mushrooms, dried herbs, crumbled and browned 93/7 turkey sausage, and fat free turkey stock.

And how do you make it with these ingredients just simmer all the ingredients in a pan until they come together or bake them in the oven until they come together... just curious about how much time ...

Are you following a recipe for the pudding? Maybe there isn't enough cornstarch. I would not use flour in place of corn starch.

Regarding the cornstarch pudding; it is your technique. I suggest you buy several cookbooks that explain chemisty in the kitchen. I don't have the patience to explain the procedures of cooking with cornstarch. Cookbooks can do it much better than I.

You dont add cornstarch directly to the liquid like that.

You need to make a slurry with the cornstarch and cold milk and whisk that into the hot milk.

And you likely need more cornstarch.

Stuffing usually is pretty low fat.

Doesnt usually use cream or gravy. Stale bread, herbs, fruit and/or vegetables, broth or stock and some butter or oil.

What I did is heat the milk then gradually put in the cornstarch + sugar nothing happened to thicken so I put it in the refrigerator. Nothing so far and it has been in there for 30 minutes. The only thing I can think of is I heated the milk to high or stirred the cornstarch to much.
You need to add the cornstarch to cold liquid and then heat it until it thickens. Usually this happens once it reaches the boiling point.

If you don't mind the little bit of fat found in egg yolks, custards are the pre-curser to modern puddings. They involve heating a flavored milk to the boiling point, but and then backing off the heat just a little. After separating the egg, beat the yolk until smooth. Ladle a half-cup of the hot milk into the yolk to "temper" it. Pour the yolk/milk mexture back into the pan with hot milk. Remove from heat. Stir until the mixture thickens to the desired consistency. If it's not thick enough, repeat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Ok I will try that , that was what my problem was probably.

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

On the packet of one of those jell O boxes it say's packet will not set if soy milk is used. (why is that , is there something with cornstarch and a certain type of milk it goes with.... and if so what type of milks can you uses /which shouldn't you uses?

As for the pre-mixed jell O pudding boxes you buy at the grocery store and add cold milk (that's it ). how do they get there pudding to be made so easilly I see no major ingredients other then cornstarch and sugar ( leaving off the chemical / non-natural ingredients ) .

Maybe it is non-natural ingredients the Pyrophosphate and mono/diglycerides added in addition that make the consistence. Then the question becomes why do you need the cornstarch in the first place and how safe are these non-organic / non-natural additive products for human consumption.

On the packet of one of those jell O boxes it say's packet will not set if soy milk is used. (why is that , is there something with cornstarch and a certain type of milk it goes with.... and if so what type of milks can you uses /which shouldn't you uses?

Milk is a mammal product. The fake stuff isn't real milk.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that all of that stuff is "non-natural.". Diglycerides are used as emulsifiers and can come from cows or soybeans.

On line it says that jello fat free instant pudding has sodium alginate in it which would help it set up. It's made from seaweed. It's also organic, as it contains carbon.

That said, you'd probably enjoy a nice custard rather than a mouthful of shiny over thickened gravy.

Well I am not talking about chemistry organic (because it has carbon atoms in it ) but organic from the FDA in harvesting or creating a product i.e it doesn't go thru any unnatural processing that a human him self couldn't do without the machinery /chemicals the food industries usually uses.

We have been taught by advertisers and bad press to be fearful of chemicals. As an example, and one that we've brought up here on DC recently, there was a hoax where a group of college students set up a website warning everyone about a substance called Dihydrogen Oxide. It listed a host of dangers such as: Inhalation of dihydrogen oxide can be fatal, and a host of similar claims. It was listed as a major componant of most foods, and that is was so widely used, it has been found in some quantity in every conceivable place in the world. The funny thing is that dihydrogen oxide is a another chemical name for water. Every natural element, and compound has a chemical name. Indeed, chemicals are what the universe is made up of.

To many, organic means that no tampering was done with a naturally growing life form, be it animal or vegetable. No pesticides or man-made fertilizers are to be used in "organic" foods. In the world of science, organic means - carbon based. We are organic life as we are a carbon based life form. In fact, every life form on our planet that I can think of is organic.

So, there are indeed dangerous chemicals. But there are a myriad of chemicals that are essential to our well being, that we can't live without. I know that Wikipedia isn't the best source of info. But this particular entry appears to be well researched, with documented sources - Phytochemical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

It gives the scientific names of various phytochemicals, and how they may help our heath.

Don't be afraid of chemicals. Literally, you can't get away from them. Do understand what chemicals you are using, and that there are indeed unscrupulous people that will misuse chemicals to make short-term profit.

The key is to study as much as you can, about as much of the world as you can. Knowledge is good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

aspirin seems to run that fine line between good and bad.

it's benefits were initially discovered as a derivative or extract (not sure, too lazy to google, but point made) from a natural source, willow bark.
but now it's made from chemical proceses based on petroleum products.

I completely agree that man-made just isn't as good as made by nature, or a higher power, whichever you believe. Our ability to reason, to explore, and to figure things out is our strength, and our weakness.

ok what about if one wants to make pudding , stuffing , or gravy
without cornstarch. I.E just flour how much flour to the cornstarch 3 tsp is equivalent ...

Or more generally what is the approximate formula for flour = how much cornstarch equivalent.

And is there way to make pudding , stuffing , gravy without flour or cornstarch?

ok what about if one wants to make pudding , stuffing , or gravy
without cornstarch. I.E just flour how much flour to the cornstarch 3 tsp is equivalent ...

Or more generally what is the approximate formula for flour = how much cornstarch equivalent.

And is there way to make pudding , stuffing , gravy without flour or cornstarch?

Gravy, or more correctly, sauces can be made by boiling stock to concentrate it. Usually, carrots, celery, onions, and other aromatics are usually added to both flavor and thicken the sauce. If concentrated far enough, the sauce will thicken. A roux is usually made from equal parts flour and fat (vegetable oil, melted meat fat, etc.), and then added to the sauce. It thickens the sauce wonderfully, producing a rich, smooth sauce with great flavor.

I would imagine that you could thicken a flavored dairy sauce, such as milk, vanilla, and sugar with a roux. Egg yolks are used to make custards, lemon curds, pastry creams, and panacota.

This should give you some ideas. Do a quick google search and you will find more recipes than you know what to do with.

I love this place.... Sauces! Someone used the word sauce!!! I live in a town that looks at me like a nut if call it a sauce. :0)

Back
Top Bottom