Timing your cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I go by my internal clock (im surpirsed no one said that yet)

call a cook instint or what ever. but lets say if im roasting a bird ill get that going. do my prep for the other stuff then get it all together at the end some how and usualyl by the time the wife or my mom come home I can give them a time of how long till dinner.

side note: If im cooking dinner and there is prep that can be done early. such as blanching and shocking, peeling potatos etc.... its done early so its al ready to go. it helps with teh timing

I tend to think timing is a function of what you are cooking and who you are cooking for. If I am cooking for company, Then I try to adhere to a schedule and have everything done and on the table at the same time. I really hate to sit down to a meal and have it be cool to cold.

Most days there are just two humans to feed in the house. DW and I both get home ar erratic times. Dinner starts getting cooked when we are both together and eaten when it is done.

Actually "The boys" out two labs eat on a very efficient schedule. They have remarkable internal clocks and start lobbying for food at exactly the same time morning and night. Providing someone is there at that time.

Also what is being cooked and experience of the cook is a major factor. If you are cooking something familiarthen you generally "feel" the timing. New dishes tend to go by the recipie, at least in the beginning.

In the final analysis, it is done when it is done. A steak may not always take as long as the last one did, etc.

I have a little Polder (brand) timer that I keep around my neck. It's not going to tell when you something is actually done, but it helps to remind me when and literally just to check things.

the timing becomes internalized..."that should be done now...touch touch...yup!" much the same with measurements, I know where in my palm a 1/2 tsp and a whole tsp come to.

I use the timer for roasting but also use the thermometer , I time the bread but with pasta I time it and taste test for al dente .

Last night, when making spaghetti, I actually set the timer on the microwave for thirty minutes and started a countdown, just to see how long it actually takes the water in my pasta pot to boil. I probably did that because this thread got resurrected and I was curious. I got a good boil at 25 minutes. So now I know :LOL:
I knew about what time I'd be eating anyway, but now if I ever need a big pot of boiling water for something, I'll know when to start it ;)

Back
Top Bottom