Mustard Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I have a large amount of lovely fresh mustard greens. I am braising/steaming some with some chopped smoked ham, garlic and chicken broth. Do you have any ideas for the rest?

:ohmy: Mustard Greens!!!!!!!! You got my attention!

Cook all of them!!! They freeze nicely in qt. boxes.

Add a few turnip roots until they are just tender....

Don't be to stingy with the liquid. Ya gotta have suppin to dip the cornbread in:LOL:

I agree. also any leftovers can be sauteed. Any pot liquor left over is broth for a risotto or soup or stew.

I always add some onions to my greens.

Now Uncle Bob may say I am a carpetbagger and no self respecting Southerner would ever let an onion within twelve feet of their greens.

I plead guilty to the carpetbagger charge - we are surely that.

And we are new to Southern cooking.

But I do think onions add a bit of flavor to greens.

Oh yes, and apologies to Uncle Bob - he is far too polite to call us carpetbaggers.

Sorry Bob.

Aunt Dot.........

I had a great aunt that put a little onion in just about every thing...butter beans, peas (all kinds) green beens, dry beans (black-eye, pinto, etc.) and........greens!:ermm: Today, when in the kitchen if there is little (left-over) onion setting around doing nothing, then guess what? Into a pot of something it goes. Doesn't hurt a thing! So if ya wanna put some onion in your greens, then by all means......;)

The only requirement is to eat them out of a bowl with plenty of likker so it will run of your chin a bit. Then when ya finish, and no one is looking:ermm: ya pick the bowl up, and drink the pot-likker!! :whistling

:LOL:

JGDean said:
Pot-likker is the best part. I also fix cheese and jalapeno cornbread (not the sweet kind).

Pah-lease don't tell me you put some of that corn bread in the pot likker!:LOL:

I prefer my cornbread sans sugar as well.

Oh would that be Florida broadleaf mustard????

Yipeeeeeeee!!!! & Enjoy!!!!

Sometimes I rip 'em out of the garden, shake off the dirt, coat 'em in EVOO and....toss 'em on the grill. I know it sounds odd but this yr I am into grilling everything.

I like to chop, then sautee in olive oil and garlic seasoning. As someone else already said, harvest when very small and they're great in a salad. Also good chiffonaded into soup.

I've never had mustard greens fresh. Frozen, I often add them to a "whatchagot" stirfry or a stew that needs something zippy.

Back
Top Bottom