Trying to find recipes/name for sour thai pepper sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aesthete

Assistant Cook
when i was in bankok, many of the sidewalk stands and restaraunts had a sour sauce with chopped thai peppers floating in it, that I really liked. they almost always were in a glass jar with a metal lid, and a spoon to spoon it on your dish. I believe it was particularly used for Laub (a chopped pork dish from Isaan)

any help getting me to a recipe for this sauce would be appreciated

you know, fish sauce and lime might be what produced that sour flavor. i'm going to pick some fish sauce up at the farmer's market and try to make this. Thanks!

i've made a Nam Prik Nam Pla, and that is def. it! it was easy to make, and has added a lot of flavor to dishes in the past week or so. it was really propular at my fish fry last weekend.

Thanks Erica.

The Thais always look for a correct balance of these flavors in their food: sweet, sour, salty, spicy. This nam prik nam pla sauce, along with sugar, chilies, fish sauce, are typical table top condiments to season their food to their individual liking.

Nam = water/juice
Prik = chilies
Pla = fish

Nam prik = chili sauce
Nam pla = fish sauce

I personally (not being Thai) prefer to leave out the sugar from most savory food while Thais typically add sugar into most everything, even in their Chinese-influenced noodle soups!

Anyway, always good to see Asian food/tastes being appreciated in the west!

Back
Top Bottom