Best all around antiseptic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
My vet told me this: not to use hydrogen peroxide if there is a possibility stitches may be required--hydrogen peroxide destroys the edges.

Yes, that's what I'd read, why HP isn't a good idea for wounds. Thanks, CWS.

A hot branding iron works wonders on bullet wounds...
Source: The Outlaw Josey Wales
Good to know, Hoot, but I rarely have a hot branding iron handy (not that I suffer bullet wounds either). Hopefully, one doesn't keep a gun nearby while cooking...it is only lunch or supper, not worth a duel.:LOL:However, cayenne pepper (no, it doesn't sting--I tried it) packed in a cut paw pad does stop the bleeding. Another thing a vet told me. Before I'd try it on one of my dogs, I had to try it on myself. Being somewhat clumsy, it didn't take long before I cut my thumb...it didn't sting, and it did stop the bleeding. That too is the dog first aid cupboard (which is also the human first aid cupboard).

Last edited:
Funny thing, I cut myself again! :) Perhaps not having a good day...

Next arm (there's two, right?) and this time I used 91% IPA. It stung a bit more. We guys will look you right in the eye and tell you, no problem! ;)

Still not sure which is best. Actually, unless there's some kind of infection going on I prefer to dry bandage my small cuts. I'm convinced they heal quicker without salve.

I guess I have a test case for healing here. Right arm HP, left arm EPA. Right arm was first, and a bit worse. Left arm is less woundful, I guess I must be learning something... ;)

Good to know, Hoot, but I rarely have a hot branding iron handy (not that I suffer bullet wounds either). Hopefully, one doesn't keep a gun nearby while cooking...it is only lunch or supper, not worth a duel.:LOL:
Lotta hungry folks out there...you know what they say...
Better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it!

Hoot said:
A hot branding iron works wonders on bullet wounds...
Source: The Outlaw Josey Wales

Closest thing I have is a hot curling iron. Will that work? Not that I anticipate having a bullet hole in the near future, but you never know.

Heh! :LOL: I've got 99.9 test IPA and 91 test with a USP on it, so I used the latter later. ;)

I started the topic because the injury and the treatment got me to thinking. But I didn't know that I'd have two bites at the apple! So now I've got a scientific test here. I predict that neither of my arms will fall off...

Steve Kroll said:
I honestly think there's something wrong with me. I read this and thought to myself, "why would he pour India Pale Ale on a cut? It doesn't have that much alcohol." :LOL:

:LOL: I thought the same thing! And what a waste of good beer!

Last edited:
Our antiseptic / wound treatment armamentarium includes-
70% Ethyl Alcohol
Hydrogen Peroxide
Aloe Vera
Campho Phenique
Neosporin
Tea Tree Oil
Sterilized Tea Bag
Unguentine.
Cutting out a deeply embedded tick can require the use of several of the above.

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

I tend to lean toward natural remedies verses pharmacy treatments ...

It all depends on the wound for starters ... I am truly quite careful and rarely have a wound...
A paper cut possibly once in a blue moon ... However, I am not accident prone ...

And the hubby is a Vet, so he can advise or treat a wound ... ha ha ha ...

Similiar, to all of you, if persistant, a German Generic of the typical Neosporin.

Otherwise, I permit Nature to do its own healing work.

Aloe vera, tea tree from the Herbalarío, which is a Natural Health Remedy & Food Store in English; and vitamin E ... Peroxide always good for cleansing ...

Good Idea for a Post.
Have lovely August.
Margi.

Last edited:
The answer I'm seeking is the initial antiseptic to be used when first treating the wound, just before bandaging it.

I think minor wounds will heal more quickly if salves like Neosporin are not used, but rather just leave the wound dry and covered. I believe this because it appears to me that salves hinder scab formation, and I believe that the scab is nature's bandage to seal in the healing wound and to seal out bacteria and other pathogens. I continue using dry bandages until the scab is well formed, then just expose it to air. If the scab falls off before the wound is healed I just cover it with another bandage.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert. Anybody please correct me if I'm wrong, or you're welcome to criticize my technique.

BTW Neosporin is that stuff that is generically available as triple antibiotic salve, right?

Oh also BTW, neither arm has fallen off... yet. ;)

Last edited:
If you can believe the claims, cuts covered with a band-aid heal faster than cuts left uncovered. Similar claim for Neosporin - cuts heal faster when this is used.

I believe the band-aid claim as I have observed the difference myself in a decidedly non-scientific, uncontrolled study. I don't use antiseptics so can't speak to that claim.

Back
Top Bottom