Cautionary tale-false produce claims from farmers markets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSC

Head Chef
This particular expose took place in the Los Angeles area, but with the ever-increasing popularity of farmers markets around the country, it will apply to your area. So, the obvious collateral question to be posed is: tell us in 25 words or less why honesty is on the rise!
http://tinyurl.com/2akgebl

Interesting article MSC, and it confirms some of my suspicions about farmers markets. However your question doesn't make sense to me...

So the obvious collateral question to be posed is: tell us in 25 words or less why honesty is on the rise!"
Huh??:huh:

We went to the local farmers market not too long ago and I have to say I get suspicious when I find PLU stickers on the produce that are the same as the ones at the grocery store.

I see it where I am all the time. For example, there is one place called <area name> Produce (I dont want to name them in public) so you would think the produce they sell is local. Their stand is at the local "farmer's and flea market. But if you look at the boxes the produce came in their produce is from all over, and it is no cheaper than what you get at the store. In face they display a lot of it in those small baskets and you buy what's in the basket for one price.

I try to go to local farm stands or the local Amish market.

PLU = Price Look Up Code. It is that sticker on produce that has a number on it that the cashire punches into the computer to ring up your produce.

Think UPC for fruit and veg.

PLU = Price Look Up Code. It is that sticker on produce that has a number on it that the cashire punches into the computer to ring up your produce.

Think UPC for fruit and veg.

Ah - I don't live in the US hence never having heard of it, so thanks for the information. I assume it's something like a bar code which the cashier would pass under an electronic eye so that the computerised till would be able to know what the product is.

Similiar, the PUC has 3 or 4 digits on it and they are typed into the register. The are very small stickers, about the size of a US dime or penny

I find the dishonesty disheartening. I know it happens. I love farmer's markets and have been getting into being more green and buying locally. (Frank thinks I need a group.) I don't go to the farmer's market to necessarily buy things cheaper, but I do go to buy local and to buy from a farmer that is honest in how the items were grown. I enjoy supporting the small farmer and enjoying fresh produce.

There is a small market here that is open daily. It grows most of the vegetables sold there on their family farm, but they also sell meats and dairy items from other local farms. I'd honestly rather go there than a farmer's market if I cannot feel that the market is honest in what is sold. :(

~Kathleen

I don't go to the farmer's market to necessarily buy things cheaper, but I do go to buy local and to buy from a farmer that is honest in how the items were grown. I enjoy supporting the small farmer and enjoying fresh produce.

There is a small market here that is open daily. It grows most of the vegetables sold there on their family farm, but they also sell meats and dairy items from other local farms.

Same here. It might not be cheaper but it supports the local economy and hopefully it is stopping some of the local farms from becoming housing developments.

SIGH....I wish we had a local market that sold local meat and dairy.

Now the farmers market is closed for the winter...it is highly regulated here. With the exception of pork from Hall, MT, the seller has to live AND farm within 50 miles of Missoula. Our local Whole Foods type store sells "local" from a wider radius and from everywhere else. All local foods have a "Made In Montana" sticker, easy to spot!

Back
Top Bottom