Computer Help - Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
The last few days my computer has slowed waaaay down, i.e. pages loading very slowly, etc.

I ran spy bot and ad-aware, & tried de frag, but still no luck. I'm on dial-up, but never had this problem. Also, when I click on submit new thread, it crawls. Any suggestions? TIA :)

I recommend you run CCleaner. The double 'c' is intentional. I also recommend that you clear ALL temp files PLUS defragment your hardrive. BUT you must load and run CCleaner 1st. :ermm:

I also strongly recomend you run MSCONFIG. If you goto START and then click on RUN..... type in MSCONFIG. Click on the STARTUP tab. There might be things you DONT want loaded upon startup. BUT be careful!!! If you pick the WRONG things, your computer will not act properly!!!! :ermm:

Thanks for the reminder, GB. I haven't done that for a long time. Not sure I remember how.

We're on that new DH something...pardon my ignorance. My husband takes care of that stuff. I really like it...It's so fast, and we don't have to have that extra phone line.

Hi. Thank you all. DS, is C Cleaner already on my hard drive. Or do I download it somewhere? Sorry, computer braindead here.

I deleted temp, cookies, & off-line files in the past & couldn't get back into my important stuff. Don't want to delete it again. Arggggh.

Mish I know it stinks when that happens, but it is a needed thing every once in a while to ensure your computer runs well. Think of it like brushing your teeth. Sometimes you just gotta clean that gunk out :LOL:

Good housekeeping keeps things running smoothly - even with computors! Clean out all your temp files, cookies, cache, temp internet files etc at least once a month. CCleaner is an excellent program, well recommended, and fast to run. Don't forget to clean out your email boxes too, and from time to time double-check your bookmarks and delete the ones you've finished with.

I presume you've got an antivirus program. Pays to have that running on automatic so you don't have to bother with it, and also allow it to download upgrades automatically.

If you're computer is still running very slowly after the tidy-up, and you have no viruses, worms or Trojans etc - then start backing up PRONTO - because it could mean either that your HDD is chockas-blockas full - or else it's a sign of an imminent crash. It happens, as I know to my sorrow!

I have noticed pages loading slowly too since the last upgrade, the one when the people online shows up to the left in threads. It is only the DC website, but I didn't want to complain! :angel: I will live!

Back
Top Bottom