When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After they boil, I drain the water and replace the pot to the flame. This effectively dries out all the remaining moisture. Then I add the softened butter and sour cream. I use a hand masher. Once all the butter is incorporated I slowly add warmed half and half or light cream. S&P to taste.

Usually hand mash, but sometimes in the mixer, trying not to make it like wallpaper glue. if you mean an immersion blender by "hand blender", I cannot imagine that would work unless you had one of the much larger ones (than I have).

skilletlicker said:
I apologize to the forum, not for the brief reply, but for not also including a link to the thread you have graciously provided.

Are you apologising for my brief reply? If so, there is really no need. :)

I've used every thing talked about. Currently I prefer the rustic quality of a masher and then hand whipping or blending with a rubber scraper. (I also add turpis and rutabagas to the mash...great taste and texture)

RIcers and food mills are good for many gently pureed foods, and sauces...tomato, apple, etc.

Hand mashing is ok, but you'll still get lumps.

The mixer also works well, but you'll STILL get lumps. And if you're not careful, you could overmix them and end up with potatoes that look like a sticky gooey mess like glue!!

Therefore, I think that the best way is to put the potatoes through a ricer first. They come out perfect every time!! There's no mashing, no fuss, no muss!!! You just STIR in the butter, milk, seasonings and whatever else have you.

You can use a ricer to make spaetzle, also.

I use a masher because I rather like them sorta lumpy. I also do use a fork to make sure all the cream gets incorporated. I love mashed potatoes. My very favorite comfort food. :)

Or a colander.

Yeah, lumpy potoatoes are good at times, especially if you plan to keep the skin on them, such as red potatoes.

I'm old enough to remember a time when a mom who prepared lumpy mashed potatoes was considered a failure. The expectation was smooth, creamy, lump-free mashed potratoes - no excuses. Lumps were a mistake.

I realize current convention is that lumpy mashed potatoes are considered 'rustic', but I don't care for them.

I use a ricer as that is the best way to ensure 'completely mashed' mashed potatoes.

Since this thread and this thread discuss the exact same thing, I am going to merge the two and make them just one thread.

Ishbel said:
Are you apologising for my brief reply? If so, there is really no need. :)
Of course not Ishbel. When I first replied, I remembered the earlier thread but was just to lazy to look up the link.

All I can say it that it's pretty hard to screw up mashed potatoes, no matter which method you use. Kinda like muffins, though - don't work them too hard or you'll be sorry.

Mud, that's what I thought too, but then saw a FN Food Challenge and one of the chefs did something wrong with the mashed potatoes and ended up putting the dish in the oven to try to dry out. :ohmy:

Are you kidding me, mashed potato making is almost an art. I would never eat it if it's not done to my taste (well that goes to pretty much everything) I'll just seat in the restaraunt or home and eat bread.

I use a small hand mixer. Leave a little potato water in the pan you boiled the potatoes. Mix. Add butter and some warm milk if you need more liquid.

I like to use a masher and leave some chunks. My favorite is a Blue cheese mashed with skin on redskin pots, bacon, garlic, leeks, sour cream, heavy cream, butter and blue cheese. I usually make this with steak, Whith the leftovers the next day I wll make a sandwich with the sliced steak and mashed between a couple slices of good french bread...mmmmmmmm

JDP

Cholestorol is not a problem for me yet, just had it checked

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom