What type pan do you use the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texmex

Senior Cook
What type pan do you find that you use the most?

I use a dutch oven for so many things. I have one heavy 5 quart stainless one I use the most and then I have one lightweight nonstick one I use occasionally for like green beans or sometimes a quick saute and noodles dish.

I used to use a deep straight sided fryer skillet for more but I have just found it's easier to stir things if you go ahead and put it in the Dutch oven and don't worry about splattering as much.

5 quart stainless steel heavy bottom kettle.
Stainless straight sided heavy bottom frying pan, but mostly for stir fries (I steam) and cooking asparagus.
Stainless 6 qt kettle.
2 aluminum large bread pans
4 aluminum 1/2 sheet pans

The pan that I use the most is a battered old rectangular tray that originally came with a toaster oven that is long gone.

It’s perfect for a piece of fish, roasting a few vegetables, heating a French bread pizza, etc…

I’ve been gradually scaling down over the last few years and am about ready to cut back again.

Currently I have three Revere pots with lids and inserts, two cast iron frying pans, a muffin tin, rectangular brownie pan, three sheet pans, a round Wearever aluminum pan, and assorted racks.

I should be able to reduce that by half and still be able to put a decent meal together.

I have so many pans there is no way I could pick a "favorite". I have all different sizes of all different types, the saucepans I think I have 8 or 9 different ones, but not because I use them the most. The ones I probably use the most of are those strait sided skillets - a.k.a. sauté pans. I have 2, 3, and 5 qt sauté pans, and I use those, as well as Dutch ovens (5 qt one I use the most), for a lot of 1 dish meals. I also have some sauciers - sort of a cross between a saucepan and sauté pan - good when I want to sauté a small amount of something, in less fat, instead of the broad sauté pan or Dutch oven, but a lot more is added to it. And there are the woks, which are favorites of mine - 5 different ones, so I obviously like those. I don't use those regular skillets that often, except for the Nonstick, for omelettes, and other things I need the NS for. And one "French skillet" I have, with slightly steeper sides, that I use almost exclusively for dry toasting spices, seeds, and nuts, because they are much easier to toss in that pan.

The pan that I use the most is a battered old rectangular tray that originally came with a toaster oven that is long gone.

It’s perfect for a piece of fish, roasting a few vegetables, heating a French bread pizza, etc…

I’ve been gradually scaling down over the last few years and am about ready to cut back again.

Currently I have three Revere pots with lids and inserts, two cast iron frying pans, a muffin tin, rectangular brownie pan, three sheet pans, a round Wearever aluminum pan, and assorted racks.

I should be able to reduce that by half and still be able to put a decent meal together.
I have one of those little trays but it is pretty beat up. It's just right for one piece of something.

My favorite stainless Dutch oven has a thick bottom on it but it's best feature is the lid. It has one of those lids with a deep rib and the rim fits out inside the pot but also has holes for steaming if you want to turn it around to line up with the pour spouts on the pan. So if you put a piece of foil under it, it makes a very tight seal for slow cooking. They're no longer available but I think they were just Wearever. I have two deep chicken fryer type skillets in the same set which one is nonstick and just about worn out, and the other is stainless, and then I have a saucepan that I don't use that much. But they all have those good pore spouts and great lids. To me lids that just sit on top of something and don't really seal are kind of worthless.

I recently steamed eggs in the stainless deep skillet.

I use my Le Creuset a lot but most days I'm using some kind of saute pan for one thing or another. I have 3 sizes of carbon steel, the small one for eggs and omelets. I have a copper straight sided saute pan with lid, that I use for sauces a lot. My go to are my 2 all clad fry pans. I have a cast iron but haven't used it in probably a decade.

I use a large 8 quart Hexclad Stock pot for a lot of things Soups, sauces even stir fry.
I have another 10" ceramic pan (Our Place) that is non stick and had high sides that I also use quite a bit.

I have one of those huge paella non-stick pans, and for someone who doesn't make paella I use it often enough. I will make smothered steak in it or browning a lot of chicken and it's especially good for skirt steak if I need to make more than one of them. If I'm just making one I just do it in the iron skillet.
I use a small T-Fal non-stick for eggs and also have a tefal non-stick 10 inch saute pan I use a lot.

And I have an ancient Teflon double sided hinged omelette pan I got out of a shed 50 years ago that I still use even though it's totally worn out. So if Teflon kills you, I guess my number will be up soon. 😬

The two pans I use most often are a 9.5" ScanPan non-stick skillet and a Copco enamelled cast iron braiser. The base on the braiser is the same size as on my 5.5 litre Dutch oven. The top is also the same size, but it's only about 5" tall. It works great as a skillet when you want to fry a lot of food at once without having it fly out of the pan.

Probably my wok.
Plus a small pot with handle that is just big enough to make the right amount of rice or pasta for me, so it gets used almost every day.
Dedicated pot for dog food.
Whistling kettle gets used every day as well.
Stainless steel skillet for roasting peanuts, cast iron for steak, non stick for eggs.
Okay, maybe I don't have a firm favourite :)

Can't say I have a favourite pan. It really depends on what I'm making. I have a few Cast Iron pans which I love. Also have Stainless pots, aluminum pans, etc.

The question is "What pan do you use most?"

The pans I use most are my All-Clad nonstick skillets. They aren't necessarily my favorite pans, just the ones I use the most for day-to-day cooking.

My favorites would be my Le Creuset cast iron dutch ovens.

CD

Use the most... well, in that case it would have to be a small 6 x 6" Musa pan. I use it for poached eggs most days. Or my Cuisinart griddler if I'm having bacon (+ mushrooms & onions) with the egg.
Musa Pan 24.04.02.jpg

I can go several days without using pot or pan other than the toaster oven, micro-wave and the coffee machine. And I think the later three would be considered appliances, not pans.

On days I do a lot of cooking, there will be every kind of pot and pan in the sink by the end. So no, don't have a "favourite, used the most" pan.

Scan-Pan 10-inch skillet followed closely by an all-clad 3-quart pan that has a steamer insert. The steamer insert has a nice long handle and I use it to drain pasta, boiled potatoes, and of course, for steaming.

Does everyone here have an "egg pan?" That pan you use to cook up a few eggs? I have my small non-stick skillet that is my "egg pan." I use it for other things, but its main task is to cook my scrambled eggs or an omelet.

CD

Does everyone here have an "egg pan?" That pan you use to cook up a few eggs? I have my small non-stick skillet that is my "egg pan." I use it for other things, but its main task is to cook my scrambled eggs or an omelet.

CD
I have an old 6” cast iron pan that I use for fried eggs and grilled sandwiches.

I’ve experimented with poached and scrambled eggs in the microwave but I haven’t been able to get it quite right for me.

Back
Top Bottom