Is anyone else noticing lower food prices at the grocery store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Because I'm sure not. If anything, they continue to climb. For example, I do most of my shopping at Kroger (it's the most convenient store, plus they're always sending me coupons for the things I buy regularly and I use coupons more than ever now, both digital and paper) and the Private Selection bread that I normally buy has gone up. So before inflation, it was $1.88 a loaf. After/during inflation, it went up to $2.99 per loaf and stayed that way for a good while. The other day I went to grab more - $3.79 per loaf. I mean, really??? Come on, Kroger, help us out here. $2.99 for a loaf of bread was doable, especially considering even the el cheapo brands are pretty close to that price now. But nearly $4.00 for ONE loaf of bread? :mad:

Now, I do occasionally wander into Aldi for meat sales and to grab a few things. But Kroger has many things I need that Aldi doesn't carry. And I don't have a Walmart Supercenter near me. There's one on my work end of town that I'll occasionally stop at, but not for a full grocery trip. I do, however, like Meijer and will go there on occasion, but haven't been there for a couple of months.

Are there any grocery stores that are actually lowering prices like I keep hearing them announce on the news? "Grocery stores are lowering prices!" they say. Well, I haven't personally seen it yet. I think at this point these grocery stores are raising prices (or keeping them high) simply because they can. I mean, come on... $10 for a 12-pack of soda? $6 for a bag of potato chips? More often than not, I'll only pick up the cheapest versions of most grocery items. I rarely buy name-brand stuff anymore; I pick up whatever item has the cheapest price. But there are some things I'll very reluctantly pay the extra money for and my "lightly salted" Lay's potato chips is one of them.

Is anything coming down anywhere???

Yes, there has been some moderation of prices, particularly with groceries.

BTW, the Kroger store brand of lightly salted chips is very good. I can't tell difference.

I also buy store brand sodas, but I don't drink sodas very often, and the store brand Dr. Pepper, although different, is fine with me, compared to spending more on the real Dr. Pepper.

As for where prices are coming down, a lot depends on competition. In my town, there is a lot of completion, from Kroger, HEB, Tom Thumb (Albertson's), Market Street, Sprouts, ALDI and Walmart. They all have locations within ten miles of me.

In places with more limited competition,"Greedflation" is still a big problem.

CD

I've been buying pretty much sale stuff. If chips aren't BOGO or 2 for a good price, they don't get bought. Same thing with soda. Proteins are only purchased when on sale. The steak we had last night was nearly half off. We have Winn Dixie right now, who knows what will happen since Aldi bought not too long ago though, and they are good about putting chicken parts on BOGO, as well as various kinds of sausage. Bacon goes on BOGO fairly often at both of our big chains so that gets stocked up on then. I try to plan meals around produce that is on sale. I watch for sales on things like paper towels, plastic bags, parchment, foil, etc, and buy if we are anywhere close to running out. I've been buying organic milk, which is initially more expensive, but it lasts a month or more and doesn't go bad and get thrown away like regular milk.

We get the Tovala meals, which are more expensive than cooking from scratch, but since there are only 2 of us now and I'm basically the only 1 that cooks anymore and I don't feel like cooking fairly often, it's cheaper than getting food out and much better for us since it's more like home cooked food.

Anyway, no, I don't think prices have gone down at all because even with the above, we seem to be spending more and more on food on average. Even when we don't buy meat and have a "light" grocery list, the bill seems to always be north of $125.

Yes, there has been some moderation of prices, particularly with groceries.

BTW, the Kroger store brand of lightly salted chips is very good. I can't tell difference.

I also buy store brand sodas, but I don't drink sodas very often, and the store brand Dr. Pepper, although different, is fine with me, compared to spending more on the real Dr. Pepper.

As for where prices are coming down, a lot depends on competition. In my town, there is a lot of completion, from Kroger, HEB, Tom Thumb (Albertson's), Market Street, Sprouts, ALDI and Walmart. They all have locations within ten miles of me.

In places with more limited competition,"Greedflation" is still a big problem.

CD
I've tried the Kroger brand chips and, you're right, they're pretty good. But they don't make a "lightly salted" version (at least not that I have seen) and the regular chips are way too salty for me, now that I'm used to eating the lower-sodium version.

I too buy store brand soda. No way am I paying $10 for 12 cans of pop.

I'm still seeing high prices on things like butter and other dairy, although cheese isn't too bad, if you buy the store brand. Canned goods are still high. $2 for a tiny little can of mushrooms. And don't even get me started on the cost of canned soups.

I've been buying pretty much sale stuff. If chips aren't BOGO or 2 for a good price, they don't get bought. Same thing with soda. Proteins are only purchased when on sale. The steak we had last night was nearly half off. We have Winn Dixie right now, who knows what will happen since Aldi bought not too long ago though, and they are good about putting chicken parts on BOGO, as well as various kinds of sausage. Bacon goes on BOGO fairly often at both of our big chains so that gets stocked up on then. I try to plan meals around produce that is on sale. I watch for sales on things like paper towels, plastic bags, parchment, foil, etc, and buy if we are anywhere close to running out. I've been buying organic milk, which is initially more expensive, but it lasts a month or more and doesn't go bad and get thrown away like regular milk.

We get the Tovala meals, which are more expensive than cooking from scratch, but since there are only 2 of us now and I'm basically the only 1 that cooks anymore and I don't feel like cooking fairly often, it's cheaper than getting food out and much better for us since it's more like home cooked food.

Anyway, no, I don't think prices have gone down at all because even with the above, we seem to be spending more and more on food on average. Even when we don't buy meat and have a "light" grocery list, the bill seems to always be north of $125.
Yes, exactly. I can't go to the store without spending at least $100 and, sadly, I don't have much to show for it.

As far as eating out, we do that way less as well. Even fast food prices are ridiculous.

The one thing that shocked me was actually aluminum foil. I like stocking up when I can, and when I went to Walmart I found a roll of foil was like 10 dollars. 10 bucks for 100 feet of foil? Is this just a supply and demand issue? Like everyone uses it? That is honestly the weirdest price hike I've seen yet.

It’s a mixed bag here.

I’m spending significantly more than I did a couple years ago.

I shop the specials, managers markdowns, etc… and am able to find some good values as long as I remain flexible.

I’m still shocked on the prices of many name brand products and refuse to buy them unless they are featured as a loss leader.

I’ve noticed that Hellmann’s, Freihofer’s, Tide, Stouffer’s, and others have been working with local grocery chains to feature special offers on many of their products in an effort to stimulate sales.

The prices of in store bakery, deli items, and grab ‘n’ go prepared foods are another area where prices have gone up significantly.

The older I get the less I worry, YOLO. 😉

IMO the current round of inflation is a great example of why increasing the minimum wage does nothing to lift people out of poverty and actually hurts more people than it helps.

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.” - Ronald Reagan

The one thing that shocked me was actually aluminum foil. I like stocking up when I can, and when I went to Walmart I found a roll of foil was like 10 dollars. 10 bucks for 100 feet of foil? Is this just a supply and demand issue? Like everyone uses it? That is honestly the weirdest price hike I've seen yet.
I noticed that too! Aluminum foil, as well as plastic wrap and wax paper, etc. I was like whaaaaaaat the heck is going on???

There was something else of that similar nature (a non-food item) that nearly floored me right there in the store when I saw the cost.

Another thing that's way too expensive is non-stick cooking spray. Around $4 for a standard size can of Pam. And the store brand isn't much better. So I stopped buying it and use my oil mister instead.
artc-oil-sprayer-cooking-f7477eb657ab441fb2c718fc4b90afc6.jpg

It’s a mixed bag here.

I shop the specials, managers markdowns, etc… and am able to find some good values as long as I remain flexible.

I’m still shocked on the prices of many name brand products and refuse to buy them unless they are featured as a loss leader.

I’ve noticed that Hellmann’s, Freihofer’s, Tide, Stouffer’s, and others have been working with local grocery chains to feature special offers on many of their products in an effort to stimulate sales.

The prices of in store bakery, deli items, and grab ‘n’ go prepared foods are another area where prices have gone up significantly.

IMO the current round of inflation is a great example of why increasing the minimum wage does nothing to lift people out of poverty and actually hurts more people than it helps.

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.” - Ronald Reagan
You're not alone on that one. I'm hearing more and more that people are straying away from name brand products and purchasing store brand instead.

Whatever happened to the generic items? You know, that we used to see for many products that came in black and white packaging? I don't see anything 'below' store brand products now, but those generic products were even cheaper than store brands.

If you really think about it, it makes sense that increasing minimum wage only increases inflation. I can't tell you how many people I've worked with who just (and yes, they were my age, like 23 and under, probably more liberal as well) threw out that increasing minimum wage would solve everything. I mean, sure, it seems like a good idea, but then you think about it and realize that it's kinda circular reasoning. If businesses need to pay their workers more, they need to recoup that cost somehow. As they can't just magically up their sales, they've gotta increase prices. Sad but true.

Makes me wonder if the best combat to fighting inflation is get people to spend more money. But if they don't, then you're kinda stuck. I love Ronald Regan btw.

You're not alone on that one. I'm hearing more and more that people are straying away from name brand products and purchasing store brand instead.

Whatever happened to the generic items? You know, that we used to see for many products that came in black and white packaging? I don't see anything 'below' store brand products now, but those generic products were even cheaper than store brands.
We still have a few that have been dressed up a little but in my opinion most of them are not a good value.

I prefer to wait for a sale or special on better quality products and stock up.

It seems like each supermarket chain has a fairly predictable cycle between specials and once you become familiar with that cycle you can plan ahead and stock up if your budget allows.

We still have a few that have been dressed up a little but in my opinion most of them are not a good value.

I prefer to wait for a sale or special on better quality products and stock up.

It seems like each supermarket chain has a fairly predictable cycle between specials and once you become familiar with that cycle you can plan ahead and stock up if your budget allows.
Very true. Those generic products weren't really all that great. Even the canned vegetables kinda sucked.

I do the same, waiting for sales, unless it's something I have to have right now, for whatever reason.

I can't think of many branded things that I buy. (branding takes marketing and sales and branding efforts) Lundberg rice, in 25 lb bags. (last week m&m's) I'm also not tied to any brand of anything but mr bliss is tied to diet coke. Instead of buying lettuce all winter, we (mr bliss and I) need to think of growing some lettuce in winter, like @pepperhead212 does. Unbranded things, or things we don't tie to brand, flour, beans and lentils, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruit. The prices of all of them has gone up but not as much as branded things.

I can't think of many branded things that I buy. (branding takes marketing and sales and branding efforts) Lundberg rice, in 25 lb bags. (last week m&m's) I'm also not tied to any brand of anything but mr bliss is tied to diet coke. Instead of buying lettuce all winter, we (mr bliss and I) need to think of growing some lettuce in winter, like @pepperhead212 does. Unbranded things, or things we don't tie to brand, flour, beans and lentils, nuts and seeds, vegetables and fruit. The prices of all of them has gone up but not as much as branded things.
I'm curious how one would go about growing lettuce in winter.

Despite lettuce here being $1.99 a head (which is completely ridiculous) the store I shop at the most is frequently out of it. I'll wander into produce (usually my first stop) to pick up what I need and the only area that's bare is the iceberg lettuce section. Gone. Nothing left. And it happens often.

It’s a mixed bag here.

Yeah, people are much better off when they make less money. :rolleyes:

While "inflation" is chipping away at our wallets, big corporations are reporting record profits. Wall Street is rolling in money, thanks to these record corporate profits. But, let's blame those greedy, overpaid workers.

I'm sure Reagan would also say, if he were still alive, the solution to this (and every) problem is tax cuts for the wealthy and big corporations. You know, trickle down economics.

CD

If you really think about it, it makes sense that increasing minimum wage only increases inflation. I can't tell you how many people I've worked with who just (and yes, they were my age, like 23 and under, probably more liberal as well) threw out that increasing minimum wage would solve everything. I mean, sure, it seems like a good idea, but then you think about it and realize that it's kinda circular reasoning. If businesses need to pay their workers more, they need to recoup that cost somehow. As they can't just magically up their sales, they've gotta increase prices. Sad but true.

Makes me wonder if the best combat to fighting inflation is get people to spend more money. But if they don't, then you're kinda stuck. I love Ronald Regan btw.

Jeff Bezos deserves his $7.9 million an hour, and that certainly doesn't contribute to inflation. Yep, it's those people stocking groceries at the supermarket who don't deserve fifteen bucks an hour. What a bunch of spoiled brats.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom