New YouTube channel on cooking outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
A guy I used to work with started a YouTube channel recently called "BBQ It: Meat Belongs Outside." He was the videographer, so he does all his own work on the video.

He's from Massachusetts (lives in Gloucester now) and went to college in New Mexico, where he fell in love with Hatch chiles. He orders them by the case; this episode is about roasting them.

https://youtu.be/bujw1e7MAps

Nice tutorial video.

I use a rotisserie to roast Hatch chilis. I have found that the stems need to be removed as they will catch in the basket holes and prevent the chilis from tumbling. I also place the rotisserie tines in side the basket at each end, pointing inward. This also helps to keep the chilis tumbling. Instead of dumping the coals into the bottom of the grill, I set up a 3 zone fire using coal baskets and placing a half split of wood in each basket on top of the coals and don't cover the grill. This is as close to an actual propane fired chili roaster as you can get using charcoal and wood. The basket I use has much larger openings in it, allowing the flames from the fire to actually "kiss" the chilis. The more black the skins get, the easier it is to remove them after steaming in plastic bags. I also remove all the seeds.

Back
Top Bottom