A few smoking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had forgotten all about this thread when that trash can smoker didn't pan out.
Thanks for digging it up paddfoot! I'll have to print out that marinade so I have it for my next burn.

I know I'm several days late and a dollar short on this thread, but here's my bit.

When I first started smoking, I was using charcoal for heat and chips, soaked and wrapped in foil, for smoke. I quickly moved up to using charcoal just to start the fire, then wood for heat and some smoke, with hickory chunks for more smoke. I'm now at the point where I just use wood for both heat and smoke. I mostly use oak and pecan for my fire.

I cheated last weekend with a skirt steak.

I cooked them about 3/4 of the way on my gas grill, then decided I'd like to add some smokey flavor. I placed two pieces of mesquite lump directly on the heat diffusers under the steaks. It worked like a charm. I had a nice mesquite flavor, the DW thought it was a sauce! lol

No foil packet, soaking or anything.

I had forgotten all about this thread when that trash can smoker didn't pan out.
Thanks for digging it up paddfoot! I'll have to print out that marinade so I have it for my next burn.
i still a bit new to this site, tell me more about "that trash can smoker did'nt pan out" curiour because my first smoker was a home made design and built trash can, figured i'd learn design build and redesign. it worked out well..

i still a bit new to this site, tell me more about "that trash can smoker did'nt pan out" curiour because my first smoker was a home made design and built trash can, figured i'd learn design build and redesign. it worked out well..

What kind of heat did you use? I used a hot plate. I tried two different ones. Couldn't get the smoker up to temp and couldn't produce smoke. I have read they work better with charcoal or some type of burnable fuel.

What kind of heat did you use? I used a hot plate. I tried two different ones. Couldn't get the smoker up to temp and couldn't produce smoke. I have read they work better with charcoal or some type of burnable fuel.
that was the biggest challenge after trial and error i used a cheap small kettle grill with the air vents on the bottom, lump charcoal started in a chimney so i always had a fresh supply, the temp went right up to 230 240, i got a good rolling smoke and controlled the temp from there by opening the trash can lid, the best ribs ive ever made came from this thing

I have used both chips and chunks. I couldn't even tell the time I used chips that I had used anything. I get much better smoked results with chunks.
I very much agree chunks give more smokey flavor.
<snip>
I much prefer hickory over mesquite - with anything. Just not a mesquite fan, I guess. <snip> I like to use a combination of woods.

And no, it won't take as long. You'll just have to go by temp.
Yep, best to check as the time goes by. Gets you nice and "smokey", too.:LOL:
Chau, Marty

I very much agree chunks give more smokey flavor.
<snip>
I much prefer hickory over mesquite - with anything. Just not a mesquite fan, I guess. <snip> I like to use a combination of woods.

Yep, best to check as the time goes by. Gets you nice and "smokey", too.:LOL:
Chau, Marty

if your cookin babys then in my opinion fruit wood is best, apple or pear

How is pear for smoking? I haven't noticed pear offered for sale, not like the other fruit trees anyway.

I'm asking because four years ago I cut down three pear trees and dragged them out back. What are the chances I could go out there with my chain saw, slice some pieces off, break them up into chunks, and they would work in my WSM to add good smoke?

I will be sure and follow this thread about pear wood. I have never seen it sold, but certainly 3 years is enough time to "cure" your wood. Hopefully someone who has personal experience will share what he or she thinks of pear wood for smoking.

I have used cherry and apple woods. They are both wonderful for smoking.

Chau, Marty

That's what I was getting at, Marty..... I've never seen it for sale, but I have read any fruit tree is acceptable. I've also read two different opinions on grape vines too though....

Nah, I meant more like whoever has some, fire up their smoker and cook something with it.

One of the things I meant to do while I lived in MI, but never got around to doing it, was to see if any of the multitude of local orchards would let me have some wood from trees that were taken out of production.

Fruit Tree Wood

Nah, I meant more like whoever has some, fire up their smoker and cook something with it.
One of the things I meant to do while I lived in MI, but never got around to doing it, was to see if any of the multitude of local orchards would let me have some wood from trees that were taken out of production.
Are their fruit orchards in Oklahoma? You have tweaked my curiosity. I am going to find out if there are any here in Panama. Must be: anything except trees that need a frost to set their fruit will grow and flourish here. (Means no apples, I think.)

There is no extended period of real hot temperature either, so no sweet corn here.

Chau,
Marty

Pear is very much like apple you just don't see it much. Four years down is longer than would like, ideal is 6 mos to 2 years but as long as it's not punky or full of bugs, you should be ok. If it has fungus growing on it get that off before putting it into the firebox.

Pear is very much like apple you just don't see it much. Four years down is longer than would like, ideal is 6 mos to 2 years but as long as it's not punky or full of bugs, you should be ok. If it has fungus growing on it get that off before putting it into the firebox.

Sounds like sound advice. I never knew wood could be down too long.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom