Reverse sear idea ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2"Q"

Head Chef
was thinking about the reverse sear ..
so what if i throw a nice thick ribeye on at
225 with some hickory ..
then finish in a smoking hot grill ..
or even a chimney starter ..
what do you think ?

Love2"Q", we had this thread here:(check it out -delicious!)
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM #1 Jeekinz
Certified Executive Chef

Profile: Location: New Jersey

Reverse Sear Ribeyes
As I said in another thread, I wanted to experiment with the reverse sear method. So I picked up some thick ribeyes and gave it a shot.

Ribeye steak with mixed new potatoes and a salad

Here's the raw meat ready for a 250F oven until it reaches 100F internal temp. I went slightly over because I was outside picking herbs. lol

was thinking about the reverse sear ..
so what if i throw a nice thick ribeye on at
225 with some hickory ..
then finish in a smoking hot grill ..
or even a chimney starter ..
what do you think ?

"Q" Like you...When I first heard about this technique...I immediately thought grill.. instead of oven and hot pan. I've only tried it once, with somewhat limted success...I took the meat to 101* inside my cooker...then directly over the coals. The problem I encountered was after a darn good sear on both sides the meat was only...120*...maybe a little more...I honestly don't remember. So I had to go back inside the cooker to finish it off. My thinking for next time is to take the meat to within about 15* or so, less than my target finish temperature before I sear. Make sense? If I want to pull it at 140*...I would take it to 125*...then sear, and rest it.... HTH

Oh..the meat was a piece of top sirloin 1 1/2 in. thick.

Have Fun!

thanks all ..UB i was thinking shooting for 15* of my
target .. i think i will try this over the weekend ..
Quicksilver ... thats where i got to thinking about this ..

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]cooked at 225 for about 40 mins ...
they were at 125 ..
put on a screaming hot grill for about 2-3mins
a side .. pulled at 140 .. should have pulled them
a bit earlier maybe 135 .. they were a smidgen overcooked but the boss was happy .. i rubbed these with a store bought steak rub .. and with the slow cooking it made a excellent crust on the steaks ..
all in all it was very good ..

[/FONT]

Attachments

• DSC_0004 [].JPG
    DSC_0004 [].JPG
    139 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0006 [].JPG
    DSC_0006 [].JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 202
Good idea. I was thinking about trying that too. I did the same as you and slightly overcooked the first time. Looks like a huge difference not using an oven.

jeekinz .. they had a really nice light smokey flavor to them ..
then i finally got to use my grate that came with the side fire box to
finish them off ..

Looks great, I tried it on a T-Bone, didn't quite come out the way I wanted to...Next time I'll cook them off the bone.

I've done both methods - sear then bake and bake then sear. Theoretically, the reverse sear should give you a more even doneness. I've found it easier to light my Big Green Egg and levelize the temp to around 400* and then light my Ultra Sear grill and let it heat up. Once the Ultra Sear is up to temp, I sear. If the Egg is ready, I move the meat right to the Egg, if not I'll let the meat rest a few minutes until the Egg stabilizes. I pull the meat at around 125* as my wife & I like rare. I usually dry the meat, rub with a little evoo, and then season with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic & rosemary. I use this method for both steaks & roasts.

Back
Top Bottom