Using espresso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jusnikki

Head Chef
Has anyone used espresso in their chocolate cakes or desserts? How does it enhance the flavor?

I was surprised to find that espresso isn't ready available here. My local grocer doesn't carry it. I thought it was something fairly common but I'm not even a coffee drinker so I wouldn't know. I have a recipe that calls for it and was wondering if it made that much of a difference....

Nikki, if you're not a coffee drinker, it would probably be hard to explain. Basically, the coffee intensifies the flavor of the chocolate.

I've used espresso in desserts like tiramisu, brownies, and even ice cream.

So it shouldn't make that big of a difference if I leave it out??? Other than the coffee flavor...does it taste like coffee?

If the recipe only calls for a small amount, it shouldn't. Or you could use any other kind of coffee. Espresso has an intense flavor, but I would certainly think other coffee types would work just as well.

Last edited:
If the recipe only calls for a small amount, it shouldn't. Or you could use any other kind of coffee. Espresso has an intense flavor, but I would certainly think other coffee types would work just as well.
Most of those recipes used to say to add instant coffee, but some of us don't keep any instant coffee at home, but can make some espresso.

I quit coffee in January, 2008. I realized I didn't really like coffee. I still drink the odd cup now and again, but I don't start my day with coffee. I do, however, keep coffee (beans, ground, and instant) in the freezer to use in various recipes.

I use instant espresso powder in anything chocolate for that flavor boost. It doesn't taste like coffee...it tastes more chocolate. Check JavaCabana.com for the Medaglia d'Oro Instant Espresso Powder. You can sometimes also find it at Safeway or Albertson's. I buy it by the case.

Ok thanks much!! :)
justnikki,
I add espresso to my brownies. It enhances the flavor of the chocolate. My dh came home with boxes of brownie mix, I added the espresso (which i found on line) some chili powder, milk instead of water,some salt, you'd be surprised how great they tasted. More like homemade instead of a mix. Hope this helps.
kades

If you have any left over coffee, you can heat it down to make it stronger and use that in place of the expresso. Just make sure you reduce the liquid in the recipe by the amount of coffee you use. Don't boil it. That will only make it bitter. Put it in a pan on low and let it reduce on its own. If you are going to add a cup, then put 1½ cups of coffee in the pan. When it reduces down to the amount you need, then take it off the heat and let it cool. :)

Thanks everyone. I think I'll order some from the King Arthur site. I see where they have it. If espresso has a chocolaty flavor I may have to try it as the drink, lol.

I prefer Cafe Bustelo over Medaglia D'Oro. Cafe Bustelo is Cuban coffee, and their espresso is much richer, deeper, and stronger than Medaglia. I use espresso all the time in my chocolate goods, and when I once tried Medaglia, I had to use about 5 times more to equal the Bustelo, which is also less expensive then Medaglia.
Here's a link - scroll down to where it says "Café Bustelo Instant Coffee," which is actually espresso. Especially check out their 3.5 oz or 7 oz jars.
Java Cabana: Bustelo Blends

Last edited:
I prefer Cafe Bustelo over Medaglia D'Oro. Cafe Bustelo is Cuban coffee, and their espresso is much richer, deeper, and stronger than Medaglia. I use espresso all the time in my chocolate goods, and when I once tried Medaglia, I had to use about 5 times more to equal the Bustelo, which is also less expensive then Medaglia.
Here's a link - scroll down to where it says "Café Bustelo Instant Coffee," which is actually espresso. Especially check out their 3.5 oz or 7 oz jars.
Java Cabana: Bustelo Blends

I haven't had the Bustelo Instant because it didn't say espresso. Now I'll have to try it. I have an account at Java Cabana...:angel:

I haven't had the Bustelo Instant because it didn't say espresso. Now I'll have to try it. I have an account at Java Cabana...:angel:

Ya know, that always annoyed me - They actually have some tiny letters above the name in the upper left hand corner that says "tipo espresso," but why so tiny? If you look at the photo, you can just make it out:
display_bustelo_instantf.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom