Weird Smell from Chocolate Chip Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paddydd

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I just cooked a batch of chocolate chip cookies using Nestle Toll house morsels and the recipe right off the package. I went by the instructions exactly and when the cookies were ready I could swear I smelled something in them (that I didn't think belonged there). After some time my brain told me that it smelled like peanut butter.

So I wondered if one of my ingredients went bad. The only ingredient that I had that was somewhat old was the dark brown sugar. Could this be it?

Then I went and read the package to see if they used peanut oil or some such thing. Turns out they don't but, the package states that the product was produced in a factory that handles peanuts. Could this be the source of the smell?

Has anyone seen (or smelled) something like this?

Paddy (in NJ)

Sure did and they are okay but I still smell the peanut.
But I'm holding off on serving the rest because I'm not sure.

I'm hoping that someone else has seen this.

Paddy

Hi,
I just cooked a batch of chocolate chip cookies using Nestle Toll house morsels and the recipe right off the package. I went by the instructions exactly and when the cookies were ready I could swear I smelled something in them (that I didn't think belonged there). After some time my brain told me that it smelled like peanut butter.

So I wondered if one of my ingredients went bad. The only ingredient that I had that was somewhat old was the dark brown sugar. Could this be it?

Then I went and read the package to see if they used peanut oil or some such thing. Turns out they don't but, the package states that the product was produced in a factory that handles peanuts. Could this be the source of the smell?

Paddy (in NJ)

The toll house recipe I have calls for lite brown sugar, so the dark brown sugar may be the source of the weird smell. Butter, when it is browned, is often described as having a "nutty" smell also.

Smell is pretty subjective, as is taste. Have you seen those chefs on Hells Kitchen that can't pick out a common piece of meat or fruit by taste?

Anyway, that smell may disappear as the cookies cool. If it doesn't and it really freaks you out, then toss them.

I am not aware of any problems with sugar other than getting hard and bugs if not stored really well.

Bugs.....hmm... Maybe you should just leave those cookies outside your back door and I'll come over and dispose of them for you:ROFLMAO:

But the only difference between light and dark brown sugar is artificial coloring. Not sure what could've caused the smell. . . I make cookies from that recipe all the time and they turn out fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful! Let us know if you think of anything else that might be related.

Hey. . . this might be totally off, but have you recently used your oven or baking sheets for anything with peanuts in it?

But the only difference between light and dark brown sugar is artificial coloring. Not sure what could've caused the smell. . . I make cookies from that recipe all the time and they turn out fine. Sorry I can't be more helpful! Let us know if you think of anything else that might be related.

Hey. . . this might be totally off, but have you recently used your oven or baking sheets for anything with peanuts in it?

Dark brown sugar has more molasses than light brown, I prefer light brown.

I had that happen to me, I found that my shortening wasn't the freshest.
It will go rancid after a while and I think mine was on the edge. Smmer time don't bake as much.
I threw all out and brought new can and started over and they were good.
Now I learn to buy small can of shortening in summer.

I had that happen to me, I found that my shortening wasn't the freshest.
It will go rancid after a while and I think mine was on the edge. Smmer time don't bake as much.
I threw all out and brought new can and started over and they were good.
Now I learn to buy small can of shortening in summer.

I always buy the small can thinking I won't use if fast enough and It's not good for me anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've ended up with a half of a cup when the recipe calls for 3/4 cup or more. I usually substitute butter for the rest with good results or sometimes oil.

I guess I'm like the guy who buys his cigarettes one pack at a time because he's going to quit soon. 5 years later, he is still buying them one pack at a time.

Nestle's Toll House

Even by Nestlé's and starvation standards, Nestlé's "Original" Toll house chocolate chip cookies' recipe is amongst the worst of recipes. That ghastly smell, especially after the cookies have been placed in Tupperware, almost certainly has to be coming from the chips. It is being generous to suggest the odor is reminiscent of peanut butter or the amount of molasses in the brown sugar used, or rancid shortening. Almost everyone gives this "classic" a 4 1/2 star rating. Almost everyone is wrong. Better recipes are everywhere. Try Thomas Keller.
Hi,

Paddy (in NJ)

Back
Top Bottom