ISO Pot Roast Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turando

Cook
Hi,

I'm looking to make my first pot roast (never made any type of roast before). I have a 1kg piece of meat for my husband and I.

I did a search and read through various threads and from what I can gather the main points are

- to sear all sides
- add some kind of liquid i.e. beef stock and put it in the oven for a few hours

I only have dried herbs on hand - will they work as well as fresh herbs?

How long should I leave a 1kg piece of meat to cook? And what temperature?

I mainly want to make a nice well done piece of meat that is tender and have liquid so I can make a nice gravy.

Also what should I rub on the meat?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thankyou!

The liquid can be stock or a combination of stock and wine. Dry herbs will be fine. Cook it covered in the oven for a couple of hours at 300-350F. The meat's internal temperature should be around 200F for a pot roast. If you don't have a thermometer, it sohuld be fork tender. Stick a fork into it and it should geo in with relative ease.

Add some veggies to the liquid. Carrots, onion and celery. Mushrooms are also good. Add them for the last 30-40 minutes so they will cook without turning to mush.

Defat the liquid and thicken it with a flour and water slurry for a delicious gravy.

Andy - thanks for your help. I have a probe thermometer - should I leave that in it till it goes to 200F? I also have an instant thermometer too that I could use.

Some questions (some might seem obvious!):

- Does the meat need to be totally immersed in the stock/wine mixture?
- How much stock/liquid would you recommend for a small roast? (It's only 1kg).
- What kind of ratio of wine/beef stock would go well together?
- when I put the veggies in do they need to be covered by the liquid?

mudbug - thankyou! I'm a bit scared of cooking bigger pieces of meat (don't ask why. IT's just a weird thing) but am trying it out now as I've gotten more into cooking. :)

The liquid should come half way up the side of the roast.

A cup of wine and the rest broth will do the trick.

Use whatever amount so the roast is half immersed.

The veggies don't have to be covered.

Hi Andy,

Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe and help :) The pot roast came out quite good and the gravy it made was delicious. First time I made gravy I really like :) My husband enjoyed it a lot.

Now I think I can move onto other peices of meat since this one worked out well!

Back
Top Bottom