Pan seared steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The method I use when pan-searing and finishing in the oven is to place the steaks on wire racks in foil lined cookie pans or sheet pans. Bone in, boneless, doesn't really matter. No turning necessary either.

Only things that really matter to the method are how thick your steaks are (which will vary your cooking time a little), if you're cooking for the whole neighborhood (too many steaks in the oven will slow you down, but you have to have a LOT of meat to make it a factor) and how done you really want your steak. Thick cut steaks generally get medium rare at 350 in a half hour, If you want straight medium you can up the time or up the temp to 375.

Well done steaks are generally the hardest to get the timing right with this method, because generally you're cooking them for what seems like forever. Especially if you've only got one person requesting well done.

...Thick cut steaks generally get medium rare at 350 in a half hour, If you want straight medium you can up the time or up the temp to 375...

After searing both sides of a 2" thick filet, 10-11 minutes in a 350 F will give me a medium steak. I usually do them for 8-9 minutes for medium rare. I just leave them in the same pan and move it from the burner to the oven

How thick are your steaks!?

Hm... I'm usually using steaks somewhere around 1.25-1.5" thick, basically the thickest ones I find at Wal-Mart... But using porterhouse and T-bone rather than filet... And generally in the 12-16 oz range

Might also be the difference in method. Your hot pan might help cook em quicker than my transfer to cool racks.

I generally sear for only about 30-40 seconds on the edges, and, at most, 90 seconds on the flats. Using a cheap non-stick fry pan to do the searing. All I look for is getting that nice caramel color underlying the rub I'm using before popping em in the oven.

As far as temperature goes for the sear, I've generally got the pan just below the point where it starts smoking the evoo I use to keep the rub on the steaks.

In general, the technique is to hit it fast and hard with the sear, and finish slow and gentle in the oven.

Last edited:
I sear a little longer to get a nice crust then go to the oven. that explains the diff. I have done it in a non-stick skillet and put that in the oven at 350F.

The wind was blowing very hard last night so I pan seared a nice Choice NY strip instead of fooling with the grill. Got the pan real hot
over a medium high heat then melted garlic butter and olive oil.

img_522373_0_e5fd95accb2ef5a0fe34c9a538d6097e.jpg

Gave the steak a good dusting with a mixture of kosher salt, garlic salt, and ground black pepper, then into the pan. Seasoned the other side while searing.

img_522373_1_1904b823acd24041c720ea712109a8c1.jpg

Just about ready, I do it all in the pan. About three minutes a side does it for me, nice and rare.

img_522373_2_7021f1148ff3eae539134effec3ad9c4.jpg

Remove it to a warm plate and cover with a clean cloth. Add some white wine to the pan and work it around.

img_522373_3_052439da3bc47ea83732541452036a20.jpg

Pour drippings over the steak and it’s time to eat.

img_522373_4_58e91be7d5f70081ba5287a7c7e9e7f5.jpg

img_522373_5_d9b2dde43ea01dfad76e4eb8c8044a49.jpg

John A, this is the only way I make steaks (in part because I don't know how to do it any other way). I don't put mine in the oven, either. I found this method in a Julia Child cookbook and I think she called it pan-saute'd steak and it really is no-fail. The only difference is I don't season until the steaks come out to rest, I use red wine, and I swirl in butter after the wine has reduced and the pan is off heat.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics - they would have helped me so much when I was learning to do this.

Hi Fisher's Mom,

I season before cooking as the salt draws juices out thereby giving a nice crust. I prefer doing them on a grill but this a very good alternative.

Okay, John, I'll season the meat before I cook before next Steak Sunday! I intend to start learning to use my grill but I'll probably wait until spring. I kinda like cooking in the kitchen in winter because I have no heat in there and it warms things up a little.

I just noticed that you are in San Antonio. My first time there was in the mid 40's when my dad was stationed at Randolph Field, we lived in New Braunfels. The second was in 1959 while I was at Lackland AFB.

Let me just say that I was so pleased with how my steaks turned out that I want to repeat it for Christmas dinner since there will only be three of us.

Let me just say that I was so pleased with how my steaks turned out that I want to repeat it for Christmas dinner since there will only be three of us.
Isn't this an awesome way to make fabulous steaks??? Being new to real cooking, I had never made a good steak before this spring. Somehow, I always managed to turn any steak into shoe leather. Doing it this way, I always turn out tender juicy steaks. My family is so delighted that we have them every Sunday evening. And actually, we'll probably have them for Christmas dinner, too!

I just noticed that you are in San Antonio. My first time there was in the mid 40's when my dad was stationed at Randolph Field, we lived in New Braunfels. The second was in 1959 while I was at Lackland AFB.
Things have really changed since you were here John. When I moved here 20+ years ago, there were 7 military installations. Half of them have closed or been privatized. Lackland and Ft. Sam are still going strong mostly because of their medical facilities. But it's become quite the tourist town with the RiverWalk at the center of things. You'll have to get back down this way one day!

usually i am cooking for myself. i really try to keep it interesting but it can be hard.

not a huge meat lover, but do like the occasional rare steak. i buy extra thin and sear in skillet. so much easier to the get the rare meat i am after. had one last night, i use a steak seasoning that i buy in market. yum

babe

Well I got to have pan seared steak last night, but it was in having to go to Plan B......
I couldn't get my grill to heat up or the weak looking flames to adjust. I even changed out bottles and put a fresh one on. Being behind the 8 ball with my other food items being just about done, I threw my CI skillet on the stove and turned the burner on high. In went some EVOO and garlic powder and in the meantime I turned the oven on. I put the steak in, waited a while, flipped it, waited a while and put it in the oven. Waited a while and pulled it out. I had no idea what I was doing other than having read pan searing threads and asking questions here.
It wasn't the prettiest looking steak I've ever had. It sort of browned up like a fried porch chop and I'm used to having grill marks, but it had to be one of the juiciest, pink all the way through, tenderest steaks I've ever eaten. I was not expecting it to come out that well.

I may just put pan searing in a rotation with the grill. I'm a believer now that it's a great way to do steaks!

Oh, and I called Ducane this morning and apparently there's some sort of safety device built into the regulators now, it musn't have liked the way I turned on the grill last night and had regulated the pressure down. All is well with my grill again.

I too prefer a grill but pan seared does go good every now and then. Sounds as if you opened the gas tank valve too fast, that's what Weber told me when I had a similiar problem.

On this grill I leave the valve open all the time. Don't know why..... maybe because that's what my father does, maybe because the tank is out of sight (out of mind), but no more.
I'll bet opening the valve to quickly was the problem with another grill I used to have (that I didn't like) because it never got hot enough for me. I got a new grill as a housewarming present and was very ticked off I ever got rid of my old one, which was pre '95. That new one never did work right. I gave it away and heard it worked great for the new owners..... :huh:
Now after reading the instructions Ducane emailed me I see where you're supposed to open the valve in quarter turns and it should take 15 seconds to open it all the way.

That's gonna take some training on my part :wacko: Old habits are hard to break. I always just spun the valve open. I'm surprised I never had a problem before with this grill and so was customer support :ohmy:

But I'm glad I did if only to have to pan sear my ribeye :)

On this grill I leave the valve open all the time. Don't know why..... maybe because that's what my father does, maybe because the tank is out of sight (out of mind), but no more.
I'll bet opening the valve to quickly was the problem with another grill I used to have (that I didn't like) because it never got hot enough for me. I got a new grill as a housewarming present and was very ticked off I ever got rid of my old one, which was pre '95. That new one never did work right. I gave it away and heard it worked great for the new owners..... :huh:
Now after reading the instructions Ducane emailed me I see where you're supposed to open the valve in quarter turns and it should take 15 seconds to open it all the way.

I know this is an old thread...

Pacanis: You should NEVER open the gas cyclinder valve more than a half turn or so. That's all that it needs to be opened to operate perfectly fine. This is basic compressed gas cylinder safety I'm talking about. The reason is that in the event of an emergency you can shut off the valve immediately with just a quick turn. But it makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE whether it is opened a half turn or all the way open until it stops turning. You will not get any more gas coming out if it is opened all the way. And you should not leave it open all the time because if there is a small leak anywhere it will drain your gas down and could also pose a safety hazard if it were stored in an enclosed space such a garage.

You should NEVER open the gas cyclinder valve more than a half turn or so. That's all that it needs to be opened to operate perfectly fine.
Very interesting. I have always opened it the full amount. This weekend I will try your method because if it works like you say then that makes a lot of sense from a safety perspective.

i don't really like the flavor of pan seared beef. i broil or grill my steaks. when i do a roast i rub it with oil. i crank the oven to 500 to start the brown crust then lower heat (some people sear a roast then put in oven).

Back
Top Bottom