Question about Beefburgers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyjonny_uk

Senior Cook
I'm thinking about making some beefburgers today as I've got some beef mince needs using up in the fridge and just wanted to ask if I'm to add some finely chopped onion and garlic would it be best to fry them first slightly to soften or put in raw? It's just I've seen recipes say both so just looking for your advice.

John

I would think it's a personal texture preference, although the garlic might be best served, flavor-wise, with just a quick saute in either case.

Some people think that the point of a modern hamburger is the enhanced flavor of the beef, and not to cover it up with a lot of other strong flavors, such as lots of garlic or ginger. Others go the route that the beef is a neutral pallet upon which to show off flavor combinations, or even to hide the fact that the beef might be a little "off" and mask its favor. I suppose it might come down to the quality of the beef you're using as to which approach you would use.

It is absolutely personal preference. Once way is not better than the other. It just depends on what you like.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies and that's a great help. I decided to leave the onion and garlic uncooked and also went down the route of adding flavour to the beef because it wasn't the best quality and next time I will go to a better store to get my beef mince and maybe use less herbs to taste the actual meat.

I've actually finished cooking them and was really pleased with the end result but needed to go a little easier on the herbs. It was all trial and error really as I hadn't made my own burgers before so next time I will try a different recipe. They still tasted very nice though and I'll post the recipe and some photos soon :chef:

Back
Top Bottom