Beaver, Chicken-fried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Beaver, Chicken-fried
Ingredients:
1 beaver, cut to serving portions
2 Italian sweet onions
4 oz. saltine crackers "1 sleeve"
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt & pepper to taste
Procedure
Parboil beaver in salted water with onions until
tender. Heat shortening and bacon grease in a large heavy skillet. Mix
thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper, rub into beaver, coat well. Crush crackers
to fine crumbs. Roll beaver pieces through cracker crumbs to coat well. Cook
real slow with pan 1/2 covered until browned and tender. Serve.:chef:

i'm sure it's not licia. (don't make me look bad luckytrim...:ermm: )

lots of people in the u.s. eat all sorts of critters. it's just not as common in urban or suburban areas. often, the preparation is used to conceal the more challenging flavors, like bbq/extra sauce or breading/deep frying.

:chef: when you are raised on a dirt-farm on the west virginia-maryland border, you eat what the lord provides
i have granny's "receipts" for groundhog, possum, even a crow breast casserole.
of course there are plenty of greens recipes, collard, poke, ramp, etc.
if anybody wants a copy (in PDF) feel free to e-mail me..........
LT

Last edited:
I know that there a lot of people that I have met that eat all kinds of critters. It is definately not for me though!!

I remember one time a neighbor kid shot a squirrel with a sling shot and killed it. My husband made him skin it and the kids mom cooked it and made him eat. My husband was raised that you don't kill for the fun, you kill for the food and it's not to be wasted. That kid never shot another animal except when hunting deer.:)

Poor people eat what they can. Beavers are clean animals, and I wouldn't hesitate to try the meat.

Cute as they are, beavers are a pest in some areas, and can be quite destructive. As mine manager for a strip mine, my husband sometimes had to resort to dynamiting beaver dams because they were blocking waterways that were needed for drainage.

i don't recall being "poor"; maybe we were, but i was never "hungry".

it's just that you don't have a store close enough to shop in but maybe once a month!

:chef:

luckytrim said:
:chef: when you are raised on a dirt-farm on the west virginia-maryland border, you eat what the lord provides
i have granny's "receipts" for groundhog, possum, even a crow breast casserole.
of course there are plenty of greens recipes, collard, poke, ramp, etc.
if anybody wants a copy (in PDF) feel free to e-mail me..........
LT
Cow breast cassoroll? Umm, don't cows have udders on their breasts?

crow's breast BB........crows are rather large birds in my neighborhood, I've shot a few, but with a shot gun, kinda mangles them, but I post them in the garden as a warning for other crows as to their fate if they dare lust after my ripe corn ears again...

Hey Constance, I know what you mean, I actually consider myself a pacifist, but sometimes life is a compromise and contradiction. We have gone to great lengths to fence the garden above and below ground to keep out digging and jumping critters, so that we do not have to commit violence on animals using our garden for a salad bar. But fences do not keep out birds. We tried scare crows, but the crows just used them as a perch to survey and plot their attack of the sweet corn. The reason I shoot them, is that it works, 100% of the time. It just takes murdering one crow, and posting that crow near the corn patch as a warning to the other crows, they squawk and sqwawk but keep flying by. I truely believe animals are our friends. But I will take drastic action when one is about to demolish my sweet corn crop.

bethzaring said:
crow's breast BB........crows are rather large birds in my neighborhood, I've shot a few, but with a shot gun, kinda mangles them, but I post them in the garden as a warning for other crows as to their fate if they dare lust after my ripe corn ears again...
Oh crow's! Oh okay, my mistake. Well okay, I guess thats... wait a minute thats even worse!

bethzaring said:
Hey Constance, I know what you mean, I actually consider myself a pacifist, but sometimes life is a compromise and contradiction. We have gone to great lengths to fence the garden above and below ground to keep out digging and jumping critters, so that we do not have to commit violence on animals using our garden for a salad bar. But fences do not keep out birds. We tried scare crows, but the crows just used them as a perch to survey and plot their attack of the sweet corn. The reason I shoot them, is that it works, 100% of the time. It just takes murdering one crow, and posting that crow near the corn patch as a warning to the other crows, they squawk and sqwawk but keep flying by. I truely believe animals are our friends. But I will take drastic action when one is about to demolish my sweet corn crop.

A gal's gotta eat!

SizzlininIN said:
:sick: ......no comment :)

To bad you have preconceived notions about this. Ground beaver tastes just like ground sirloin. The roasts are tasty and juicy. They are also low in fat and cholestrol. Frankly I would trade two pounds of venison for a pound of beaver any day.

Coon, squirrels, grouse, venison, bear, are all wonderful meats. Considering that they were farmed by the Creator, Free Range, in a natural environment, without chemicals makes them extreamly healthy for you too.

It does takes skill and knowledge to prepare them correctly.

If you order venison in a big city restaurant you better take a loan out to pay for it.:wacko:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom