Big Sky High

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
I live about 35 miles from where I was born, in southeast Wyoming, in a river valley in the Medicine Bow Range at 7800 ft. Before coming back, I spent time in in Utah, California, and New Zealand.

I started cooking a long time ago, as a campjack for a ranch, spending a few months in the mountains with packhorses and a herd of sheep. Sourdough was our staff of life. I also learned to butcher and cut meat, and how to cook over an open fire.

These days, I have a year-round greenhouse and summer outdoor garden, in a severe climate: cold winters, summers dry and windy, frosts both late and early. I love to cook what we grow. And ripe tomatoes for Christmas.

J1A7IpV.jpg

I guess then show us what kind of cooking you do.

Them tomatoes look pretty good. Have you ever had black salt ? It goes on two things, beef before cooking, and raw tomatoes.

Has like an egg flavor to it.

I would like to find more things on which to use it but with that flavor it is limited.

T

That's interesting, T - I would have never thought of putting black salt on a tomato, though I am always eating raw tomatoes with salt on them! I'll have to try that - my tomatoes are starting to ripen now.

Black salt is one of those little known Indian ingredients, with some sulfur salts added to it - thus the egg flavor. A good chaat masala will have some in it, even though recipes I've seen often list it as an "option". Some chutneys I've made also have some black salt.

Last edited:
One of the things is mainly that it is unrefined. They make much more out of what they refine from salt than the salt. These are valuable minerals and trace minerals in the correct form for the body to metabolise. There are 24 minerals considered essential to life in most of the world, but some say more. Sea water has usually 70 significant ones.

Despite the fact there is supporting evidence I consider this hypothesis;

When Peoples stopped being so nomadic, they settled on farms Thing is it was always the same farm, by claim or deed. The land got played out and then the produce lost its potency. It was fertilised with what makes the plants grow, not us.

Back then salt was used in cooking and reserving, and I believe that saved them, it got them the minerals they needed.

If you want real evidence I can look it up, but so can you.

T

I live about 35 miles from where I was born, in southeast Wyoming, in a river valley in the Medicine Bow Range at 7800 ft. Before coming back, I spent time in in Utah, California, and New Zealand.
I started cooking a long time ago, as a campjack for a ranch, spending a few months in the mountains with packhorses and a herd of sheep. Sourdough was our staff of life. I also learned to butcher and cut meat, and how to cook over an open fire.
These days, I have a year-round greenhouse and summer outdoor garden, in a severe climate: cold winters, summers dry and windy, frosts both late and early. I love to cook what we grow. And ripe tomatoes for Christmas.

I expected a much different post from the thread title.
High in Blue Sky.........lol.

Oh...beautiful little tomatoes!!!!! I grow them as well. I cannot garden in the traditional way anymore. Even raised beds have become difficult for me. But I do have 4 tomato plants. 2 Patio and 2 Husky cherry.
I bet its beautiful in Wyoming. But cold in winter as you say.

Last edited:
Have a look at the active threads to see my posts. My wife is trying to shift to a plant-based diet, so what I cook is changing quite a bit.

My wife is too. But I do all the cooking so its up to me to figure out how.
Its not easy.
But she will eat meat in small amounts and I have found fish to be a good choice. But we cannot eat fish every night. I could though.

Last night we had fried, extra thick bologna with lettuce tomato and onion on sandwich rolls....lol It was beef bologna......lol
It was GREAT!

Back
Top Bottom