Portable induction stove tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If these induction cook tops, with their precise temp control, can keep liquid at a constant temp, could they be used effectively to cook sous vide? I know they don’t circulate the water...

Now, if you're looking for a communal table top cooking appliance have you looked at electric hot pots and griddles? We have both a large griddle for doing Korean style bbq or Japanese yakiniku and a shallow hot pot for sukiyaki, shabu shabu, and oden. They're both Zozirushi brands.

I have had the Nuwave induction burner
for almost 5 years. I use it daily, Love the
temp.controls. If it died tomorrow I would
order this one again.
JustJoel I bought the nuwave thinking I could
use it as a Souvide . That did not work to well
for me. The Nuwave and a Sous Vide are two things
that you would love in your kitchen, they are not expensive.
Here is a link for more information for all of you. The info is
all over Utube.

josie

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NuWave+Induction+Cooktop+Instructions+Book&Form=VQFRVP

Last edited:
I am not sure about that particular brand, but I have two counter top induction units and have since bought an induction range. In my experience the range has much more precise temp control through its settings. It is also much faster and I guess this is due to 240V vs. 120V. There is also the "you get what you pay for" thing. The cost for the range is in a different league compared to the counter top units.

I have had the Nuwave induction burner
for almost 5 years. I use it daily, Love the
temp.controls. If it died tomorrow I would
order this one again.
JustJoel I bought the nuwave thinking I could
use it as a Souvide . That did not work to well
for me. The Nuwave and a Sous Vide are two things
that you would love in your kitchen, they are not expensive.
Here is a link for more information for all of you. The info is
all over Utube.

josie

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=NuWave+Induction+Cooktop+Instructions+Book&Form=VQFRVP
I have an Anova, it was just a random musing ;)

That was obviously a typo, so I’m assuming your post is “obviously” a gentle tease.

No it was not obvious to me that it was a typo.

I just assumed the misspelling might be why your search here wasn't coming up with anything, apparently.

That's all ....

Aren't you supposed to have special pots for true induction cooking?

As long as the pot is made with a magnetic metal, it will work on induction. Cast iron, carbon steel and magnetic stainless steel will work. Aluminum will not.

As long as the pot is made with a magnetic metal, it will work on induction. Cast iron, carbon steel and magnetic stainless steel will work. Aluminum will not.

I just tested all my cookware with a refrigerator magnet. I'm sad that my favorite pots and pans won't work.. like my AllClad "do everything" 3 qt saute pan.
I'm rethinking this whole induction thing.

Last edited:
I just tested all my cookware with a refrigerator magnet. I'm sad that my favorite pots and pans won't work.. like my AllClad "do everything" 3 qt saute pan.
I'm rethinking this whole induction thing.

All-Clad does make at least one line of SS pans that are induction compatible.

OK, now I've tried not 3, but 10 different magnets from the fridge door that stick like glue. Sorry to say the pan is the problem, not the magnets.;)

I have a call into AC customer service and I'll report back.

I have old All Clad stainless, for the most part.

We are remodeling our Cape kitchen and I was thinking of an induction stove, but now I'm not sure ...

Do I just test it with a kitchen magnet?

Jen, induction cooktops work through magnetic waves. If a magnet sticks to the outside of the pan, you should be fine.

OK, now I've tried not 3, but 10 different magnets from the fridge door that stick like glue. Sorry to say the pan is the problem, not the magnets.;)

I have a call into AC customer service and I'll report back.
Did you stick it to the inside bottom or outside bottom? My All Clad pans have an interior layer of non-magnetic SS and an exterior layer of magnetic SS.

Pretty sure a magnet has to stick to bottom of pan.

Cookware made in the last few years will have a symbol indicating it is for induction cooking. I THINK it is wavy lines. We made sure that symbol was on the last stockpot we bought.

Back
Top Bottom