Are "Meyer Tensl" pans safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elsmandino

Assistant Cook
Hi there.

I have recently become aware of a possible link between older Teflon pans and cancer and have decided to chuck out all my older non-stick pans (they were all old and scratched, anyway).

One thing I am not too sure is about a set of pans called Meyer Tensl, which my mother-in-law gave me many, many years ago.

These pans are dark grey and seem pretty heavy. Does anyone know what they are made of and are there any safety concerns about their continued use?

The chemical PFOA is used in the manufacture of teflon pans and other products. It is a carcinogen.

However, PFOA IS NOT FOUND IN THE FINISHED PRODUCT.

Your pans are safe when used according product directions.

As long as you don't overheat the teflon pans, there is no problem with PFOE. This chemical has not been used for the manufacturing of cookware teflon since 2013, but this doesn't mean that the replacements are totally safe. Simply put, don't use the pans for things like blackening fish, where you would preheat a CI pan for several minutes, as this could break down the PTFE, and cause smoking. But it will take a very high temp. Even the teflon flaking off old pans wasn't really a problem, as it is inert, though it's still a good idea to replace things like that!

Back
Top Bottom