Making applesauce from apples exposed to smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everett

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
We have an apple tree in my front yard and we've been planning on making applesauce for my nephew, who is 10 months old.
However, I live in northern British Columbia, and we've had massive wildfires around here recently. Last month it was very smoky and the air quality was very poor, and although it has significantly improved since then, I'm wondering if it is safe to use the apples off the trees after being exposed to the smoke.
It is just a matter of washing the apples well, or should I avoid it altogether and buy some from the grocery store instead?

I'd have no reservations using it. Don't think farmers will be tossing out all their crops for all the areas that had smoke.
Smokey applesauce actually sounds pretty good :)

I make apple sause in the crock pot so i peel them and cut them up. I have one of them hand crank apple peepers. It cuts Then into a spiral so it's really easy. Then I mash them with a tater masher real good. I kinda like chunky apple sause.

Titled: "Making applesauce from apples exposed to smoke?"
Hello everyone,
We have an apple tree in my front yard and we've been planning on making applesauce for my nephew, who is 10 months old.
However, I live in northern British Columbia, and we've had massive wildfires around here recently. Last month it was very smoky and the air quality was very poor, and although it has significantly improved since then, I'm wondering if it is safe to use the apples off the trees after being exposed to the smoke.
It is just a matter of washing the apples well, or should I avoid it altogether and buy some from the grocery store instead?
Clicked on this thread with my new indoor smoker in mind. If the smoke was from a chemical, industrial, or maybe even urban fire, I would be hesitant. But from a forest fire? Sounds like an opportunity. Hope you let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom