Which rack is the middle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
I have four slots in my oven. So is the middle spot the second-from-top or the second-from-bottom?

If nobody knows, that’s cool.

This is not a geometry question.

Any rack position that puts the pan near the middle of the oven will do. Don't think of it as the Middle. Think of it as not near the top or the bottom.

LOL... I figure that the term 'middle rack' was because perhaps a lot of ovens in the early days didn't have equally space racks or as many slots as some oven do now.

As kgirl says, just eyeball it or measure. I would say it also depends on what you are cooking. If it is in a deep/high pan, such as a loaf pan, I would take the lower middle. If it is a shallow pan, maybe the upper.

I've had the same situation but in the end I've found it doesn't really matter. You'll have to figure out your own oven idiosyncrasies.

Just keep an eye on it, especially towards the end, to ensure it is fully cooked for whatever it is.

Another suggestion might be to use an oven shelf thermometer. Start placing it on the two racks at different times (or get two, 'bout $4 ea) and see which one comes closest to the desired temp. Of course, I should think, is that the temps will change depending on what you are cooking. :wacko:

I believe that the idea of the "middle rack" is that there is equal temp surrounding/blanketing the object being baked/roasted. IMHO

I have four slots too in my oven. When a recipe calls for the middle one, I use the 2nd one from the bottom as the 2nd from the top is a bit too close to the heating unit. I move the sheet there at the end to broil whatever I'm baking.

And as dragnlaw said above, it also depends on what you are cooking and in what dish. Let's say you're baking a big piece of meat, when you place the sheet on the 2nd rack (from the bottom) the top of the meat would site perfectly in the middle actually :)

I have four slots too in my oven. When a recipe calls for the middle one, I use the 2nd one from the bottom as the 2nd from the top is a bit too close to the heating unit. I move the sheet there at the end to broil whatever I'm baking.

And as dragnlaw said above, it also depends on what you are cooking and in what dish. Let's say you're baking a big piece of meat, when you place the sheet on the 2nd rack (from the bottom) the top of the meat would site perfectly in the middle actually :)

Yup. I try to figure out which one seems to fulfill the intent the best.

Back
Top Bottom