Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Old Venting Thread (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/old-venting-thread-16347.html)

Uncle Bob 02-13-2007 01:11 PM

Ok..we went out last night to celebrate my daughter's birthday...had a grand time and pretty good food(I am hard to impress) Anyway I order a Wild Turkey 101 neat....It comes to the table...the smell is wrong..the taste not right..:ermm: Instead of bothering the little waitress I walk to the bar..had a "conversation" with the bar-keep..He poured me another out of a WT 101 bottle.....returned to the table.. after a few sips..THIS IS NOT WILD TURKEY! rather than make scene I let it go! Towards the end of the evening I had a chance to "visit" with the Manager..He came back later an said he agreed..something was not right. Brought me another drink out of a "fresh" bottle...This time was WT 101. He comped(sp) the drinks!
My younger son worked tables for a spell while in school and he said the owner's regularly put Taka vodka into Grey Goose bottles...So anyway Buyer beware!

Jeekinz 02-13-2007 01:52 PM

Had the same crap happen to me! Nothing like ruining a night with the first cocktail.

redkitty 02-13-2007 02:04 PM

UncleB, thats just cr*p! At least he comped the drinks. I always wonder about this too, being a vodka snob I always get Belvedere or GG. And on a few occasions it didnt taste so good!

Uncle Bob 02-13-2007 02:20 PM

Well I may could be "duped" on Vodka, gin, rum,scotch maybe.. but not Bourbons...especially those that I drink and have in my bunker!!
I am very familiar with the Wild Turkey bourbons...I love WT Rare Breed...
Most food joints, around here at least, don't offer the Top Shelf labels/brands..rather going with the "well" brands...Lower shelf labels and charging Big time prices....Alcohol is "big bucks"(profit) in the restaurant business! "Call" brands/labels they really "take care of business"

Jeekinz 02-14-2007 10:45 AM

I took a bartending class years ago. This is what's called "Marrying a Bottle"...and if there are any bar/restaraunt owners reading this, you know well that it is very much illegal.

Speaking of bar etiquette, what ever happened to "Last pour is on the house" rule?

SizzlininIN 02-14-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ok..we went out last night to celebrate my daughter's birthday...had a grand time and pretty good food(I am hard to impress) Anyway I order a Wild Turkey 101 neat....It comes to the table...the smell is wrong..the taste not right..:ermm: Instead of bothering the little waitress I walk to the bar..had a "conversation" with the bar-keep..He poured me another out of a WT 101 bottle.....returned to the table.. after a few sips..THIS IS NOT WILD TURKEY! rather than make scene I let it go! Towards the end of the evening I had a chance to "visit" with the Manager..He came back later an said he agreed..something was not right. Brought me another drink out of a "fresh" bottle...This time was WT 101. He comped(sp) the drinks!
My younger son worked tables for a spell while in school and he said the owner's regularly put Taka vodka into Grey Goose bottles...So anyway Buyer beware!

Okay I have to fess up.....Forgive me dad :smile: ...... when I was in my late teens my girlfriends and I decided we wanted to make ourselves some Screwdrivers. Well dad had a large bottle .... I think its called a 5th....of Vodka and we proceeded to make ourselves a drink and then another and before we knew it there was only like a 4th left. Well I knew dad wasn't a vodka drinker and still wasn't sure why the heck he had it but I had the brilliant idea to just add water. Well little did I know that dad ended up giving that bottle to the local bar that he frequented...:lol: . Those poor poor customers and not to mention the bartender whom I'm sure got many complaints.

Sorry for you imposter Uncle Bob!

mudbug 02-14-2007 02:18 PM

I have spent all morning getting various Microsoft security updates downloaded and installed on my home computer so that I could log into the VPN (virtual private network) at the office. Many hours later, I still can't connect because so many others are trying to work from home like me!

It's Wednesday and I can only bill for 6 hours of work this week so far.
Tomorrow's gonna be a loooooooooong day.

Alix 02-14-2007 02:21 PM

Ugh. You know the best thing about working from home mudbug? No one is around to tell you not to drink on the job. :wink:

I completely understand your frustration and sympathize. Hope it all works out soon.

mudbug 02-14-2007 02:24 PM

I'm going to take that as permission, Alix! I'll wait until 3 pm, just to be ladylike.

Thanks for the pat on the back and the sympathy.

Alix 02-14-2007 02:26 PM

You know, as my Dad used to say, "the sun is over the yardarm SOMEWHERE in the world".

I know its only a half hour away, but hey, in Europe they are finished dinner and its brandy time.

DampCharcoal 02-14-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alix
Ugh. You know the best thing about working from home mudbug? No one is around to tell you not to drink on the job. :wink:

I completely understand your frustration and sympathize. Hope it all works out soon.

Alix, I'm embarrassed to admit that as long as I've known you, I have absolutely no clue what you do for a living. Whatever it is, it must be pretty sweet if you can drink on the job! :lol:

Alix 02-14-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Alix, I'm embarrassed to admit that as long as I've known you, I have absolutely no clue what you do for a living. Whatever it is, it must be pretty sweet if you can drink on the job! :lol:

Heh heh heh! I don't get to drink on the job, but let me tell you there are moments I wish I COULD!! (I'm a therapist and I work in a residential facility that caters to adolescents and their families)

shpj4 02-14-2007 02:36 PM

I have been having major Panic Attacks and yesterday a friend took me to Kaiser and I learned that my blood pressure was extremely high. I take blood pressure pills every day but apparently those are not helping.

All in all I am not feeling so good.

mudbug 02-14-2007 03:17 PM

I Have To Continue Venting & Ask For Help

sorry, all

One of the many "updates" I had downloaded and installed today was IE 7, whose new toolbar apparently hides or does not include an icon for Favorites. The only bookmark button I see is for Google.

Are all those links lost? I have them on Firefox, but don't know how to transfer them back to IE without copying and pasting each and every dadgum one.

mudbug 02-14-2007 03:34 PM

never mind. I just found it.

urmaniac13 02-15-2007 11:18 AM

I am not too crazy about IE7 either... ever since we installed it everything slowed down on the net. We checked everything else but seems a-okay, combining with some feedbacks from Cris's colleagues and clients, we decided it is the fault of IE7. It is really trying our patience.

I was not crazy about the new version of Photoshop CS2 either, I don't know whether we found a defective copy, but it doesn't take any keyboard command, so we just switched back to the original CS edition. Uffa!!

jkath 02-15-2007 01:12 PM

Hope you're doing better, shpj4.

Mud & urmaniac, at least you know what those thingies are. I have no clue!

Meanwhile my dog & kitty are locked up, since I'm getting a new sliding door put in, and they're sad :sad:

-DEADLY SUSHI- 02-15-2007 01:42 PM

shpj4 I have been taking freshly ground cinnamon for my high blood pressure. It works! I take a tablespoon every day. And it has gone down!
I also get panic attacks. And have been in the ER about once every 6 months. :neutral: Sometimes I have to take a ambulance. :ermm: Get yourself Xanex. It has 'saved' me many times.
I hope and pray youre doing alright.

Snoop Puss 02-15-2007 02:06 PM

Deadly Sushi, that is one huge amount of cinnamon. Not sure where you came up with that for a dosage. You need to be careful with cinnamon as it is potentially carcinogenic in large amounts, though beneficial at lower doses. I've been having a look on the Web. The recommendations I've seen are for no more than a teaspoon a day. Have a look at:

Cancer** By

jkath 02-15-2007 08:05 PM

boy do I need to vent...
Yesterday I got 2 new tires to replace the balding ones! (*ouch!*)
Last night dh's car's engine nearly overheated, so he got a rental car (*little ouch*) and today his buddy, the mechanic said it needed a new water pump (*ouch!!)
Today my house only had cold water. So, I tried to restart the pilot light. No luck, so the Gas Company guy said since my water heater was only a couple of years old, it was the "new model that nobody can get into", so, yep, you guessed it, tomorrow I have to buy and have installed a new one. (*ouch!!!)
I just finished paying the sliding door guy (*ouch!!!!)

and now I'm taking the kids over to mil's for their hot showers.