Dinner on Monday, March 3rd.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i'm thinking of making an eggplant lasagna today. i also have a pound of 20 count shrimp to use, so i was thinking of possibly adding them to the lasagna. anyone ever make seafood lasagna before?

if not, they'll be split up and made into shrimp cocktail for an appy tonight, and a second dish of shrimp and crab fra diavolo for lunch tuesday.

whatcha cookin' this monday?

Obviously nobody's hungry over your way yet buckytom but dinner is well under way for us. Sorry, I'm not a lasagna nor pasta man so I guess the cocktail gets my vote.

For us tonight it's crispy baked pork shoulder chops [rind on] with steamed vegies [potatoes, pumpkin, beans and choco] in white sauce -- healthy huh?

And with my fav. desert - Coconut rice pudding
app. 1 1/2 cups rice
1 can coconut cream
app. 1 1/2 ltr milk
sugar to sweeten
dash of vanilla

Simmer until rice is cooked, add more milk if required but let rice thicken the pudding

Add a handful of raisins or any dried fruit of your preference

Sorry, but I never measure anything when I cook, trial and error is the name of the game

Last edited:
i'm on v.s.t. here, attie. (vampire standard time)

i'm glad to hear early responses from those of you so far ahead of zulu time. gotta do something to stay awake. this may marks the 14th year i've been doing 1 extra midnight shift a week. 6 more years and i can legally qualify as insane. :wacko:

crackers aside, what's choco? and how do you make your white sauce?

Pork and leek sausages with baked beans, and I haven`t decided what else yet...
maybe potato wedges.

v.s.t. ?, I don't envy you, although, the older I get the less I sleep.

Choco is a vegetable that looks very much like a large Packham pear and grows on a vine, very bland and requires an acquired taste. I can't find an image sorry, it's a squash really.

White sauce
Milk
Butter
Flour
Diced onions??
Cheese??
In other words Bechamel
I really like it with smoked Cod - Boil the Cod in milk, then make the sauce with that milk.

Last edited:
Here's one I have :-
INGREDIENTS

500g dried navy beans or cannellini
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
water
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
700g bottle Pasatta
¼ cup treacle
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tbs dry English mustard
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1 small ham hock

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).

In a medium saucepan, combine beans, bicarbonate of soda and cover with water. Bring to the boil, remove from heat and allow to stand for at least two hours. Return saucepan to the heat, bring to the boil, drain.

Heat oil in a large enamelled cast-iron casserole and sauté onion and garlic.

Add the remaining ingredients, including the beans and bring to the boil.

Place the ham hock on top of the beans, cover and place casserole in preheated oven for 4-5 hours.

Remove hock from casserole, discard skin and bone, shred meat. Remove bay leaves before returning shredded meat to the beans. Serve on toast.
---------------------------------------------

We're not a big baked bean eating nation so normally if it doesn't come in a can it doesn't count, but I like this one

Here's one I have :-
INGREDIENTS

500g dried navy beans or cannellini
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
water
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
700g bottle Pasatta
¼ cup treacle
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 tbs dry English mustard
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups chicken stock
1 small ham hock

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).

In a medium saucepan, combine beans, bicarbonate of soda and cover with water. Bring to the boil, remove from heat and allow to stand for at least two hours. Return saucepan to the heat, bring to the boil, drain.

Heat oil in a large enamelled cast-iron casserole and sauté onion and garlic.

Add the remaining ingredients, including the beans and bring to the boil.

Place the ham hock on top of the beans, cover and place casserole in preheated oven for 4-5 hours.

Remove hock from casserole, discard skin and bone, shred meat. Remove bay leaves before returning shredded meat to the beans. Serve on toast.
---------------------------------------------

We're not a big baked bean eating nation so normally if it doesn't come in a can it doesn't count, but I like this one

Your recipe is almost exactly a traditional Boston Baked Bean recipe, attie, and looks great to me! We use a chunk of salt pork in place of the ham hock, but I love your idea.

We ARE a big baked bean-eating region here, and yours is the real thing!

But .... what's Pasatta?

Lee

Last edited:
I was watching an old episode of Bobby Flay's yesterday and he was making fried chicken and it got my mouth watering. Granted its not a part of my healthy eating plan but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. So for us it'll be fried chicken, buttermilk mashed potatoes and green beans with bacon and onion and buttermilk buscuits. This screams comfort food to me and since its a chilly, rainy day here it'll be perfect.

I've decided on Johnsonville sausages done on the grill. With some onions and mushrooms done with a little soy sauce for a topping.
And steak fries, too.

But .... what's Pasatta?

Lee

best way to describe it is a little thicker than tomato juice, but not as thick as a tomato puree.
if you sieve a can of tomatoes, you may use that exactly the same ;)

Last edited:
i'm thinking of making an eggplant lasagna today. i also have a pound of 20 count shrimp to use, so i was thinking of possibly adding them to the lasagna. anyone ever make seafood lasagna before?

if not, they'll be split up and made into shrimp cocktail for an appy tonight, and a second dish of shrimp and crab fra diavolo for lunch tuesday.

whatcha cookin' this monday?
Hi Buckster............to me, the sound of it wouldn't happen in my kitchen. sorry but I'd not use them for that. Save them [that sized shrimp is a real treat] so let them shine and stand alone....just my opinion. oh, how thin do you slice your eggplant?

marinating right now, is a rib eye, large enough for two of us if the man gets home in time that is. he's still in the Yukon.
Edited due to him not coming home for dinner after all. Instead, when he arrives from his flight, he's taking our son out to dinner. Son working at airport for 8 hours tonight so they'll sneak away for a meal of dad and boy. Love that. Dad can talk of his fun adventure and son can feel the proud man he is with his new venture. I'll eat alone so plans have changed due to my eating habits. He'll get the reruns for work tomorrow and will be thankful for them.
Same steak doing its thing in frig marinating.
I made stuffing from the small amount of NYTimes bread that was leftover. The traditional onions/celery/butter/evoo/poultry seasoning. Baking now with...
Baking potatoes/cauliflower/onion/evoo. Doing these 3 roasted veggies for me tonight. So his lunch tomorrow will be steak/stuffing/veggies.
Have a good day/night to you all..........

Last edited:
Pressure-cooker Osso Bucco (first time) and Dina's Peach Apple berry Pie!

Buckytom:
If you're going to add the shrimp to your lasagna, cook em first and then cut em into pieces. There's nothing less romantic than slurping a wiggly ol' shrimp out of your dinner (gulp). If you have a can of clams, you can make a red-seafood lasagna by stirring the clams in with your marinara. Otherwise, I'd go white sauce with seafood, which might not work with your eggplant. How about a shrimp app?

Chicken (legs and thighs) browned a bit then into the crock-pot with some sauteed onions and mushrooms, sherry, and Italian seasoning. Will either serve over rice or pasta. Buttered broccoli on the side and brownies for dessert.

Back
Top Bottom