Wrapping Roasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddupont

Assistant Cook
Perhaps it's because I'm not Jaques Pepin, but I'm never happy with how my roasts turn out. With lamb (leg) for example: it always comes out too crunchy on the exterior. So I tried wrapping it (foil has worked best so far). It works to an extent, but wrapped it comes out a little too chewy. So I guess I'm trying to find a happy medium and would love to hear some ideas.

I use butterflied cuts, usually. I'll roast it high at about 450 for 30 mins, then drop it down to about 400/380. Wrapped. Unwrapped I start lower, at 400, then go to 350. I tried going even lower to reduce the crusting, but it gets dryer.

yes an oven. I have a charcoal grill, so we need a critical mass of beer and friends before we cook on it.

You're roasting too hot.

Start it out a 450 for 20 minutes or so then drop it down 240 until desired temp in the meat is reached. No need to wrap. I have been pork loins and Beef roasts this way and the juice just runs from it when sliced.

Make sure the meat has time to rest before you start carving. It should set at least 30 minutes.

Any and all roasts I cook stay covered for 3/4 of the time, between 350 - 375 degrees. Then I uncover for about the last 30 -45 minutes, depending on the type of roast, to let some moisture evaporate to become richer and outside to brown. This also keeps it from getting/staying rubbery.
Uncovered the whole time - dries out. Covered the whole time makes it rubbery.
This has been our time-honored technique for 4 generations.
This pre-disposes you're using your meat thermometer and your oven temps are correct/calibrated.
Then I let meat rest while mashing potatoes and making gravy, or whatever else I decide to serve are being put in serving bowls and put on table, glasses filled, etc.
I guess this takes about 20 minutes or so.

Wrap your lamb in flavor - here's how I do a leg of lamb:

LEG OF LAMB WITH ROSEMARY/MUSTARD PESTO (sort of)

5-6# leg of lamb
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1 TBS soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 branches of rosemary with leaves stripped off
fresh thyme with leaves stripped off (5-6 branches - depending on size)
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or toasted walnuts or pecans

1. Toast pine nuts, walnuts, or pecans, in oven set on 375° F. or toast in dry skillet set on med-high and tossed until done.

2. In a food processor add all of the ingredients except oil. Turn machine on and slowly drizzle in oil until everything is blended. You might not need to use all the oil, or you may need more, it just depends on how much rosemary you used, etc. You want it to be a little thick so it sticks to the lamb and not slide off. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, rosemary, or garlic until it suits your taste. If it's a little strong that's OK because it will help flavor the lamb better.

Put lamb in shallow pan (I use a 9 x 9 stone casserole), cover with this mixture and bake. I bake mine at 325° until 140° as we like ours rare. Take your lamb out about 5° less than you like it and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Will continue cooking after you take out of oven and sitting will let the juices absorb back into the meat and not just run out.

Thanks Kitchenelf! That recipe looks yummy and I have a lamb ready to go for tonight!

I'm coming to your house! I'm the only real lamb lover in my social circle, but they were all surprised when I made lamb kabobs. Everyone loved them. There are only two of us, so if I'm firing up the charcoal grill I make us several meals. For example, if I'm cooking a steak or ribs (the primary meal) I will also throw on an entire package of chicken breasts and maybe a London-broil-type cut. I will also throw on at the very least a package of seasoned onions, but quite often some zuchini and eggplant (courgettes and aubergines) and whatever else looks good in the vegetable world.

Back
Top Bottom