Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Hi, need menu help and ideas. (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/hi-need-menu-help-and-ideas-53253.html)

CharlieD 12-16-2008 11:28 AM

Hi, need menu help and ideas.

I am planning this event, branch after wedding, but it will be late in the day :wink: . The bride to be requested to make it dairy.

She wants penne a la vodka, thatís fine,
Iím thinking onion soup
and maybe lasagna,

but what else. I am open for suggestions and revision of what I already have, except the bridal request. I am talking about 50-60 people :ohmy:.

Dairy or vegetarian dishes only, please. :chef:

pdswife 12-16-2008 11:38 AM

Well... gotta have lots of garlic bread to go with all the above mentioned foods

Spinach salad... I'm a huge fan of the one Jkath posted on here. It has a wonderful orange dressing.

CharlieD 12-16-2008 11:57 AM

Yes definitely garlic bread.

CharlieD 12-16-2008 11:59 AM

Oh, yeah, salad, I do not like vegies, and never think about that, that's bad. But spinach salad with some cheese and nice dressing might be a good idea.

What else? Keep it coming.

GhettoRacingKid 12-16-2008 12:11 PM

what about a platter of either roasted veggies or grilled veggies?

The root veggies which are some what in season now roast very well.

maybe some spinach ricotta cakes

jennyema 12-16-2008 12:13 PM

I probably wouldn't make 2 pasta dishes.

This is a brunch? If so, what about frittatas or crepes ?

vyapti 12-16-2008 12:21 PM

I make a Mushroom Bolognese sauce that would be a good base for lasagna, maybe with layers of Parmesan or Ricotta, sauce and bechamel. I use soy milk and tofu (instead of ricotta), but you wouldn't have those restrictions. Cabbage would be a good cooked vegetable. It can simmer in a pot forever--and be kept warm until needed. Cold rice salad could me made ahead too.

Sounds fun, good luck =)

Jeff G. 12-16-2008 12:39 PM

Make cream of onion soup, spanakopita is always a favorite. Eggplant parmigiana, Braised leeks, tomato and feta cheese salad with black olives with a greek olive oil dressing.

Jeekinz 12-16-2008 12:41 PM

Mac & Cheese

pdswife 12-16-2008 01:02 PM

Here is the salad I was talking about Charlie

https://mazatlanparaiso.myfamily.com/p

Make Dressing first, as it needs to chill:
1/2 c. cider vinegar
1 c. granulated sugar
Microwave 2+ minutes on high till boiling
Stir, and add:
1/2 c. oil
Juice of 1 large navel orange
Store in bottle; You'll need to give the bottle a good shake right before serving.

In large bowl, mix:

1 prepackaged baby spinach
1 can (drained) mandarin oranges
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Add:
1 packaged (I used Louis Rich) honey roasted chicken (not slices!), cut up
Stir genty

Put into glass bowl (really looks pretty), and top with:
1 package fresh raspberries
prepackaged candied pecans (just enough to look right)

Just before serving, drizzle with orange dressing

anni 12-16-2008 01:35 PM

What about a vegetarian version of Italian Wedding Soup instead of the onion?

CharlieD 12-16-2008 07:29 PM

hM, iTALIAN WEDDING SOUP, THAT MIGHT BE INTEESTING, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE THE GROOM DUDE SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN iTALY FOR WORK.

Oops, sorry about the caps.

CharlieD 12-16-2008 10:56 PM

Anni, Do you have a vegetarian recipe for the soup?

Clienta 12-16-2008 11:08 PM

Some other ideas....fresh fruit salad, curried couscous, waldorf salad, tabouli, mousaka, cheese & mushroom tortellini caesar salad, quiche, assortment of breads (pumpkin, carrot, zucchini, banana) with flavored butters, lentil salad.

deelady 12-16-2008 11:13 PM

I thought these sounded good....

Cream cheese and herb cucumber bites

or

Italian Marinated Vegetable salad

and for something sweet....chocolate covered strawberries with champagne:wink:

Dave Hutchins 12-16-2008 11:58 PM

Persian Spinach

8 ounces cream Cheese room temperature
1 10 ounce pkg of frozen Spinach rung dry
1/2stick of Butter
1/2 Tbl of Fenugreek seed ground
1/4 tsp of red Chili flakes
1/2 Tbl Turmeric
1 tsp Cumin seed
2 Tbl of Parmesan cheese

Melt butter add spices saute for 3-5 minutes till you can smell the spices. Add Spinach and cook till hot through add Cream cheese and stir till well-blended salt and Pepper to taste and put in a casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. butter or non stick spray { Pam } casserole dish
Bake @ 350* for thirty minutes or until heated serves 2- as Dinner or 6 as 1st course I made this for some vegetarians and it was a winner Just last week it can be doubeled tripled till you get what servings you need

anni 12-17-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 747681)
Anni, Do you have a vegetarian recipe for the soup?

No, I don't. What I was thinking was that you could use vegetable stock instead of the chicken/meat stock and vegetarian meatballs (I've seen them frozen) for the meatballs.

vyapti 12-17-2008 11:19 AM

I've never tried store bought 'meat'balls, but I would be concerned that they may fall apart. Binding is often a problem with fake meat products. So, if you buy them, I would definitely do a test batch, especially for a wedding. Another option would be to use Italian 'Sausage.' If you can get Field Roast in your area (probably a specialty store), they make a very good Italian Sausage. I think Tofurkey is OK at best.

If you felt adventurous, and wanted to make your own, I think both of these would hold up well in soup (a little less sure about the meatballs)

Tempeh Meatballs
Seitan Italian Sausage

anni 12-17-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyapti (Post 747912)
I've never tried store bought 'meat'balls, but I would be concerned that they may fall apart. Binding is often a problem with fake meat products. So, if you buy them, I would definitely do a test batch, especially for a wedding. Another option would be to use Italian 'Sausage.' If you can get Field Roast in your area (probably a specialty store), they make a very good Italian Sausage. I think Tofurkey is OK at best.

If you felt adventurous, and wanted to make your own, I think both of these would hold up well in soup (a little less sure about the meatballs)

Tempeh Meatballs
Seitan Italian Sausage

Good ideas. I'm not a vegetarian so the only "veggie" meat I've tasted are Boca Burgers. LOL!

Would a firm tofu cubed up work?

CharlieD 12-17-2008 02:55 PM

I am far from vegetarian, and I doubt i would as much as touch one of those fake things. I actually have read some recipes for that soup on line and it really looks like meat balls really is a main ingridient. So I think it's out of the question. so I'm back to onin soup or maybe minestrone.