Any tv dinners that might rival home cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cannot comment on TV dinners specifically, but there are some decent frozen entrees available.

My memories having TV dinners (in the 50's) was always being excited to have those foil trays. Contents were a bit disappointing, even as a child. I did adore having each part separated! :LOL: Dessert often was eaten first.

There are some very good things out there but comparatively speaking, expensive and not for everyday. It is called trial and error to find the ones you like.

I find, due to circumstance, I am looking at them more often. Not necessarily frozen but some. Example, I buy frozen hamburger patties and have found a wonderful 'ready to eat' Mac'n Cheese. It's a large serving and I think with my next one I will halve and freeze - just to see how it goes.

If I concentrate, I can still taste the brownie mixed with the corn, with a slight metallic aftertaste.

Yep. That was livin'.

Salisburry steak, meatloaf, mac and cheese, Stoufer's lasagna, some pot pies are pretty good. Ready made Asian dinners are also usually good, things like orange chicken, General Tso's chicken, shrimp dishes, pot stickers, all good. Beef and gravy is good as well. Many Mexican offerings are pretty tasty.

Of course some brands are better than others. Amy's, Stoufers, Swanson, Marie Callendar's are some worth eating. I tend to prefer breaded, grilled, or baked fish to battered fish offerings. Not a tv dinner, but Stag brand chili is about the best canned chilli IMHO. And I prefer VanCamps pork & beans, or Bush's original, as they are easy to doctor. I don't care for store bought egg rools, as they are full of mushy cabbage.

Well, that should be enough to get you started.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Its been decades since I've had one. I miss them for nostalgic purposes. As far as rivaling home cooking, for me it was a something in addition to home cooking. My mom wasn't the greatest cook, so having them was a break from her cooking. So maybe they did rival her cooking. My dad was much more adventurous, always bringing something new and unique to the table, The tv dinners couldn't come close to what he put on the table.

I honestly didnt even know they still made them.

If I concentrate, I can still taste the brownie mixed with the corn, with a slight metallic aftertaste.

Yep. That was livin'.
Actually you've made me remember, not ALL of them came with dessert. Those were disappointing.

No.
No. No.
:LOL::LOL: yeah but sometimes even you must not feel like cooking?

.... I miss them for nostalgic purposes.
....... I honestly didnt even know they still made them.

Before a couple of threads ago, I didn't realize either. There was alway frozen fish sticks and french fries, individual bagged vegies but until the big, big box stores, with huge banks of freezers, I never realized the extent of frozen meals available. My first gut reaction to them was always "They must be mushy and full of salt" So I never looked at nor tried them.

Back
Top Bottom