Back in the Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff H. said:
The thermometer seems to be reading good. Can't say much for the potato.
Cliff I bought some alligator clips from radio shack and used a pair of needle nose to open the hole some, the probe fits right into the hole perfect and then I clip it to the grate....

Wood is easy for me to come by. My Inlaws across the street have about 10 big pecan trees. My brother in Texas has been splitting red oak, white oak, and hickory ever since the Hurricane blew up from Beaumont earlier this year.

Temp up to 190

Cliff H. said:
Wood is easy for me to come by. My Inlaws across the street have about 10 big pecan trees. My brother in Texas has been splitting red oak, white oak, and hickory ever since the Hurricane blew up from Beaumont earlier this year.

Temp up to 190
Man I am envious, I have to beg borrow and steal to get wood......That brisket is almost there.

wittdog said:
Cliff H. said:
The thermometer seems to be reading good. Can't say much for the potato.
Cliff I bought some alligator clips from radio shack and used a pair of needle nose to open the hole some, the probe fits right into the hole perfect and then I clip it to the grate....

I have been meaning to buy some clips.

We've pulled the briskets off around 195 degrees and had good luck. I think a lot of it just depends on the brisket. If it feels tender enough, I'd pull it when you needed to. (Sometimes we get on a time constraint either because of events or because of our tummies growling. If we can't let it rest very long, we will just slice what we need and wrap the other part up to continue resting. We haven't found with our method that a long rest versus a fairly short rest makes all that much difference.

Cliff H. said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Cliff H.":xq6uzu9k]The thermometer seems to be reading good. Can't say much for the potato.

I have been meaning to buy some clips.[/quote:xq6uzu9k]
They work great. I also use them on the WSM to hold my digital dome therm in place. Clip it right on the top vent....I do need to install a tru temp on the WSM my Mavericks range is good for nothing. I typically pull mine at 195* but I've also pulled my sooner. You can kind of tell how done the brisket is by how bendable it is. If you pull before 195* double wrap it on foil it will help to keep the heat in. You should let it rest for at least 45 min if not longer.

wittdog said:
Cliff H. said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Cliff H.":3tg192p7]The thermometer seems to be reading good. Can't say much for the potato.

They work great. I also use them on the WSM to hold my digital dome therm in place. Clip it right on the top vent....I do need to install a tru temp on the WSM my Mavericks range is good for nothing.[/quote:3tg192p7]
Greg just did a mod to boost his range ~ Maybe he can help you... 8-[

The Joker said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1ev0hzri]
wittdog said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1ev0hzri]The thermometer seems to be reading good. Can't say much for the potato.

They work great. I also use them on the WSM to hold my digital dome therm in place. Clip it right on the top vent....I do need to install a tru temp on the WSM my Mavericks range is good for nothing.[/quote:1ev0hzri]
Greg just did a mod to boost his range ~ Maybe he can help you... 8-[[/quote:1ev0hzri]
But can he "hear" when it's reached his set temp? :)

LOL! You guys have known that I wasn't a fan of bark right from the start! It just strikes me as tough and burned. But then again, I'm one of those people that likes my meat as rare as possible. My toast as well. If it gets beyond light tan, I can't eat it. If anything sticks in the pan and gets a dark mark on it, I have to pull that part off and chunk it. Just different taste buds... Maybe that is why I hated the pulled pork so much as well. If you like bark, it had plenty of that, but I chunked it all. Those fat pockets and skin (gag) helped it pull right off.

wittdog said:
allisonandrews said:
Too much bark for me, #-o but it still looks great. Did it produce much juice?
Oh man, IMHO the bark is the best part....So much for the adoption. :razz:
The love connection too. :grin: That's cool ~ It's all about what you like. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom