Braised Lamb Shanks with Roasted Shallots and Dried Cherries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Oh, this one sounds divine. I may have to splurge soon and get some lamb shanks to try it.

The recipe calls for a roasting pan. When you read the directions, you'll notice that you start by roasting the aromatics for an hour first, then removing the pan, and browning the lamb on the stovetop in the same pan. While this is great for the flavor, most home roasting pans aren't up do cooking on the stovetop as well as in the oven. I usually use a cast iron skillet for this, however, lamb shanks are to big for a cast iron skillet and lid, unless you tent with foil. A dutch oven, however, would be great.

Braised Lamb Shanks with Roasted Shallots and Dried Cherries
Yield: 6

2 T olive oil
8 shallots; peeled
6 whole cloves garlic
6 lamb shanks (10 - 12 oz)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ c all-purpose flour
1 c red wine
2 ½ c lamb or veal stock
3 T balsamic vinegar
1 c dried cherries
1 T chopped fresh thyme

Preheat oven to 300°F. Put the olive oil, shallots, and garlic in a large roasting pan, cover with a lid, and place in the oven. Roast for about 1 hour or until the shallots and garlic are soft to the touch. Remove the pan from the oven and place on the stovetop over high heat. Season the shanks with salt and pepper. Place the flour on a large plate and dredge the lamb in it. Place the shanks in the pan and sear both sides well, about 2 minutes on each side. Add the wine and reduce over high heat by about half. Add the stock, vinegar, cherries, and thyme, cover with a lid, and place in the oven. Cook until tender, 1 - 1 ½ hours. Remove the pan from the oven and season the broth to taste with the salt and pepper. Place the lamb on a serving platter.
Slice and serve hot with the sauce spooned over.

The year before last, for Christmas, my wife and I purchased a deep, stainless steel lasagna pan for ourselves from Chef's catalogue. It's a wonderful thing and would work well for the recipe, both in the oven and on the stove-top. I strongly recommend you get one. It's a wonderful thing.

By the way, you guys are killing me with all of these lamb recipes. I love lamb, but can't justify its price as I'm the only one who will eat it. :(

But I can imagine substituting pork with rosemary for the lamb. It could, well maybe could satisfy my cravings.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That recipe looks great,now I want lamb shanks.

Concerning the recipe:

Remove the pan from the oven and place on the stovetop over high heat. Season the shanks with salt and pepper. Place the flour on a large plate and dredge the lamb in it. Place the shanks in the pan and sear both sides well, about 2 minutes on each side.

I would suggest to remove the vegetables from the pan
before proceeding with the browning.Either the vegetables will have given off some liquid and will inhibit the lamb from browning or if the water from the veg has evaporated and
the veg has either started to caramalize or is already the high heat could actually burn the vegetables,and you very well might have to throw them out and start over again.

I would suggest to remove the veg and if they have nicely
caramalized to deglaze with some of the wine at this time,then remove to another container.Clean out the pan
and proceed to brown the lamb and at that time put the veg with the wine back in and proceed with the recipe IMO.

Back
Top Bottom