Beef neck/shank recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tami528

Assistant Cook
We purchased a 1/4 of a cow. I have several cuts of beef I do not normally purchase. The recipes I am finding taste about the same. I would love some tasty soups and other recipes that do not taste like another pot roast or braised short ribs with a wine sauce.
Interested in spicy or oxtail type soup. Korean perhaps
Other recipes as well. Have searched online and I thought you might have better than what I am finding
Thank you
I have beef neck bones 4 lbs
Beef shank probably 2 lbs
Short ribs 2 lb
Cooking tools I have
sous vide
air fryer
insta pot
bbq
regular oven and stove

If you have some meat that can be sliced across the grain and then pounded, I have a Danish recipe that includes juniper berries. I really like it.

I have a recipe for a terrific beef barley soup with mushrooms that will make good use of the shanks.

Also a recipe for Asian braised short ribs.

Those are all good for slow cooking etc.
How about some nice curries?
Thai mussaman,
Indonesian and Malay rendang, smoor (semoor), rawon etc
Indian curries (too many to mention)

And if you want something totally different, push it through a meat grinder for ground meat

I would use the bones for a hearty slow cooked Italian beef Ragu similar to this one.

Serve the sauce with pasta and a bowl of meaty bones family style.

Encourage family and friends to pick up a bone and gnaw/slurp out the meat. Make sure you have a fresh roll of paper towels on the table. Keep an eye on the little ones for any small bits of bone that may end up in the sauce.

Freeze pints of the sauce for quick meals or as the base for a quick soup.

I would use the bones for a hearty slow cooked Italian beef Ragu similar to this one.

Serve the sauce with pasta and a bowl of meaty bones family style.

Encourage family and friends to pick up a bone and gnaw/slurp out the meat. Make sure you have a fresh roll of paper towels on the table. Keep an eye on the little ones for any small bits of bone that may end up in the sauce.

Freeze pints of the sauce for quick meals or as the base for a quick soup.
I think I will make this only not with beef neck. Needs more meat than a neck has. Definitely sounds good though

Asian-Style Boneless Beef Short Ribs

2 Tb Oil
3 Lb Boneless Beef Short Ribs
4 Cl Garlic, minced
2 Tb Ginger, minced
½ C Hoisin Sauce
2 Tb Soy Sauce
2 Tb Dry Sherry
¼ C Chicken Stock
4 EA Scallions
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper

Preheat the oven to 325ºF.

Heat a dutch oven over high heat, add the oil and brown the meat on all sides. Remove to a plate.

Add the garlic, and ginger over medium heat and sweat until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Slice the scallions and separate the green and white parts

Stir in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, chicken stock, scallion whites, and cayenne. Return the meat to the pan.

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and place into the oven, covered, for one hour or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 195ºF – 200ºF. Check the temperature after 45 minutes.

Transfer short ribs to platter, tent loosely with aluminum foil, and let rest.

Reduce the sauce by half and strain it into a fat separator, and let it sit 5 minutes. Pour the defatted sauce into a small bowl. Stir scallion greens into the sauce and serve it with the ribs.

Neck and shank are absolutely the best parts of cow for any, any kind of soup or stew. Pick any recipe you think of use what you have instead of whatever the recipe uses (if they use something else) and you are guaranteed great soup.

For the shanks, Search Caldo de Res. My very favorite soup. It is really a light meal.

Very popular here.

Eric, Austin Tx.

I mentioned oxtail soup as a possibility and subbing the beef shanks. Try this recipe out:

KATIE’S FAVORITE OXTAIL SOUP
(Serves 4)

2 lbs. oxtails, cut into 1½-in. pieces​
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (16-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10½-oz.) can condensed beef broth or equivalent quantity of homemade broth
½ cup water
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp. dried thyme, bruised
1 bay leaf
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienned strips
4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into julienned strips
½ cup frozen peas

Trim visible fat from oxtails and dust with flour. In a soup pot or Dutch oven, brown oxtails in hot oil. Add onion, tomatoes with juice, beef broth, water, wine, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is just tender. Skim off excess fat. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add peas; cook about 5 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve immediately. Note: Don’t be tempted to leave out the parsnips. They add a wonderful peppery depth to the soup.

Back
Top Bottom