de Buyer cracks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluto

Assistant Cook
I have a 5-yr old or more de Buyer 12" mineral b fry pan I use for everything from omelets to clams and linguine. Today I noticed something that looks like hairline cracks on the inside surface. Seven or eight about 2" - 3" long. All oriented along same general axis. My fingernail catches on their raised edge but I don't see anything on the bottom or any leakage. Otherwise all is great. Any ideas?

Your pan is carbon steel if I'm not mistaken. It's not likely to crack. It's too malleable. I suspect the cracks are imperfections in the seasoning. They should be OK if the pan isn't rusting. To feel better about it, just put another coat of seasoning on it.

First of all, you have a great pan! But you already know that because you've been using it for five years. You don't need to worry about delamination. You have a solid carbon steel pan, not a clad pan with layers of different material, such as steel, aluminum, and copper. You have built up a good seasoning over five years. I suspect that the cracks are in the seasoning and not in the metal. You could cook something acidic (I know, not recommended) like spaghetti sauce, and see if the cracks change. Then work on re-seasoning if necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom