Dinner Tuesday, July 14, 2020 ~ Bastille Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Bon après-midi, messieurs and mesdames. Today is France's national day in celebration of a pivotal point in the French Revolution. We're feeling a bit Frenchy today, which started out with toasted, chocolate stuffed brioche rolls and café au lait. Dinner tonight will be coquille st. jacques with haricot verte. Salad will be....Caesar *hangs head in shame* unless I get around to making a favorite 13-ingredient herbed French dressing from scratch.

Et vous? What will your dinner be tonight?

It's a Mexican food kinda day..

Getting ready to put together green chili chicken enchiladas, Mexican rice and will beef up some canned refried beans..Will have chopped tomatoes, etc., to make it all healthy.. :rolleyes:

Ice cream will be dessert..

Ross

The plan is for Frito - Taco salad. However, I seem to be having a clutz day, so I'm not sure I should be cutting up lettuce with a large knife. We'll see. We might order out. I think something from Mr. Falafel sounds appealing.

Bonne Fete Nationale!
(I made a burrito for lunch.)

I was thinking about making a salad nicoise for dinner. I said, Whoa, better get out the turkey platter, this is going to make a Lot. SO heard me and said, Whoa! stop right there. So, my inner self said. very similar to her sounding voice-- I better stop right here.

Tonight's dinner is oven roasted and browned new red potatoes tossed with a dijon vinaigrette before baking, steamed green beans, and blue cheese crumbles. Snipped rosemary, fresh sage, tarragon leaves and a little onion added to complete the dressing. The potatoes are essentially double dressed. The beans dressed and arranged separately, mound of potatoes, blue cheese across the top. Very Festive for a holiday. Serve at room temp. Made the potatoes this morning while those pesky voices were confusing in my head and before the coffee had fully kicked in. Grilled chicken tenders, brushed with the same dressing, if there's any left over. Slice tomatoes with just S&P. Chocolate ice cream with raspberries for this evening's movie. (it's only about 2:30 in the afternoon, so this is anticipated dinner.)

We'll always have Paris...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-dGYjSq5k

Last edited:
It's a Mexican food kinda day..

Getting ready to put together green chili chicken enchiladas, Mexican rice and will beef up some canned refried beans..Will have chopped tomatoes, etc., to make it all healthy.. :rolleyes:

Ice cream will be dessert..

Ross
Some how the healthy stuff didn't get to the plate. 20200714_144954.jpg

Fresh basil gnocchi, with a sauce of cherry heirloom tomatoes, onion, garlic, white wine, pine nuts, basil, Parm R.

Attachments

• 2020-07-14 18.23.53.jpg
    2020-07-14 18.23.53.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 81
The plan is for Frito - Taco salad. However, I seem to be having a clutz day, so I'm not sure I should be cutting up lettuce with a large knife. We'll see. We might order out. I think something from Mr. Falafel sounds appealing.

We ordered from Mr. Falafel. I had the merguez platter and Stirling got the shish taouk platter and we shared a piece of baklava for dessert. That was really, really good. Seems to taste better if it has been a while since we ordered from them.

Individual meat loafs, fried corn, mashed potatoes, and fresh tomatoes and basil. A peach galette for dessert. 20200714_184827.jpg20200714_193035.jpg

Individual meat loafs, fried corn, mashed potatoes, and fresh tomatoes and basil. A peach galette for dessert. View attachment 41824View attachment 41825

That fried corn looks delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe and what all you put in it? Our local farm market is getting ready to put out their fresh corn on the cob, which is amazing. So I'd love to use that in some fried corn.

Last edited:
Bonne Fete Nationale!
(I made a burrito for lunch.)

I was thinking about making a salad nicoise for dinner. I said, Whoa, better get out the turkey platter, this is going to make a Lot. SO heard me and said, Whoa! stop right there. So, my inner self said. very similar to her sounding voice-- I better stop right here.

Tonight's dinner is oven roasted and browned new red potatoes tossed with a dijon vinaigrette before baking, steamed green beans, and blue cheese crumbles. Snipped rosemary, fresh sage, tarragon leaves and a little onion added to complete the dressing. The potatoes are essentially double dressed. The beans dressed and arranged separately, mound of potatoes, blue cheese across the top. Very Festive for a holiday. Serve at room temp. Made the potatoes this morning while those pesky voices were confusing in my head and before the coffee had fully kicked in. Grilled chicken tenders, brushed with the same dressing, if there's any left over. Slice tomatoes with just S&P. Chocolate ice cream with raspberries for this evening's movie. (it's only about 2:30 in the afternoon, so this is anticipated dinner.)

We'll always have Paris...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa-dGYjSq5k

Yer such a romantic Wiska...it's a plus you know what you're doing in the kitchen..good job Bud! :flowers::chef:

Simple fixings here tonight, but really tasty... Brats on buns with red onion and TJ's sauerkraut, loaded pasta salad... German wine without a doubt.

Attachments

• P7140034.jpg
    P7140034.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 55
That fried corn looks delicious. Would you mind sharing your recipe and what all you put in it? Our local farm market is getting ready to put out their fresh corn on the cob, which is amazing. So I'd love to use that in some fried corn.
Thanks!! Sure, it is very easy.

For two of us I used

2 large ears of corn

1/2 orange bell pepper (or any color you like) diced small

2 green onions, tops included, thin sliced

2 Tbs butter

Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. When water drops dance across it, add the butter and swirl to melt.

Add in all the ingredients at once. Stir to combine. Reduce heat.

Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Stir.

Cook until heated through and peppers are crisp tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.

That's it. [emoji41]

Thanks!! Sure, it is very easy.

For two of us I used

2 large ears of corn

1/2 orange bell pepper (or any color you like) diced small

2 green onions, tops included, thin sliced

2 Tbs butter

Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat. When water drops dance across it, add the butter and swirl to melt.

Add in all the ingredients at once. Stir to combine. Reduce heat.

Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Stir.

Cook until heated through and peppers are crisp tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.

That's it. [emoji41]

Wonderful, thank you so much :)

Can't wait to try it!

Back
Top Bottom