Egg Cream... Mississippi Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mine too if you couldn't tell...PURPLE LOL

Yeah not sure where I am going to vote morro either LOL, won't be too hard to find...i think LOL

<takes out her CRACKing hammer> LoL

that just sounds scary....."CRACKing hammer".....saying it really creepy...."CRACKing hammer" *shivers* :LOL: Scurry Bilby Scurry.....

btw.....what in the world is a CRACKing hammer? lol

Rom said:
btw.....what in the world is a CRACKing hammer? lol

Just something I made up on the spur of the moment. But it does sound like a nutcracker huh?

Back to thread topic again...

I tried the method that Wikipedia suggested but using Cottee's Diet Chocolate Topping. Yeuch!! Topping was horrible and did absolutely nothing for the drink. Next one I try will be the alcoholic mocha one, cover up the Cottee's. Think it might be one of those things though that are hard to replicate without having tasted it. It is feasible that I just don't like egg creams but I will persist!!!!

Ballet to me is like torture. I used to do it (very badly and not for very long) but I was taken to too many ballet concerts so I could see how it was meant to be done!! Turned me off for life! Rather go to the opera. That's okay.

I am going to have so much fun on Monday when I come back from grocery shopping. :) Can't wait to try out this recipe!!!

Okies, I tried my first CHOCOLATE egg cream. I LIKE IT!!!! Gonna make another. :)

So whose recipe did you end up using? And your sauce was....?

The recipe I used was at the beginning of this thread, I think Charlie's.

I used:

Garelick Farms whole milk

Hershey's syrup

Adirondack Seltzer

I'll be honest tho, I didn't use measurements, except by eye'ing it.

BTW, whoever said seltzer and club soda is the same is wrong. They are close, but seltzer is peppier.

I just got to get a better syrup I think...

I think your problem is that you're using DIET syrup. LoL Try Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, make the egg cream .. if you like the taste, go for whatever DIET syrup makes that taste or close to that taste. :) And then you can smack me later when you gain weight from the FULL CALORIE egg cream. hehehehe <goes to her corner and hides>

i knew i forgot something last time i went shopping. bugga! have to get the syrup next time i go then :(

I tried a different way. And it's not so much WHAT you put in, but how you put it.

First off, I've been cheating and using a 1-liter diet pepsi bottle, you know, the one with the wide mouth.

I put the syrup and the milk in, and shake it a little, leaving some of the gooey choc sitting on the bottom.

Then I add the seltzer and I do not mix ... I tried mixing it for the first one and it was ok, but it is so much better when you don't mix it.

I think your problem is that you're using DIET syrup. LoL Try Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, make the egg cream .. if you like the taste, go for whatever DIET syrup makes that taste or close to that taste. :) And then you can smack me later when you gain weight from the FULL CALORIE egg cream. hehehehe <goes to her corner and hides>
Gotta identify the bit of fat that is from the egg cream first!:ohmy::LOL:

Have to find another brand of syrup. Don't normally have much in the shop. Might need to go to a gourmet store.

from a little local and familial knowledge (i'm a brooklyn boy, originally), foxes u-bet chocolate syrup was the only flavor used in official egg creams until the company began selling other flavors in the late 50's to early 60's.

today, you can get vanilla, strawberry, raspberry, black cherry, malt, and of course, chocolate flavored syrups for your egg creams.

Yes, but the cheapest I've found for U-Bet's is $4 a bottle. That sucks!! LoL Hershey's I got for less that $2 a bottle :) and Hershey's is a really good name brand. :)

Back
Top Bottom