HELP! Crumbly & Flourless! Sugar Free Peanut Butter Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natnician

Assistant Cook
I just tried a flourless Peanut Butter Cookie they taste delightful, however they crumble in your hands. They are tender, tastee, and moist. They were def. not overcooked. I want to know if anyone knows something that will keep them together.

The recipe is:

1c. Peanut Butter (I used Jiff)
1/2c. Splenda
1 egg large
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking powder

Baked in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 min.

I have always been told that too much flour and overworking will make crumbly.....here that is def. not the case.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Last edited:
Reply to Splenda ratio

The recipe actually called for 1c. of Splenda and I halfed it because it being toooooo Splenda tasting but it did not affect the crumble-ness.

maybe try adding another egg? I'm not familiar with cookies made without flour...

When I make flourless cookies I use this recipe.

1-c. peanut butter
1-c. sugar
1-large egg
1-teas. vanilla
No baking powder
baked at 325 7-9 minutes
kadesma

The recipe actually called for 1c. of Splenda and I halfed it because it being toooooo Splenda tasting but it did not affect the crumble-ness.
As kadesma's recipe says 1 cup sugar. Did your recipe call for 1 cup sugar and you substituted Splenda or was it a Splenda recipe? That's what I was asking.

kadesma do you think the baking powder is doing something to mine? & Have you ever tried your recipe with splenda?

biovixen do you think another egg would make them chewy? How would real butter affect them?

another egg *might* make them chewy actually...I think real butter would definitely help. But if you're worried about dairy allergies I wouldn't chance it. Hmmmm...I know some great bakers I can ask about this. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

I would really love to make this recipe work for 2 reasons....

1. I have been able to loose alot of weight skipping flour & sugar

2. My husband loves peanut butter cookies and peanut butter fudge. He thinks that most recipes for those 2 things aren't peanut buttery enough.

So this is my quest for the perfect peanut buttery cookie! Next I will be search for fudge...although no skipping the sugar there!

So thanks to everyone helping!!!!!

a baker friend of mine said to check the expiration date on your baking soda...it could be expired. She also recommended refrigerating the dough (make sure it's nice and cold) before baking. GL!

kadesma do you think the baking powder is doing something to mine? & Have you ever tried your recipe with splenda?
I'm not sure about the baking powder, my recipe does'nt use it. Yes I tried the splenda, same problem as you had. I thinkg I'll try again using the splenda and some sugar and see what heppens.
kadesma:)

Personally, I think it's probably the Splenda. Something that is moist yet crumbly sort of speaks of the texture diff between sugar and slenda.

A lot of flourless recipes call for baking powder as leavening, so I don't think that's it. And I don't think expired BP would make something crumbly (check it by adding some to water -- it should fizz)

They make a Splenda brown sugar blend, which might work better. But would be more calories.

they might be onto something with the splenda...another baking friend suggested adding one-two egg whites (no yolk).

okay LOVE all the thoughts....I know I am going to get this figured out. However let me see if I have it all.

My baking powder checked it is good.

Should I add 2 egg whites in addition to my 1 egg?

How much butter...if any?

I would do the baking splenda however it is partly sugar so that doesn't help me with no sugar....not trying to cut calories just the sugar.

Back
Top Bottom