How do you feel when people change your recipe around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me recipes are ballpark guide lines, and I often change amounts, ingredients, because of personal preference or what I have on hand. Some of things I still cook is how I remember my mom doing it and as the years have gone by I don't know how much or little I may of change some of them.

So what I'm saying is it wouldn't bother me at all to have someone change it up a bit. Heck my deviled eggs or macaroni salad is never exactly the same and been asked multiple times for the recipe for both. My response normally after a moment of thought is I'm not sure I remember how I made this batch. No joke, one of these days I should start and write things down and make a written recipe from the ways I like certain dishes best.

I don't mind at all. I think thats part of the beauty when it comes to cooking, that we can adapt. When i can i try and credit the base recipe but I have so many that it is hard to remember where some came from.

If someone altered my recipe and it tasted bad and they said it was my recipe, i would most likely speak up and say it had some changes. But otherwise go for it!

When you look up a recipe on the Internet, there are probably more than 100 versions of what you are looking for. They all are different in some small way. So where did the recipe start in the first place? Most likely the original was created by just one person and changed each time someone else made it.

I saw somewhere, can't remember where but, there is no such thing as an original recipe.
I mean, think about it.
The only real thing about cooking that has changed over the millenniums is technique.
AND, I too have posted numerous "recipes" on my blog and other Social Media sites; I never thought to look if one of those "Celebrity Chefs" pulled a copy-cat on me, but, oh well, GO FOR IT!
"A recipe is simply someone else's idea. Take it and make it your own!"

Who cares if someone asks for, then modifies a recipe of yours unless they somehow make it poorly with their changes, then say it was your recipe, lol.

On the same note, I'm happy if someone can make my recipe better. And then I'll be making their recipe, with full credit to them.

unless they somehow make it poorly with their changes, then say it was your recipe, lol.

Thats really my only fear :LOL:

And unfortunately, Ive had it happen, then announced to everyone that it was my recipe. I was horrified. I couldn't say anything , as not to embarrass the host , but I felt like I had to redeem myself at the next event.

Yeah, that's some choppy water. You almost have to make it again for the same folks to prove the recipe was sound.

It doesn't bother me...

The only exception is if someone says, "I changed this for that, added some XXX and didn't like how it tasted." Well, duh!! :rolleyes:

Happened to me once when I passed on a crab dip recipe our family has used since the 60's...

Ross

I saw somewhere, can't remember where but, there is no such thing as an original recipe.
I mean, think about it.
The only real thing about cooking that has changed over the millenniums is technique.
AND, I too have posted numerous "recipes" on my blog and other Social Media sites; I never thought to look if one of those "Celebrity Chefs" pulled a copy-cat on me, but, oh well, GO FOR IT!
"A recipe is simply someone else's idea. Take it and make it your own!"

Actually, if you've ever watched "Chopped!", then you have definitely seen some very original recipe creation. Sometimes it's an old one with "unusual"
(to say the least :wacko: ) ingredients, other times it's totally unique. That's just an expected feature of the show.

I love to see the reaction of the judges when they are presented with an original creation that turns out to be a major mistake in judgement. Those ones will probably NOT be copied. :yuk:

.... My response ..... is I'm not sure I remember how I made this batch.

No joke, one of these days I should start and write things down and make a written recipe from the ways I like certain dishes best.

I've tried to do that, write down the first three things and steps then get too busy and forget... when trying to go back ... can't remember! LOL

It's the exact same with taking pictures of a dish. Take some at the beginning, then forget completely and have only an empty plate to photo! :LOL:

I think the problem being discussed is ' What is passing off and what isn't'. If we want to be absolutely clear about the source of the recipe, then it would be correct practice to say 'adapted from.......', but very few people do that, and it's a rocky road, because if you get found out for passing off.........!! I may be rigid about this, but I do feel it's correct practice to say :'taken from.........'. There's nothing to lose by doing that, especially is you say 'the original says this, and I do that', after all, we're all together in sharing our knowledge and many other things, so what difference does it make if you indicate the original source!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Kinda expanding off the thread of " Who follows recipes exactly", I was just curious how you people feel when someone asks you for your recipe, you give it to them, then they 'make changes and ( in their eyes) improvements'?

On the outside, and in general, I personally don't care. Im sure, on the inside, a little bit of me asks the question ' why did you mess around with my recipe? " .

But I guess the only thing that does annoy me, is when someone asks for your recipe, makes it ( with all their changes) for the next family gathering, and then announces how they made ' your' recipe. or even worse, makes it exactly then claims it as their own (both have happened to me in the past).

If its someone who I know, knows how to cook, I mind less or not at all, when compared to the person who doesn't know what they're doing, doesn't have functional taste buds, and kinda half-asses the recipe.
It doesn't bother me if they adapt a recipe I've given them. I do it so why shouldn't they.

I don't give a flip you change my recipe. but once you do that, it's now your recipe not mine. You might feel all "lofty confident" and assume you made my recipe better, but you'll never really know if you never made my recipe in the first place. Jes sayin....;):rolleyes::whistling

I don't give a flip you change my recipe. but once you do that, it's now your recipe not mine. You might feel all "lofty confident" and assume you made my recipe better, but you'll never really know if you never made my recipe in the first place. Jes sayin....;):rolleyes::whistling

So you are one of those folks who deliberately leave out an ingredient so the recipient makes an unknowing error? I would hope that person gives you all the credit you deserve. ;) Jess saying! :rolleyes:

So you are one of those folks who deliberately leave out an ingredient so the recipient makes an unknowing error? I would hope that person gives you all the credit you deserve. ;) Jess saying! :rolleyes:

Addie, why on earth would you assume I would deliberately alter a recipe of mine?

I would never do such a thing for any reason, although maybe you would since you thought of it. :mad:

Addie, why on earth would you assume I would deliberately alter a recipe of mine?

I would never do such a thing for any reason, although maybe you would since you thought of it. :mad:

Did you not see the wink? I was teasing you. Calm down. It is not good for your health to get all het up over something so minor.

This post sure didn't seem like good natured 'teasing' to me. Neither did your response to Kay when she called you out on it. (winky ;)) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom